It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:18 pm

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

Possible Viral Causes of MS

Must read very interesting stuff here.

<shortened url>
Read more : Possible Viral Causes of MS | Views : 1753 | Replies : 9 | Forum : General Discussion

Minocycline or Doxycycline?

It seems that most published research on Antibiotics for MS has been done with Minocycline, I've only found one reference to a trial with Doxycycline.

But Doxycycline has less serious side-effects than Minocycline?

Is there any reason to suppose that Minocycline is inherently better than Doxycycline, or is it just a coincidence that Minocycline has been used more than Doxycycline?

Thanks
Read more : Minocycline or Doxycycline? | Views : 3297 | Replies : 6 | Forum : Antibiotics

Damage to nerve fibres

Bruce Trapp's work is viewed as cutting edge. It was his work in the late 1990s that showed that it was the damage to axons (nerve fibres) that caused disability rather than just de-myelination.

Ian

Nerve Fibres are Severed by Inflammation in MS Lesions, Leading to Permanent Disabilities

Bruce Trapp, PhD––Cleveland Clinic, Lerner Research Institute, Cleveland, Ohio

Background

Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a chronic, disabling neurodegenerative disease. It strikes most often during early adulthood, and ...
Read more : Damage to nerve fibres | Views : 1522 | Replies : 6 | Forum : General Discussion

Coming off Copaxone for pregnancy, terrified.

Hi
I'm very stressed.
8O
I had 2 miscarriages in the last 2 year, and probably an early 3rd one too.
Each time I was on Copaxone until I got a positive test, then I gave it up.
Myself and my DH have been tested for EVERYTHING in the last 6 months, and they can find nothing up with either of us.
So all the miscarriages are ...
Read more : Coming off Copaxone for pregnancy, terrified. | Views : 2837 | Replies : 4 | Forum : Copaxone

Angled injections or 90 degrees?

I have read on here about the importance of removing the needle carefully at 90 degrees to help prevent Copaxone site reactions. I've also read that injecting at an angle (normal practice with other type of sub-cue injections) helps as well.

Are these recommendations for the auto-inject, or for manual injections? Would someone please give me more specific information on this? I realize it's impossible to inject at an angle and remove at 90 degrees, ...
Read more : Angled injections or 90 degrees? | Views : 2570 | Replies : 4 | Forum : Copaxone

white matter

The brain discoveries continue...

Brain's white matter -- More 'talkative' than once thought

Johns Hopkins scientists have discovered to their surprise that nerves in the mammalian brain’s white matter do more than just ferry information between different brain regions, but in fact process information the way gray matter cells do.

The discovery in mouse cells, outlined in the cover story of the March issue of Nature Neuroscience, shows that brain cells “talk” with each other ...
Read more : white matter | Views : 978 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Pioglitazone / reduction of brain atrophy

Hey,

The brain atrophy impact seems to be a very positive element and very consistent with the previous case-study where PIO was used for a person with progressive MS. Hopefully there will be continuation on this research.

Best Regards,
Degerlache

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Results of a Phase I Trial of Pioglitazone in RRMS Patients

Claudia Kaiser, Dinesh Shukla, Glenn Stebbins, Demetrios Skias, George Katsamakis, Hoffman Estates, IL, Dusan Stefoski, Douglas Jeffery, Winston Salem, NC, Douglas L. Feinstein, ...
Read more : Pioglitazone / reduction of brain atrophy | Views : 1240 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Interferons & Statins

art wrote:Atorvastatin + Rebif in MS (Safety Trial)
Gary Birnbaum

This nine-month trial looked at combining statins with Rebif. It had 3 arms: Rebif + placebo, Rebif + 40mg statins, and Rebif + 80mg statins daily for 6 months. The trial included 29 subjects who had each been stable on Rebif for at least six months. Five subjects dropped out either before or during treatment, one due to muscle pain (a known problem with statins). Unfortunately, ...
Read more : Interferons & Statins | Views : 3415 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Statins

American Academy of Neurology Notes

Each year I attend the AAN with one of my co-workers and we write up the notes from the presentations we go to as a service to the MS community.

Here are our notes from this year.
http://msnews.acceleratedcure.org/node/2642
Read more : American Academy of Neurology Notes | Views : 1202 | Replies : 2 | Forum : General Discussion

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 220786 • Total topics 22876 • Total members 14447

Contact us | Terms of Service