Lecithin

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, etc. here
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Lecithin

Post by CureOrBust »

I came accross the following a little while back. I have since added lechithin to my daily regimine. Although its a trial of one, someone had an improvement from it, who knows, maybe it will help me.

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/dgarneau/health4f.htm
LECITHIN (Phosphatidyl Choline) is taken up directly by the brain at once to help the brain make acetylcholine. It was believed that only alcohol or powerful drugs were thought to be able to cross this blood brain barrier so easily. Autopsies show that multiple sclerosis patients have significantly less lecithin in the brain, spine and myelin sheath than normal persons. The autopsies also show that the lecithin that is present in the brain and myelin sheath of these MS victims is essentially composed of all saturated fatty acids and no unsaturated fatty acids. MS is also known to have a much higher incidence in countries where the diet is high in saturated fats. We have since learned that its trans fats rather than saturated fats. Lecithin act as an emulsifier and breaks down the fats and cholesterol in the diet into tiny particles and held them in suspension, preventing them from sticking to blood platelets or arterial walls. Lecithin granules are considered most effective and should be taken at meal time. Lecithin oil has been known to aggravate complexion problems. I have not seen clinical studies to support this theory but the risks and cost appears low. Foods high in lecithin include soybeans, other legumes, grains, wheat germ, brewers yeast, fish, and egg yokes. Soybeans is considered more effective than egg yokes.

My wife with Ms is about 9.3 on the physical disability scale and has advanced cognitive impairment. She doesn't know where she is 3-4 times a week, is unable to speak for short periods of time, maybe 5-6 times a week. Is very confused while attempting to discuss things. We started, 1 tab/day, 1,200 mg unbleached, pure soy lecithin October 18, 2003. Within the first week she has not had a single loss of location incident. She has not had one single incident of being unable to speak during the day and only one incident upon first awaking at night. Friends and family can't believe the improvement especially in her renewed participation in discussions. There has been no noticeable difference in the physical attributes of Ms. Not known is if these improvements are permanent or just a temporary improvement. These improvements are still evident January, 2005. In February 2005 I have noticed some return of mild cognitive Impairment. It is too soon to be sure but I suspect the disease is still progressing but has given us 2 years or more of arrested progression. Wife has had swallowing of liquids problems with fluid going into lungs and has shown a marked improvement under lecithin but we have had one return episode in February 2005. August 1, 2005, some examples of cognitive impairment, one incident of not knowing where she is, three incidents of mild logic confusion during July. I think these warning symptoms of cognitive impairment are equal to 2000 symptoms. I suspect we have just bought time in the progression of this disease symptom? Wife is mostly confined to bed with bed sore battle.

WARNING One side effect of lecithin is elevated blood sugars. Both myself and my wife developed elevated blood sugars. We have both being using lecithin for the same period 1,200 mg, unbleached, pure soy. I elevated from 7.1 to 8.1 and ranged to 9.1. I withdrew myself from lecithin after day-1, I dropped to 8.7, after day-2, I dropped to 8.3, these were all fasting tests and normal diet was not changed for test period. The wife's blood sugars remain consistently high. We will continue to monitor progress. In February 2005 doubled dose to 2,400 mg lecithin but blood sugars elevated to 12.0 and 14.0 so we cut back to 1,200 mg. Blood sugars dropped back to 8.1 over a few days.

And now I found the following link. From when I was first diagnosed, i read about the lack of cross-over between those with gout and those with MS. I have since been taking Inosine & Molybdenum to increase my uric acid levels (they were below normal on my blood test, a common case for MS sufferers). And now I read that Lecithin can cause Gout in overdose (among other nasty things...).
http://www.acu-cell.com/bx2.html

I also searched this site, and found:

http://www.thisisms.com/ftopicp-5176.html
11) Lecithin: Lecithin is the glyceryl ester of a pair of fatty acids and a substituted phosphoric acid group attached to a choline radical. “Choline” is one of the products of lecithin, representing about 15 percent of the molecule. Lecithin placed in water and observed under the microscope, will diffuse out, forming long, curving strands (myelin forms). The hydrophilic nature of the lecithin molecule plays an important part in the structure and properties of cell membranes. It is the lipid used in nerve tissue. We give 1200 mg. Soybean Lecithin after each meal.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

stumbled across this link, searched on this site, and saw a relationship to this thread.

Use of choline in the treatment of ataxia associated with multiple sclerosis
patients with independently documented multiple sclerosis. Both reported enhanced balance and gait.
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articl ... id=1704645

Its a little bit contradictory, as latter in the report they say
The other patient, however, demonstrated a 19% increase in his ability to stand on one leg (.jZ test, P < 0.01) (Table 1). His subjective symptoms (blurred vision, headache and dizziness) did not correlate with the absence of choline.
I also like this in the way the Dr took it all into his own hands and ran a simulated double blind study out of his practice.