It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:25 pm

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

Interesting B cell research

This seems likely to have MS implications...

Scientists Learn The Origin Of Rogue B Cells

11 Feb 2007 -- Doctors have long wondered why, in some people, the immune system turns against parts of the body it is designed to protect, leading to autoimmune disease. Now, researchers at the National Institutes of Health's (NIH) National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases (NIAMS), in collaboration with the Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation, have provided some ...
Read more : Interesting B cell research | Views : 814 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Numerous supplements

Although the following info came in a commercial publication selling supplements, it may have real substance to it (tho I have not checked the references). The supplements mentioned have been addressed on this site before. And tho the article concerns "diabesity" (and therefore, insulin), this forum seems the most appropriate.

Nutrition Science Review

Chromium
Chromium improves glucose tolerance by taking 200 to 1,000 mcg of this essential trace mineral every day.
Chromium, Glucose Intolerance and ...
Read more : Numerous supplements | Views : 1406 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Natural Approach

My Dr. and Vit D

I know I said that I would tell everyone what my GP said about what vit D level you should have or how much of a supplement I should take. Well, sorry to tell you but that won't happen.

I had to see an intern because my GP has decided to not take appointments after 2:30 anymore which kind of sucks for us working people. I told the intern that since there had been so ...
Read more : My Dr. and Vit D | Views : 1337 | Replies : 5 | Forum : General Discussion

Loobie's 3rd update

Ok,

I'm ready to update again. I have really waited this time since I was pinging off of on so many false alarms. I have used the 4 day rule suggested by Tim (it's good advice when self monitoring) and have lots to talk about.

The amount of changes are huge to me. I'm either seeing some results or I have the biggest placebo effect ever encountered. As some of you know from my previous ...
Read more : Loobie's 3rd update | Views : 4299 | Replies : 19 | Forum : Tcelna (Tovaxin)

Stem Cells don't work in MS brains

This is some of the worst news I have seen.

gwa`

http://brain.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/con ... t/awl370v1

Autologous haematopoietic stem cell transplantation fails to stop demyelination and neurodegeneration in
multiple sclerosis

Imke Metz1, Claudia F. Lucchinetti2, Harry Openshaw3, Antonio Garcia-Merino4, Hans Lassmann5, Marc S. Freedman6,
Harold L. Atkins6, Biagio Azzarelli7, Oldrich J. Kolar7 and Wolfgang Brück1,8

1Department of Neuropathology, Georg August University, Göttingen, Germany, 2Department of Neurology, Mayo Clinic,
College of Medicine, ...
Read more : Stem Cells don't work in MS brains | Views : 3218 | Replies : 23 | Forum : General Discussion

Ho hum, another study involving vitamin D

All

Another study that promotes the virtues of vitamin D. I believe these results to be consistent with studies involving MS prevention and vitamin D. (ie. Harvard's Ascherio and the nurses)

Vitamin D Backed For Cancer Prevention In Two New Studies

Science Daily — Two new vitamin D studies using a sophisticated form of analysis called meta-analysis, in which data from multiple reports is combined, have revealed new prescriptions for possibly preventing up to half ...
Read more : Ho hum, another study involving vitamin D | Views : 924 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General Discussion

Minocycline - Dignan

Dignan,

I recently posted a presentation given at the end of November 2006 by Professor Thompson of the UK. The presentation covered neuro-protective agents and the following comment was made about minocycline:

Minocycline is very interesting. This is an antibiotic which inhibits nitrous oxide synthetase and there's been a small pilot study done of that in MS which has been very interesting and there's a very large study planned in Canada which is just going ...
Read more : Minocycline - Dignan | Views : 1827 | Replies : 7 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

AnA Test

I don't mean to complain but my family could use a break. I'm a 44 year old male and I've been diagnosed with MS since '04. My twin brother has yet to be officiallly diagnosed but appears have MS too. I've an older brother, now deceased from lung cancer, who had MS too. My 44 year old wife has had severe RA since she was 26. My son who is 14 has Psoriasis, as I ...
Read more : AnA Test | Views : 2954 | Replies : 6 | Forum : General Discussion

Something for Lyon

Lyon,

You have an insatiable demand for MS knowledge. Attached is a video of a lecture from the end of last year from Professor Thompson of the UK which runs through current knowledge / current therapies / future therapies. This should keep you happy and give us all a break from you for a day or so. Enjoy.

Ian

http://www.mssociety.org.uk/go.rm?id=19331
Read more : Something for Lyon | Views : 900 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General Discussion

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 218763 • Total topics 22548 • Total members 14195