It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:02 am

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

Cocoa Compounds Boost Brain Function

The People's Pharmacy report on a recent Nature paper showing that coco compounds, i.e., flavanols, boost brain function.

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2014/10/ ... -function/

Enhancing dentate gyrus function with dietary flavanols improves cognition in older adults
Nature Neuroscience (2014) doi:10.1038/nn.3850

The dentate gyrus (DG) is a region in the hippocampal formation whose function declines in association with human aging and is therefore considered to be a possible source of age-related memory decline. ...
Read more : Cocoa Compounds Boost Brain Function | Views : 243 | Replies : 3 | Forum : Natural Approach

Dalriada MS unit closure 'will be devastating'

Closing Northern Ireland's only dedicated respite centre will have a devastating impact on people with multiple sclerosis, a woman who uses the unit has said.

It is one of a number of cuts to the health service announced on Thursday...... Read More - http://www.ms-uk.org/MSnews
Read more : Dalriada MS unit closure 'will be devastating' | Views : 154 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Neuroprotective qualities of Masitinib.......

Neuroprotective qualities of Masitinib in stroke encouraging for MS indication

An encouraging experimental drug that is being developed for Multiple Sclerosis continues to show promise in being able to offer neuroprotective benefits — an effect that could slow MS. Masitinib, which is being developed by AB Science for numerous neurological indications, including Alzheimer’s disease, progressive multiple sclerosis, and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), is now showing signs of being able to offer neuroprotection in stroke as ...
Read more : Neuroprotective qualities of Masitinib....... | Views : 223 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General Discussion

New DNA software may improve MS diagnosis and treatment

Researchers from UC San Francisco, the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard, and Yale School of Medicine recently developed a software tool that helps researchers understand the complex genetic origins of many autoimmune diseases and, ultimately, to better diagnose and treat them. The study was published yesterday in Nature...... Read More - http://www.ms-uk.org/genetics
Read more : New DNA software may improve MS diagnosis and treatment | Views : 210 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Gene Therapy

Loss of Bowel & Bladder Control and Memory Impairment

I know this is long, so thank you so much for taking the time to read it!

Hi! I'm Melissa and 38 years old with 4 rotten boys! They are 17, 16, 14 and 11. I only gave birth to the 11 and 14 year old. The other two are my step-sons. That's just a little about me.

About 1 year ago I started having bladder control problems. Every single time I get out ...
Read more : Loss of Bowel & Bladder Control and Memory Impairment | Views : 326 | Replies : 15 | Forum : Undiagnosed

Cortical veins under 7 tesla MRI

It seems that they are able to detect oxygen percentages and to use it as biomarker.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25351235

Quantitative oxygen extraction fraction from 7-Tesla MRI phase: reproducibility and application in multiple sclerosis.

Abstract
Quantitative oxygen extraction fraction (OEF) in cortical veins was studied in patients with multiple sclerosis (MS) and healthy subjects via magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) phase images at 7 Tesla (7 T).

Flow-compensated, three-dimensional gradient-echo scans were acquired ...

Milk - not so good

For many years, some people have been advising no dairy if you have ms.
Today, an interesting article just came out about milk and it's possible effects on health. This quote is especially interesting:

'The research team cited another reason for their skepticism: D-galactose. This is produced by the body as it breaks down lactose, the sugar in milk. Studies in animals have shown that chronic exposure to the nutrient causes “oxidative stress damage, chronic ...
Read more : Milk - not so good | Views : 185 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Need feedback on the use of Rituxan

My neuro made a personal call to me this morning. My ms is acting particularly aggressive lately. He wants me to start rituxan. Does it work for you? What side effects have you experienced? How often have you had treatment? Do you get treatment intraveneously or intrathecally? Do they even offer this treatment intrathecally? I want to go in with my eyes wide open.

Thanks!
Read more : Need feedback on the use of Rituxan | Views : 187 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Rituxan (Rituximab)

Cuts to employment and support allowance 'considered'

Ministers are considering drastically cutting the main Employment and Support Allowance sickness benefit, internal documents seen by the BBC suggest.

New claimants, judged to be capable of work with appropriate support, could be given just 50p more per week than people on job seekers allowance.

Current recipients get almost £30 per week more..... Read More - http://www.ms-uk.org/MSnews
Read more : Cuts to employment and support allowance 'considered' | Views : 152 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

The Trouble with Antibiotics

The PBS program Frontline recently aired a documentary on antibiotics, "The Trouble with Antibiotics." It discusses the cause of and problems associated with antibiotic resistance.

The full show is available for free.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline ... tibiotics/
Read more : The Trouble with Antibiotics | Views : 177 | Replies : 3 | Forum : Antibiotics

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 221703 • Total topics 23017 • Total members 14543

Contact us | Terms of Service