A little advise please

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, etc. here
goonasi

Post by goonasi »

Never mind - tried to cancel the order but the American's are way too effecient and the order has been processed & shipped.
I will see the 60 softgels through then reorder, surely something is better than nothing.
jackD
Family Elder

Post by jackD »

goonasi wrote:Never mind - tried to cancel the order but the American's are way too effecient and the order has been processed & shipped.
I will see the 60 softgels through then reorder, surely something is better than nothing.
Yep! This is part of that "risk" thing I mentioned. I have an entire shelf of "mistakes" that either seemed like a good idea at the time or just became a bad choice once I found more/new info/abstracts.

It is just like GRAPE SEED EXTRACT vrs GRAPE SKIN EXTRACT. Both seem like a good idea. However I found that GRAPE SEED EXTRACT works in part by raising GAMMA INTERFERON to fight infections which is a NO! NO! NO! for MS folks. GRAPE SKIN EXTRACT does great things for MS folks.

jackD
goonasi

Post by goonasi »

HA HA nearly bought that one too :wink: the product I was looking at was Trans Resveratrol 250mg 50% extract, I believe this has grape skin, certain berries and plant extract. Reviews revealed how potent it was and I was very unsure too, so opted for the Green Tea Extract as I drink it occasionally its 98% polyphenols by UV, 50% EGCG by HPLC which means nothing to me at all but as my wife backed me and stated she'd try some to help aid lose weight !
Can't lose I am on a winner with that one then - Sold :P

And yep made a few blunders before too, I have a nice stash of Vit D unaware it should of been D3 and a bucket full of Zinc ! but enjoying the journey and if it helps then I am on a winner again.
jackD
Family Elder

Post by jackD »

Here is some good info that the EGCG in Green Tea actually does some nice things for MS folks.

These idiots do not mention what they are writing about in the abstract in PubMed nor do they include it in the title of the paper. I had lots of difficulity finding a full text of it, I just knew they were talking about GREEN TEA EXTRACT.
J Neuroimmunol. 2007 Mar;184(1-2):17-26. Epub 2007 Jan 10.

Neurodegeneration in autoimmune demyelination: recent mechanistic insights reveal novel therapeutic targets.
Aktas O, Waiczies S, Zipp F.

Institute for Neuroimmunology, Neuroscience Research Center, Charité -- Universitätsmedizin Berlin, Germany.

Multiple sclerosis (MS) is the most common chronic demyelinating disease of the central nervous system (CNS) and the major cause of neurological disability in young adults in Western countries. In spite of intensive research efforts, treatment options established to date do not sufficiently prevent the accumulation of tissue damage and clinical disability in patients with MS. We here describe recently identified molecules responsible for the inflammatory and the neurodegenerative processes in MS and its animal model, experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (EAE), and review new treatment options targeting both aspects of this disease.

PMID: 17222462 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

They just say "novel therapeutic targets".

This is from The Journal of Neuroimmunology

http://home.ix.netcom.com/~jdalton/egcg-neorond-ms.pdf

jackD
Last edited by jackD on Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
shye
Family Elder

Post by shye »

JackD
sorry to bother you, but why is raising Gamma Interferon a no-no for MS?
Thanks in advance (your info is always so appreciated)...
jackD
Family Elder

THE GREAT HORROR STORY OF MS.

Post by jackD »

shye wrote:JackD
sorry to bother you, but why is raising Gamma Interferon a no-no for MS?
Thanks in advance (your info is always so appreciated)...
Years ago someone coould not get viruses to grow in one particular beaker. So one of the lab assistant was tasked to find out why.

Seems the stuff that was in it before was "interferring with the virus growth"

YEP!! You gussed IT!!! INTERFERON was born. (In this case GAMMA INTERFERON)

They knew this stuff was POWERFUL immune regulating stuff.

So they decided to try it on about 12 folks with MS.

They ALL GOT VERY VERY VERY MUCH MUCH MUCH WORSE!!!!They had discovered that INTERFERON GAMMA was a major cause of the Inflammatory MS myelin damage.

Biomed Pharmacother. 1989;43(5):355-60.

Interferons and multiple sclerosis.
Clanet M, Blancher A, Calvas P, Rascol O.

Service de Neurologie, CHU Purpan, Toulouse, France.

Interferons (IFNs) are a family of proteins with antiviral, antitumoral and immunomodulating properties. Multiple Sclerosis (MS) is a CNS disease in which the immune reaction (IR) is the cause of the inflammatory demyelinating lesions. IFNs have been demonstrated in active lesions. The location of IFN gamma on astrocytes suggests an enhancing activity on IR by inducing Ia antigen expression on these cells. In contrast, IFN alpha/beta located on microglial cells and astrocytes might limit the growing lesion. MS patients frequently present a defective response of NK cell activity and an abnormally low production of IFNs reflecting immune dysregulation. The therapeutic trials available to date are discussed: IFN gamma possesses a severe deleterious effect but IFN alpha/beta are still under consideration due to a possible beneficial activity.

PMID: 2477075 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

This does not say much for the the "scientific method".

I can give you the teckies of HOW MS PROGRESSES but I do not think you will thank me when I finish.

This short paper gives a nice summary of the MS destructive processes.
http://home.ix.netcom.com/~jdalton/ms-two-stages.pdf

jackD

P.S. This has absolutely nothing to do with "The Ultimate Cause of MS".
Last edited by jackD on Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
shye
Family Elder

Post by shye »

JackD
Need a block of time to absorb the article, but immense thanks for your as usual excellent info :D

Return to “Natural Approach”