Dietary chelators

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, etc. here
dignan
Family Elder

Dietary chelators

Post by dignan »

I don't know if this will be helpful for MS sufferers, but I thought it looked interesting.

Dietary chelators as antioxidant enzyme mimetics: implications for dietary intervention in neurodegenerative diseases.

Behav Pharmacol. 2006 Sep;17(5-6):425-430.
Hague T, Andrews PL, Barker J, Naughton DP.
School of aLife Sciences bPharmacy and Chemistry, Kingston University, Kingston-upon-Thames, Surrey cDivision of Basic Medical Sciences, St George's University of London, London, UK.

Following recent reviews on the role of metal ions in oxidative stress and neurodegenerative diseases, this article reports advances in the study of dietary components for the control of these conditions.

Poor metal ion homeostasis is credited with pathological roles in the progression of a number of disorders including Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease and multiple sclerosis. Synthetic metal ion chelators continue to show promise as a new therapeutic approach for neurodegenerative disorders. Dietary chelators, unlike most vitamins, are, however, capable of negating or even reversing the roles of metal ions by: (i) decorporation of metal ions, (ii) redox silencing, (iii) dissolution of deposits, and (iv) generation of an antioxidant enzyme mimetic.

This review gives a critical evaluation of recent progress in, and potential for, dietary control of neurodegeneration on the basis of the formation of antioxidant enzyme mimetics.

<shortened url>