B12 and D trending up - requesting dosing help

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, etc. here
kw202
Family Member

B12 and D trending up - requesting dosing help

Post by kw202 »

My vitamin D, after two rounds of megadosing in different ways, is now up to 58 ng/ml, which is much closer to where I want to be - but still not quite there yet.

I will probably do another megadose after I let my body settle out from the steroids I've just been on a bit. So my first method was to take a 400,000 IU dose followed by 10,000 IU daily supplementation, which raised me from 9.9 - 33.3 ng/ml. My next method was to take 50,000 IU daily for 10 days, followed by 10,000 IU daily supplementation, which raised me from 33.3 - 58 ng/ml. The second method seems to have been slightly more effective. When I get to the level I want to be (80-100) I'll have to start experimenting with what is an appropriate maintenance dose for me, more testing etc. But I'm getting there.

My B12 has also increased tremendously, from 192 (and declining - the prior test was 228) to 746. The upper range of normal is 1,000. What is the suggested therapeutic dose for MS or generally for those exhibiting neurological symptoms? My neurologist told me if you're exhibiting neurological symptoms the minimum level is 600. But I'm not interested in the minimum. I'm interested in the ideal protective level. This will determine how much I drop back on B12 and when.

I have been eating leafy greens daily like a rabbit and also aggressively supplementing B12 - checking my records, I've been taking 6,000 mcg daily since 12/12 - exactly a month. So I will probably drop back a bit and then see how I am at retest - though I'm not sure how much. Suggestions welcome.

At the time of that test that returned B12 of 192, I was also on the low side of normal for folate, so I've been supplementing methylfolate at 1000 mcg daily since that time as well to help with absorption. My multivitamin that I'm taking now has 200 mcg of folic acid (not as good, but) - so I may just drop the methylfolate and see how I do at retest.

I also had a new CBC and metabolic panel run but haven't seen those results yet. And when I see my GP in March, I'll probably ask her to run a more thorough nutrient screen for me.

Return to “Natural Approach”