It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:10 am

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

Genomic Scans...a conundrum

A thought provoking essay in the LA Times written by a young woman who had a genomic test done by Navigenics, utilizing the technology of the genotyping chip. For those of us with children who might wonder if our kids have the genetic predisposition for MS....would this test be blessing or curse?

It's not cheap...$2500 for a spit analysis. I'm not rushing out any time soon for this test for my child (or myself- my ...
Read more : Genomic Scans...a conundrum | Views : 1309 | Replies : 2 | Forum : General Discussion

Optical Coherence Tomography- interesting

Hi All,
I generally post things here after they have been discussed at great length but I thought this might interest some who have not heard of it. I initially read about this in Southwestern Medicine Magazine which is a publication from UT Southwestern. This link is from a Johns Hopkins study, I'm not sure who is really the leading research facility but no matter, give it a read.
Lars
http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/Press_re ...

Cellcept linked to PML

Again it looks like a very low risk and possibly from a combination of drugs... but I would really like to take PML out behind the shed and have a word with it.

FDA investigates CellCept and Myfortic PML risk

The FDA is investigating a possible link between the use of CellCept (mycophenolate mofetil, from Roche) and Myfortic (mycophenolic acid, from Novartis) and the development of progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy (PML).

The FDA is reviewing Roche’s ...
Read more : Cellcept linked to PML | Views : 1607 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

New here and could use some direction...

Hi!
I am looking for help/advice choosing a Medicare Health and Prescription Drug Plan that would best-suit someone with MS.

I would love to hear from other folks and if there are resources on this site for that, maybe someone could direct me there?

This is for my loved-one. He is 44 years old, and has now become disabled from MS. He is receiving Soc Sec Dis, and is on Copaxone. Also, we are in ...
Read more : New here and could use some direction... | Views : 1328 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Introductions

So long for now, abx.....

Yikes, I had another abx. crash. The third one in 15 months of being on CAP. Unfortunately, this one severe enough to tip the benefit/risk ratio in the wrong direction to make anti-biotics a feasible treatment path for me. I would still encourage anyone especially with progressive disease to try it.

Thanks to all my forum friends for your support and information on the antibiotic protocol. Good luck to everyone on this treatment path!
Read more : So long for now, abx..... | Views : 1867 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Antibiotics

Three weeks after Campath

where to begin?

Well physically things are okay.

I am definitely having a flare up. I guess the fact that I expected it, makes it a little easier to swallow. My flare ups are almost always centered around Optic Neuritis. And for the past week, my vision has been its worst since my diagnosis. Usually it only affects one eye severely (usually my right eye). However the past few weeks, both eyes have been affected ...
Read more : Three weeks after Campath | Views : 2472 | Replies : 6 | Forum : Campath (Lemtrada, Alemtuzumab)

Injuring yourself....via MS...

Soo...since my first attack in late Dec 2007, I've been ok....just waiting for my June MRI (for full diagnosis or to continue to wait).

I injured my knee at work about two weeks ago. I (work in a hospital in radiology) was bringing a patient down for a study. I filed a workmans comp claim and recently started physical therapy to try and get the knee back in shape. I had a consultation where we ...
Read more : Injuring yourself....via MS... | Views : 1126 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

how did you get abx prescribed?

Hi,

I have a question for those of you who are using antibiotics. The more I read, the more hopeful I am, but then I get discouraged thinking about how few doctors are on board with this-- especially for treating patients early in the RR stage of MS. I'm not comfortable with ordering them online without the support of a doctor. So, I'm curious did most of you:

Go to a doctor armed with information, ...
Read more : how did you get abx prescribed? | Views : 2632 | Replies : 8 | Forum : Antibiotics

Teva sclerosis drug shows positive data

Teva sclerosis drug shows positive data

JERUSALEM (AP) - Israeli drug maker Teva Pharmaceutical Industries (NASDAQ:TEVA) Inc. said Thursday a three-year study of its multiple sclerosis drug showed slower disease progression and fewer relapses in patients who did not respond to other treatments.

The three-year study showed patients who switched to Teva's Copaxone after failing treatment with a standard interferon drug experienced 77 percent fewer relapses of their disease. Patients switched among different interferon drugs ...
Read more : Teva sclerosis drug shows positive data | Views : 3071 | Replies : 4 | Forum : Copaxone

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 222343 • Total topics 23093 • Total members 14619

Contact us | Terms of Service