It is currently Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:09 pm

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

Personal Genomics for Treatments?

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has purchased genome sequencing kits from 23andMe / deCODEme / Navigenics / etc. and if they've somehow helped in determining any treatments?

I just received a google alert today with the following article
http://www.sdnn.com/sandiego/2009-06-11/news/life-sciences-one-size-does-not-fit-all

Excerpt:

Dr. Topol told the audience that in the last week alone, major genes for multiple sclerosis, for about 4 percent of all ovarian cancers, and for testicular cancer were discovered and reported. ...
Read more : Personal Genomics for Treatments? | Views : 1107 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General Discussion

Thoughts on the power of HOPE

In reading "Man's Search for Meaning" by Viktor Frankl, I'm taken aback with the profundity of this book. It is about how people in the concentration camps survived and how 'overridingly' important hope is, to the exclusion of about everything else in it's significance. Just a couple of thoughts that have really, really hit me and made me think a whole bunch.

"He who has a Why to live for can bear almost any How" ...
Read more : Thoughts on the power of HOPE | Views : 1757 | Replies : 9 | Forum : Daily Life

From Bench To Bedside: Academia slows the search for cures

http://www.newsweek.com/id/200599

An article discussing how research is driven more by scientific discovery then medical treatments. First comment by the founder of the Myelin Repair Foundation. Both are enlightening.
Read more : From Bench To Bedside: Academia slows the search for cures | Views : 1208 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Hello I'm Island girl

Hello, my name is Islandgirl I am scheduled to have the CCVIS venous MRI and possible surgery July 7th and 8th. I feel very good about my decision to have surgery, if I have jugular blockages. I want to thank mrhodes-40 for all her help and generosity in time and phone calls explaining and getting me informed, up and running on this web sight. She is wonderful.

If I get the surgery, I will be ...
Read more : Hello I'm Island girl | Views : 1739 | Replies : 8 | Forum : Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)

Please share your views on the most promising studies

Hello everybody. I am trying to figure out the best study options for me to participate in. Can other forum members please share their views on the most promising research studies?

I have had chronic progressive MS for 23 years. I was turned down by JH for the Revimmune procedure. I just started at a research hospital, Wash U. in StL, and I am not sure of what current ...
Read more : Please share your views on the most promising studies | Views : 3374 | Replies : 22 | Forum : General Discussion

Copaxone Thoughts...vs Interferons for inflammation

I was told Copaxone is not good for inflammation in the brain. The drugs good for that are Rebif or Betaseron. Is there any truth to this and does anyone know anything about this.
I was told Copaxone doesn't help with any sort of inflammation/swelling as the interferons do.
Thanks for the input.
Read more : Copaxone Thoughts...vs Interferons for inflammation | Views : 1585 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Copaxone

take those meds!!

Clinical trials of multiple sclerosis therapies
by All About MS on Thu 11 Jun 2009 12:00 AM CST | Permanent Link | Cosmos
Clinical trials of multiple sclerosis therapies: improvements to demonstrate long-term patient benefit.

Background

The therapeutic goal for multiple sclerosis (MS) is to achieve a better long-term outcome. However, since available data come from short-term studies, it is important to review the evidence that current therapies provide long-term benefit.

Method and ...
Read more : take those meds!! | Views : 1201 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Rewriting the MS story

Fatigue, brain fog, and heat sensitivity are always at the top of the list of MS symptoms. These symptoms are lumped in with the others, and we have been led to believe the brain lesions are the cause. Jeff and Marie had immediate relief of some of the symptoms. I seriously doubt that a lesion (or two) mysteriously disappeared on the operating table. It seems to me that we now have two groups of symptoms ...
Read more : Rewriting the MS story | Views : 6211 | Replies : 45 | Forum : Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)

Yes, another New Member

Hello all!

I have been surfing these message boards over the past week or so since my RRMS diagnosis. I am a 47 year old female with two children (ages 6 and 9) and a very supportive husband. It appears from the MRI, historical symptoms and medical history, that I have had this for some time. I have no active lesions and I am starting to feel better and the bad symptoms are starting to ...
Read more : Yes, another New Member | Views : 954 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Introductions

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 232959 • Total topics 24949 • Total members 16087

Contact us | Terms of Service