Alpha Lipoic Acid

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, etc. here
gibbledygook
Family Elder

Alpha Lipoic Acid

Post by gibbledygook »

I have mislaid a link taking one to a cheap provider of alpha lipoic acid. I note that this supplement is said to inhibit the expression of ICAM and VCAM in CNS endothelial cells. These assist the migration of T cells across the bbb. I think. Anyway I'm planning on increasing the quantity of alpha lipoic acid to several grams a day but Solgar is a total rip off. Any suggestions?
3 years antibiotics, 06/09 bilateral jug stents at C1, 05/11 ballooning of both jug valves, 07/12 stenting of renal vein, azygos & jug valve ballooning,
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Alpha Lipoic Acid

Post by NHE »

Hi Gibbledy,
Have you seen my earlier post on R vs. S lipoic acid?
http://www.thisisms.com/ftopicp-29715.html#29715

You might want to look into getting some R lipoic as I've read that it can be 6 to 12 times more effective than S lipoic and products simply labeled as "alpha lipoic acid" usually contain 50% of the S isomer.

NHE
gibbledygook
Family Elder

Post by gibbledygook »

Hi,

Thanks for that. I have seen this form promoted on Life Extension whose curcumin I think is rather good. Trouble is they are rather expensive. Still, nothing ventured nothing gained.
3 years antibiotics, 06/09 bilateral jug stents at C1, 05/11 ballooning of both jug valves, 07/12 stenting of renal vein, azygos & jug valve ballooning,
DIM
Family Elder

Post by DIM »

You can take ALA with L-carnitine and Q10 to increase it's effectiveness, I give to my wife this product that is pharmaceutical quality and cheaper than most others: http://www.biosynergy.com/endur.htm
2 caps per day of the above and two caps simple L-carnitine 500mg each caps every 4 hours as it helps also in fatique!
Longing4Cheese
Family Member

Hit the online body building sites for inexpensive supplemts

Post by Longing4Cheese »

I got a POUND of N-Acetyl L-Carnitine for about $32 (incl. shipping) from www.trueprotein.com, a body-building supplements site.

It was hard to find the supplements area at first; click on Formulas and then pull down to Custom Solutions. You can dial in custom blends of supplements by percentages; you can add flavorings, etc.

I ordered a pound of ALCAR and a pound of L-Arginine, as well as 2 lbs of pea protein. They come in either a heavy duty plastic bag if you wanna go really minimal, or for 60 cents per pound a white plastic canister with a simple label. I have received mine almost instantly after ordering, too.

So then I went online and bought a capsule filling setup (24 at a time) and a bunch of size 00 vegetable-based capsules. Tonight I made my first batch of ALCAR and Arginine (separately) capsules, and it was very easy. It was funny dealing with white powders and smoothing it around with a plastic card -- looked like a cocaine-cutting scene in a movie. All we needed were some guns on the table and some twitchy characters hanging around.

Seriously, I got tired of paying $23 + tax at Whole Foods or CVS for a small bottle of 500 mg capsules. I could see that it was going to cost too much to take ALCAR this way, and I think this little investment is going to save me a LOT of money pretty quickly.

I've seen a couple of other bodybuilding sites that offer supplements in HUGE MANLY CONTAINERS, but I went with this one, since a friend (a vegan with big muscles) recommended it to me.

Best of luck...

L4C
Jack Sprat