It is currently Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:42 pm

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

Minocycline Promising for Fragile X Syndrome - autism, MMP-9

Forgive me if this is already covered -- I did search for "autism" in the Antibiotics forum and got zero results. So, this may be very interesting news...

UCR Researchers Propose Minocycline as a Promising Drug for Patients with Fragile X Syndrome

RIVERSIDE, Calif. – A UC Riverside-led team of biomedical scientists has found that a readily available drug called minocycline, used widely to treat acne and skin infections, can be used to treat Fragile ...
Read more : Minocycline Promising for Fragile X Syndrome - autism, MMP-9 | Views : 2998 | Replies : 9 | Forum : Antibiotics

3 month follow-up MRI

I got the results back from my 3 month follow-up MRI.

NO NEW LESIONS!!

NO ENHANCING LESIONS!!

And the report said "SLIGHT" improvement on previous lesions!!

I don't have the report in front of me (left it in friend's car)....but it wasn't bad news.

No lesions whatsoever on cervical or thoracic spine (had had C-spine MRI once...but never T spine).

I'm quite happy - as my last MRI had 2 new lesions...

Appt with my ...
Read more : 3 month follow-up MRI | Views : 1681 | Replies : 3 | Forum : Revimmune (cyclophosphamide or cytoxan)

Amitriptyline wearing off after only 6 wks....?

Hi all
had a nasty relapse about 7 weeks ago. Severe fatigue for 3 weeks, and a huge increase in neurological pain - you know the crawling, itching, pricking, nagging, gnawing horrible pain. It was all down my right side - just my right side - and I had twitching too so I wasn't sleeping.

The neurology clinic's nurse sent me a script for very low dose Amitriptyline (I think it's called Elavil in some ...
Read more : Amitriptyline wearing off after only 6 wks....? | Views : 1537 | Replies : 3 | Forum : General Discussion

New Tysabri patient

Well I'm switching from the Tovaxin thread to this thread now. Background: MS for 7 years. Avonex for first 4. Didn't really progress except in the area of side effects! They just kept getting worse and worse until I couldn't take it anymore. I felt pretty good though and was still very active; running every day, working alot, full social schedule. Then I got into the Tovaxin trial. I went downhill the whole time I ...
Read more : New Tysabri patient | Views : 3518 | Replies : 18 | Forum : Tysabri (Antegren or Natalizumab)

Interesting alliance

It sounds like Germany held a "BioPharma" competition to fund drug development. One of the winning groups, NeuroAllianz, is trying to develop therapeutics for neurodegenerative diseases.

Winning Consortium NeuroAllianz in the BioPharma Competition counts on UNIarray Technology

October 9, 2008 - Protagen AG, a leading provider of GMP compliant protein analytical services, protein bioinformatics, and protein biochips has won the BMBF’s BioPharma competition jointly with consortium “NeuroAllianz”. The twelve project partners will develop therapeutic as ...
Read more : Interesting alliance | Views : 986 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Flupirtine

Flupirtine is an approved oral pain medication that is in phase 2 trials in MS. This is an interesting abstract.

Flupirtine as Neuroprotective Add-On Therapy in Autoimmune Optic Neuritis.

Am J Pathol. 2008 Oct 2.
Sättler MB, Williams SK, Neusch C, Otto M, Pehlke JR, Bähr M, Diem R.
From the Department of Neurology,* University of Göttingen, Göttingen; the Department of Neurology, University of Homburg/Saar, Homburg/Saar; and the Department of Neurology, University of Ulm, Ulm, ...
Read more : Flupirtine | Views : 1254 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

I'm picking up good vibrations...

I hope this works.

MS sufferers feel the benefits of vibration trial

A trial to determine the benefits of vibration therapy for Multiple Sclerosis sufferers is having an immediate impact on participants, one stating that she could feel her feet again, and another saying the treatment left her legs tingling and buzzing like they hadn't felt in years.

Study supervisor Dr Steve Stannard says the trial was devised to see whether side-to-side alternating vibration therapy ...
Read more : I'm picking up good vibrations... | Views : 1308 | Replies : 3 | Forum : General Discussion

stem cell discovery

Sounds like good progress...

Unlocking Stem Cell, DNA Secrets To Speed Therapies

ScienceDaily - October 11, 2008 - In a groundbreaking study led by a molecular biologist at Florida State University, researchers have discovered that as embryonic stem cells turn into different cell types, there are dramatic corresponding changes to the order in which DNA is replicated and reorganized.

The findings bridge a critical knowledge gap for stem cell biologists, enabling them to better understand ...
Read more : stem cell discovery | Views : 1401 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Stem Cells

25-foot walk rules question, is jogging allowed?

So here's the shocker of the week.

Last night Kim "reacted" to my racing around before bed (turning off the lights and locking the doors, etc.) by racing me to the stairs. Kim was just trying to be faster than me, but without thinking about it, she ran. I saw her run. You could call it a light jog, but for the briefest of moments, she was completely airborne!

I looked at her in shock ...
Read more : 25-foot walk rules question, is jogging allowed? | Views : 1489 | Replies : 7 | Forum : General Discussion

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 226702 • Total topics 23879 • Total members 15153

Contact us | Terms of Service