Anyone using the enzyme Superoxide dismutase (GliSODin)?

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, etc. here
gibbledygook
Family Elder

Anyone using the enzyme Superoxide dismutase (GliSODin)?

Post by gibbledygook »

I've been taking this antioxidant enzyme for about a month now and I think it's actually doing something! However it seems to be making one leg better and the other leg worse so it seems a bit of a mixed bag. Nonetheless I think that I'm becoming glad that I've found this pill as I can just tell it's doing something. I feel different. My burning pain has gone to not unpleasant tingling, the sharp needles have disappeared and my semi-paralysed right leg is tingling a lot when it never really used to...mind you that could be a bad sign!
3 years antibiotics, 06/09 bilateral jug stents at C1, 05/11 ballooning of both jug valves, 07/12 stenting of renal vein, azygos & jug valve ballooning,
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Hi gibbledygook-
Glad to hear this might be working for you. I was excited to read about SOD. Keep letting us know how you're progressing.

Hubby started taking GliSODin 2 weeks ago. Not noticing any huge difference in pain or spasms, he's still doing fairly well, exercising with ease... but his stomach's been feeling a bit yucky. Since this is the only new addition to his supplement routine, I might remove the enzyme for a week or so to see if the stomach issue resolves. Could also just be a bug.

I know GliSODin helps boost all antioxidants. We wanted to give it a try....
here's the info for folks-
http://www.glisodin.com/index1.php

best,
AC
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hi gibs, maybe the tingling is a sign of returning sensory? whenever my feet or hands "came back" it was always with a tingling. for a while now they seem to have come as far back to normal as they are planning to come, but the tingling was always a good sign. mind you it was rather short term. is there any sensory improvement or return to function along with your tingling?
gibbledygook
Family Elder

Post by gibbledygook »

Hi jimlegs!
Unfortunately the poor motor function now seems to be quite a bit worse! So I've reduced the quantities of SOD that I take. I see on pubmed that viral infections such as Epstein Barr can cause the body to produce antibodies to SOD so maybe this is what is happening. Maybe this explains why people with MS have so little SOD in their cerebro spinal fluid compared with controls. Mmm. What a horrid disease.
I also see that glutathione peroxidase mops up the h2o2 byproduct of SOD and Nitric Oxide so I'm adding that at the same time as I take the SOD. H2o2 is probably quite damaging as well, it sounds a bit like bleach!
3 years antibiotics, 06/09 bilateral jug stents at C1, 05/11 ballooning of both jug valves, 07/12 stenting of renal vein, azygos & jug valve ballooning,
gibbledygook
Family Elder

Post by gibbledygook »

Well I started flagyl/metronidazole yesterday with all the other enzymes and today my walking was soooo bad that I've decided to come off flagyl and the SOD and the other enzymes and give my body a break from what I thought were anti-inflammatory/anti-oxidants and see what happens. Am utterly perplexed. How can an anti-oxidant be bad for MS? But then again I was taking 3 to 4 times the recommended dose! oops! Caution is not really my middle name. Maybe in much smaller doses this antioxidant would be good. I wonder if it's killing off some pathogen and the ramped up dosages are causing die-off reactions. Or it's the auto immunity to the SOD kicking in or it's just the MS. :roll:
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

You've answered your own question there, Alex, but then, when has caution been yor middle name!

Sarah 8O
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
gibbledygook
Family Elder

glutathione before SOD

Post by gibbledygook »

I have discontinued the SOD as my walking and bladder deteriorated to the same extent as my summer 07 relapse. Stopping SOD has brought immediate relief so it seems very plausible that it was creating an exacerbation. This is quite an interesting discovery. SOD is virtually absent in the cerebro spinal fluid of MS patients versus controls. Auto antigens to SOD develop in patients of epstein barr virus as well as other viruses. The byproduct of SOD and nitric oxide is hydrogen peroxide which is mopped up by glutathione peroxidase. I believe people with MS have lower rates of glutathione which also has an anti-viral effect. I have posted loads of stuff on glutathione on my latest regimens section and need to check. Glutathione is quite hard to get into the system so using precursors might be more effective - selenium and NAC.
I am now taking selenium and also increasing my glutathione both maximised and reduced. I already take 2400mg NAC per day. I shall reintroduce SOD in a month to see if it has the same effect.

Return to “Natural Approach”