I eliminated my post

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, etc. here
beatms
Family Member

I eliminated my post

Post by beatms »

I eliminated my post
Last edited by beatms on Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:24 am, edited 8 times in total.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Oil of Oregano and MS

Post by NHE »

beatms wrote:I've used Oil of Oregano which I believe has been very successful at eliminating the underlying cause of MS, system yeast infection that started in the gut.
Is it possible that this might be overstated?
Last edited by NHE on Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

once again, i think ms symptoms can arise from an array of conditions, which would explain why what works for some doesn't work for others, and candida could be one of the problems, and oil of oregano could have helped dave.

or candida could be opportunistic... but why not get rid of it if it's a problem... oil of oregano can help.

interestingly, my naturopath's recommended diet for minimizing ms symptoms is exactly right for starving candida to death. (and she thinks the candida is opportunistic).

ttfn :)
MSresearcher
Getting to Know You...

Post by MSresearcher »

NHE misquoted Dave "BEATMS" he wrote

"I've used probiotics which I believe has been very successful at eliminating the underlying cause of MS, system yeast infection that started in the gut."

THERE IS NOTHING ABOUT OREGENO OIL IN HIS POST

Probiotics are beneficial organisms that live in the intestines. when antibiotics are used it kills off many beneficial bateria. This results in conditions such as Colitis when to many different antibiotics are used. Which I unfortunately experienced. When the use of antibiotics is exessive
the "gut" balance is thrown off and results in a Candida (Yeast) overgrowth that finds its way into the bloodstream.

I just read a book that a woman wrote that she believed Candida was the cause of her MS. When she treated the Candida her symptoms dissipated.
She has testimonials from several other women with the same story. I am skeptical myself but its for all of you to decide for yourself

"Healing Multiple Sclerosis"
www.annboroch.com
DX 2002 34yold, Tysabri
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Oil of Oregano and MS

Post by NHE »

MSresearcher wrote:NHE misquoted Dave "BEATMS" he wrote
Actually, I didn't misquote BeatMS. I can see how someone unfamiliar with this post could easily become confused. BeatMS has changed his original message. In fact, he has edited it 7 times according to the forum's records. His original message was as I had quoted it. It initially stated that he had used oil of oregano to eliminate "the underlying cause of MS." He has now changed it to read that he has used probiotics to eliminate "the underlying cause of MS." As you may know, probiotics are bacteria and oil of oregano is not. Thus, these are two very different entities. I still stand by my original response to BeatMS's post. It's overstated. Once the underlying cause of MS is found we will all rejoice as it will give research a platform to make great leaps towards a cure. However, I have sincere doubts that BeatMS has indeed found the underlying cause of MS or has found a cure which is what his posts have implied.

NHE
MSresearcher
Getting to Know You...

Post by MSresearcher »

"This Is MS an Unbiased Multiple Sclerosis Community"

I think your unrelenting habit of posting these types of remarks does not allow for an intelligent exchange of ideas. I have noticed your posts carry a distinct tone.

Who are you or I to say it is or isnt? Are you aware of any research on that
topic? If so i encourage you to post it.

And why was the topic "Probiotics" used initially with his post? Why would he need to change his short post 7 times?

If members of This is MS had made those remarks fine. As a moderator is it part of your responsibility to search through posts and challenge the ones you disagree with? Help me understand the role of a "Moderator"

From your website:

We're taking a stance of anonymity for a reason-- this site is to remain unbiased and focused on MS, not us. We contribute by using our skills to create a community and fill it with content, the rest is up to our users such as yourself.
DX 2002 34yold, Tysabri
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: oil of oregano/probiotics

Post by NHE »

"This Is MS an Unbiased Multiple Sclerosis Community"
I couldn't agree more.
I think your unrelenting habit of posting these types of remarks does not allow for an intelligent exchange of ideas. I have noticed your posts carry a distinct tone.
You must have me confused with someone else. I have been a member of the ThisIsMS forum for about 2.5 years. During that time I have contributed numerous helpful posts including many in the 'Natural Approach' forum. I believe that many other members of the ThisIsMS community would whole heartedly agree with this statement.
Who are you or I to say it is or isnt? Are you aware of any research on that topic? If so i encourage you to post it.
There have been some recent posts citing research on probiotics on the ThisIsMS site. You can search for it just as easily as I can. In fact, one of my replies to one recent thread was very positive. I have nothing against probiotics. Indeed, I've been regularly consuming yogurt for at least 25 years (and I still have MS).
And why was the topic "Probiotics" used initially with his post?
When you edit a post you have the opportunity to change the subject. This feature is built into the forum software. BeatMS apparently chose to edit his subject.
Why would he need to change his short post 7 times?
I haven't the slightest idea.
If members of This is MS had made those remarks fine. As a moderator is it part of your responsibility to search through posts and challenge the ones you disagree with? Help me understand the role of a "Moderator"
I am a contributing member of the ThisIsMS community. I also volunteer my time to help moderate the forums. These roles are not in conflict with each other. I believe that my initial comments regarding BeatMS's post on oil of oregano being possibly overstated are valid. If BeatMS uses either oil of oregano or probiotics (or both) and feels better, then that's great. However, a sample size of just one individual, although interesting, carries little weight scientifically. This is especially true with MS due to its relapse remitting nature. It's within reason to suspect that anything one does that one thinks might be improving one's MS might just be simply coincidental with a switch to a remitting phase of the disease. For example, my initial attack occurred 8 years before I was diagnosed. During those 8 years I had no obvious symptoms whatsoever. If someone had told me to take treatment 'X' to 'cure' MS, and I got better, then I might conclude that treatment 'X' actually had a positive role in that change. However, the remitting part of relapse/remitting took care of that and I improved and was symptom free for 8 years with no action on my part.
From your website:
It's not my website. My services as a volunteer moderator were requested (and are also appreciated) by the owners of the website.

Your initial complaint appeared to be that I had misquoted BeatMS. I had not. I tried to explain the occurrences that may have led to your confusion since you are a newcomer to the site. I do not wish to pick a fight or argument with any of our contributing members here at ThisIsMS. If you have come here for that, then I believe you may be disappointed.

NHE
MSresearcher
Getting to Know You...

Post by MSresearcher »

Thank you for clearing this up. I am certainly not looking to pick a fight with anybody. So i now understand you are a member/moderator. I will recognize this as I go through posts and act accordingly.

That title "moderator" sends the message you are acting on behalf of This Is MS. So that is why i responded the way I did. I was not getting the feeling that this was an unbiased forum due to your posts on behalf of This Is MS moderator. So I do disagree that acting in both ways with a Moderator title attached to your personal posts seems to be conflicting to me.

Perhaps having a User ID that can be used to make posts as a "member" and have a separate user id for when you are acting on behalf of This is MS may be more appropriate. It would be simple to do. I may not be the only new member to encounter this confusion. I am sure This Is MS would not want to leave these impressions with new members.

As you said, I am very new here and still getting the lay of the land.
Regarding the rest of your post regarding probiotics. I really couldn't agree more. Any cure claim would have to be investigated by knowing the relapse rate prior to treatment. The standard now is one relapse per year as far as clinical trials go. I believe the same standard would be applied to natural methods. It would need to stop the progression. Monitored over several years, even decades and finally demonstrate remylenation possibly by MRI. Demonstrated with several patients. Maybe then someone could use that word "cured".

Unfortunately the funding for this type of research ( for natural methods) isn't there. I asked Dr Bowling from the Rocky Mountain MS Center's CAM program if there would be anything done as far as studies go regarding the benefits of Acupuncture for MS. He responded "There is no money for that kind of research" There probably will never be. I hope I am wrong.

So, NHE, please accept my sincere apology. Thank you for your time as a volunteer moderator and a very active member of this community. Thank you for taking the time to clear this up. I was expecting a notification of my removal from the site. As a new member, my suggestions may not carry much weight. This is all I have to say about that.
DX 2002 34yold, Tysabri
Loobie
Family Elder

Post by Loobie »

Hey,

We are all just one big family here and people are going to check other people when they think people are being intellectually dishonest. I wouldn't have cared if NHE was acting as a moderator or as a forum contributor. Rank and file doesn't mean #$&* here and I took that post as somebody saying "hey, let's be straight with each other".

The lack of a pecking order is what keeps it real here so I don't care what NHE calls her/himself when posting, I'm just glad someone pointed out how many times an original post was edited.
JimP
Getting to Know You...

Post by JimP »

I too believe that my MS is caused by Candida overgrowth.

I am trying my best to eliminate it. Oil o' Oregano and multi-probiotics and large amounts of garlic.

I have a feeling the Candida will be hard as hell to beat, becase I've got it so back it makes me stink after I eat, especially sugary/yeasty foods.

Trying my best to cut them out
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

Jim, i had a real problem with my gut in 2006 and tried probiotics and oil of oregano to moderately good effect. the first time i took oil of oregano it was like there was a war going on in there. you could practically see it on the outside. i decided i needed to avoid bread and such. ever since all this happened to me i've come to the viewpoint that avoiding food because they give you trouble is only a short term thing. for me i had to figure out why it was giving me a problem. for me, the learning curve about mineral nutrition, followed by finally testing my zinc level and discovering a marked deficiency, has tied together all the problems that were going on in my stomach. lots of people with ms have zinc insufficiency or outright deficiency. i've been posting some other info on this lately.

FYI the normal range for zinc (at my lab anyway) is 11.5-18.5 μmol/l. Male levels for controls should average around 15. For males with MS the average is around 13. For women with MS the average is around 12. My tested level was 8.6.

You may want to look into this... I think it could be useful to many MS patients to investigate this facet of their personal biochemistry.

Zinc helps with lots of different functions in the body and when you get into the probiotics and oil of oregano angles, with their intended pH balancing effects (among other things), Zinc is also alkalizing, as are the other minerals. (Aside: I realized that in my wetlands class at school - high mineral soils = alkaline wetlands, so it made me investigate that side of things in human internal "wetlands" too, hehe!) Anyway. No doubt there are benefits to probiotics and oil of oregano, but they may not provide the basic building blocks that minerals do, to other of our bodily functions.

I have to go back and find what I read about zinc deficiency and carb intake, how you mentioned stinking... that rang a bell I'll see if I can find anything for you.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

I can't find the exact thing i read again, without spending a lot more time... and i'm still pre-morning coffee ;)

but i did find this:
Finally, reconsider your diet... garlic... onions... asparagus... If you avoid these foods and still struggle with B.O., you could have a zinc deficiency. Taking 30 to 50 milligrams of zinc daily can dramatically reduce certain body odors, although you may need less...
also of course you can boost your intake of zinc-rich foods. however, when i was a strict veggie i thought i could make it work with food only, and guess what, not so much!
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

In an effort to post information on probiotics, I did a search of the subject in order to group mine with others and found it has been mentioned many times, at least 10 pages' worth – starting here:

http://www.thisisms.com/ftopicp-26906-.html#26906

http://www.thisisms.com/ftopic-970-previous.html

http://www.thisisms.com/ftopicp-39928.html

This seems to be a logical location.

On Friday, October 8, 2010, the Health page of my local newspaper carried an article about a local doctor, Dr. Zahangir Khalid, a pediatric gastroenterologist at Peoria's Methodist Medical Center, who specializes in probiotics, and his recommendation that people ensure they are consuming adequate amounts of probiotic-rich foods.

Interesting, don't you think?

"Probiotics may help with vaginal infections, cystic fibrosis, acute pancreatitis and obesity.…

Khalid said obesity used to be linked to inactivity and diet, but scientists are now looking at bacteria in the gut. He cited a recent study that found obese people gained weight with the same level of activity and the same diet as people who were not obese and maintained a constant weight.…

He anticipates it will be 3 to 5 years before a probiotic will be on the market targeted for obesity."

Khalid did his residency in Brooklyn, New York; a fellowship at the University of Chicago; post-doc at Columbia University; papers on probiotics presented at national and international conferences. He would appear to know what he's talking about.

With my preoccupation with excess insulin, I was especially interested to hear that probiotics have an effect on pancreatitis and obesity (Insulin is made in the pancreas and is necessary for the deposit of fat.)

The article listed the main food sources of prebiotics (non-digestible nutrients that give the probiotic bacteria a chance to exert their influence): artichokes, bananas, barley, berries, dairy products, flax, garlic, greens such as chard and kale, honey, leeks, legumes, onions, whole grains.

I recall these are listed in many diets touted as improving MS, especially the one promoted by Dr. Terry Wahls.

Interesting, don't you think?

Return to “Natural Approach”