It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:16 pm

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

VZV vaccination useful for MS?

Hello,

in the context of possible viral causes/triggers of MS, would you think that it might be usefull for me to get a VZV vaccination?

Though I'm already infected with VZV, the vaccine showed, that it lowers the severety of a new active VZV infection.

Thanks for your suggestions.
--Frank
Read more : VZV vaccination useful for MS? | Views : 1105 | Replies : 2 | Forum : General Discussion

Herpes viruses again

Human endogenous retroviruses are ancient fragments of viral DNA which have become part of our own DNA, and have been linked to the development of MS. So have various herpes viruses. This team has discovered that even inactive herpes viruses can activate these ancient genes in white blood cells. Herpes simplex -1, (the cold sore virus), and human herpes virus -6 produce a time-limited response, while the Varicella-zoster virus, (chicken pox/ shingles), produces a sustained ...
Read more : Herpes viruses again | Views : 1127 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Blocking VLA-2 doesn't encourage PML.

The problem with drugs like Tysabri is that they not only prevent white blood cells from crossing the blood brain barrier and causing harm, they prevent them crossing and doing good things, like keeping viruses and PML in check.
This team took a different approach by blocking a molecule which interacts with the extracellular matrix, (basically, parts of tissue which are not part of the cell), and thus, so long as they get the timing ...
Read more : Blocking VLA-2 doesn't encourage PML. | Views : 939 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

happy mother's day

To all the mom's out there who struggle to raise a family despite this MS, who want the best for their kids despite this illness, who give all that they have even if it means neglecting their own physio or exercises or sleep, have a great day! Carole
Read more : happy mother's day | Views : 1477 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Daily Life

Non-infectious contributions to MS

It hadn't occurred to me before that smoking might be a risk factor which could explain the increase of MS in women, (in the UK at least, women and young girls smoke far more than men and boys). I would have thought it should be fairly easy to correlate the figures. Sunlight exposure, along with the myriad other non infectious environmental conditions, will be harder to quantify.
This from PubMed:

Environmental risk factors for multiple ...
Read more : Non-infectious contributions to MS | Views : 916 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Potentially negative side-effect of Minocycline et al

I came across this potentially negative effect of minocycline et al today :

The study authors conclude that it is very likely that minocycline's neuroprotective and anti-inflammatory effects are due to PARP-1 inhibition.

"This doesn't exclude the possibility that it has other actions," says Swanson, "but as far as we can tell, the only way it blocks inflammation is by blocking PARP-1."

Swanson says the results have implications beyond the general principle that "it helps ...
Read more : Potentially negative side-effect of Minocycline et al | Views : 1838 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Antibiotics

Phase II High-Dose Cyclophosphamide for Multiple Sclerosis

I can't help digging around in the information regarding "resetting" the immune system. I find it darned interesting. Notice who they are recruiting in this trial....
Bob

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct/show/NCT00296205?order=5

Inclusion Criteria:

* Diagnosis of secondary progressive (SPMS), primary progressive (PPMS) or progressive relapsing (PRMS) multiple sclerosis
* A diagnosis of MS will be established by fulfilling criteria “Recommended Diagnostic Criteria for Multiple Sclerosis: Guidelines from the Internal Panel on ...
Read more : Phase II High-Dose Cyclophosphamide for Multiple Sclerosis | Views : 908 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Possible Viral Causes of MS

Must read very interesting stuff here.

<shortened url>
Read more : Possible Viral Causes of MS | Views : 1755 | Replies : 9 | Forum : General Discussion

Minocycline or Doxycycline?

It seems that most published research on Antibiotics for MS has been done with Minocycline, I've only found one reference to a trial with Doxycycline.

But Doxycycline has less serious side-effects than Minocycline?

Is there any reason to suppose that Minocycline is inherently better than Doxycycline, or is it just a coincidence that Minocycline has been used more than Doxycycline?

Thanks
Read more : Minocycline or Doxycycline? | Views : 3303 | Replies : 6 | Forum : Antibiotics

Damage to nerve fibres

Bruce Trapp's work is viewed as cutting edge. It was his work in the late 1990s that showed that it was the damage to axons (nerve fibres) that caused disability rather than just de-myelination.

Ian

Nerve Fibres are Severed by Inflammation in MS Lesions, Leading to Permanent Disabilities

Bruce Trapp, PhD––Cleveland Clinic, Lerner Research Institute, Cleveland, Ohio

Background

Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a chronic, disabling neurodegenerative disease. It strikes most often during early adulthood, and ...
Read more : Damage to nerve fibres | Views : 1527 | Replies : 6 | Forum : General Discussion

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 220876 • Total topics 22893 • Total members 14457

Contact us | Terms of Service