2017 study: desalinated water = lower serum mag

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, bee stings, etc. here

2017 study: desalinated water = lower serum mag

Postby jimmylegs » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:21 pm

Seawater desalination and serum magnesium concentrations in Israel
http://jwh.iwaponline.com/content/15/2/296
With increasing shortage of fresh water globally, more countries are consuming desalinated seawater (DSW). In Israel >50% of drinking water is now derived from DSW. Desalination removes magnesium, and hypomagnesaemia has been associated with increased cardiac morbidity and mortality. Presently the impact of consuming DSW on body magnesium status has not been established. We quantified changes in serum magnesium in a large population based study (n = 66,764), before and after desalination in regions consuming DSW and in regions where DSW has not been used. In the communities that switched to DSW in 2013, the mean serum magnesium was 2.065 ± 0.19 mg/dl before desalination and fell to 2.057 ± 0.19 mg/dl thereafter (p < 0.0001). In these communities 1.62% of subjects exhibited serum magnesium concentrations ≤1.6 mg/dl between 2010 and 2013. This proportion increased by 24% between 2010–2013 and 2015–2016 to 2.01% (p = 0.0019). In contrast, no such changes were recorded in the communities that did not consume DSW. Due to the emerging evidence of increased cardiac morbidity and mortality associated with hypomagnesaemia, it is vital to consider re-introduction of magnesium to DSW.
now if only they were using 2.3 mg/dl as the break point, they'd probably have a more realistic sense of the magnitude of the issue... 1.6 mg/dl is a pretty bad number... :S
odd sx? no dx? check w/ dietitian
DRI=MINIMUM eg bit.ly/1vgQclQ
99% don't meet these. meds/lifestyle can affect levels
status can be low in ms & other cond'ns
'but my results are normal'. typical panels don't test all
deficits occur in 'normal' range
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Advertisement

Re: 2017 study: desalinated water = lower serum mag

Postby lyndacarol » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:49 pm

Just a couple nights ago, my husband and I watched an episode of the series Parched on the National Geographic Channel. It focused on the seawater desalination in Israel – something that we knew nothing about.

There was no mention of desalination removing magnesium.

By the way, I have read somewhere recently that reverse osmosis also removes magnesium.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Postby NHE » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:47 pm

lyndacarol wrote:By the way, I have read somewhere recently that reverse osmosis also removes magnesium.

Yes. Reverse osmosis water has such low ion concentration that it can leach minerals from your body. It also tastes pretty flat.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:43 am

RO, and they also have to remove mag from standard tap water too, so that it doesn't clog up the pipes with deposits. i remember WAY back talking that over with cheer, and she commented at the time that she'd been brought up on well water and jeff on city water. also, recall thx's improvements after switching up a years-long RO water routine. http://bit.ly/2jyBRDh in reviewing old pm chats from 2014 i found a note i sent to thx from the mgwater site, to the effect that fluoride in water also ties up magnesium. i had forgotten about that little twist. i haven't been viewing my mag intake as in part a compensation for ubiquitous water *additives*. had been thinking primarily of mag as a way to address a *gap*.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:38 pm

don't have time to process this tidbit. will need full text and more free time. for now, just throwing it in the mix

Effects of drinking desalinated seawater on cell viability and proliferation
http://jwh.iwaponline.com/content/early ... h.2017.252
Desalination of seawater is becoming an important means to address the increasing scarcity of freshwater resources in the world. Seawater has been used as drinking water in the health, food, and medical fields and various beneficial effects have been suggested, although not confirmed. Given the presence of 63 minerals and trace elements in drinking desalinated seawater (63 DSW), we evaluated their effects on the behavior of tumorigenic and nontumorigenic cells through the 3-(4,5-dimethylthiazol-2-yl)-2,5-diphenyl tetrazolium bromide assay and annexin-V-fluorescein isothiocyanate/propidium iodide staining. Our results showed that cell viability and proliferation in the presence of 63 DSW were significantly greater than in mineral water and in the presence of fetal bovine serum in a dose-dependent manner. Furthermore, 63 DSW showed no toxic effect on murine embryonic fibroblast (NIH-3T3) and murine melanoma (B16-F10) cells. In another assay, we also showed that pre-treatment of non-adherent THP-1 cells with 63 DSW reduces apoptosis incidence, suggesting a protective effect against cell death. We conclude that cell viability and proliferation were improved by the mineral components of 63 DSW and this effect can guide further studies on health effects associated with DSW consumption.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby ElliotB » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:16 pm

"Reverse osmosis water has such low ion concentration that it can leach minerals"

This is true of most RO systems but there is (at least) one that adds mineral back in through a filter (remineralization filter) that connects between the filtered water storage tank and the faucet - I have had the system for about 6 months and am very happy with it..

http://www.aquasana.com/drinking-water- ... is-claryum
ElliotB
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:24 pm

my tap water filter (not RO) has a 'remineralization' feature but i think it is likely snake oil since there's no data provided on typical change to mineral content in the water pre and post filtration. probably just as well off with plain old filtered water and a multimineral pill. would have been nice to have more confidence in the post-filter product, since the filters themselves aren't exactly cheap.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

update Re: 2017 study: desalinated water = lower serum mag

Postby jimmylegs » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:06 pm

Magnesium deficiency in tap water in Israel: The desalination era (2018)
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 6417313401

Highlights
• Tap water in Israel is of good quality and potable.
• Use of desalinated water in Israel leads to Mg deficiency in drinking water.
• Household filtration of tap water worsens Mg deficiency.
• Tap water sources are: ground water, surface water and desalinated water.
• Strong daily changes in mineral content of tap water due to mixing of water sources.

Abstract
Water desalination has been extensively developed in Israel, particularly in the last decade. The desalination process provides fresh water that typically lacks minerals, and among these are ions that are essential to human health and/or to agricultural production, such as Mg. We analyzed 28 tap water samples originating from different cities across Israel to document their concentrations of Mg and other elements. The data from this survey (summer 2016) were compared with the results of similar observations conducted in 2008. Regarding toxic elements, tap water across Israel does not pose any health risk for consumers and may be used as drinking water without any household pretreatment. This condition has not changed since 2008. However, the problem of Mg deficiency due to the use of desalinated water was observed in about half of the sampling locations in 2016, whereas no Mg deficiency had been detected in 2008. Moreover, household filtration of tap water prior to consumption as drinking water may worsen the situation due to the Mg status resulting from rejection of this ion; this could be harmful to the consumer, particularly under prolonged exposure.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Return to Natural Approach