It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:45 pm

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

C3 necessary for 'maximal' EAE

Complement is part of the immune system. C3b is an Opsonin, (helps white blood cells to bind to foreign tissue), and it sounds to me as if C3b mistakenly binds to self-tissue, thus bonding it to white blood cells, which then destroy it.
C3a also can trigger the release of histamine, which may play a part in some forms of MS:

tinyURL
Read more : C3 necessary for 'maximal' EAE | Views : 798 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Psychosocial impact of MS

Just a little reminder to neuros that we're not just a bundle of faulty wiring. I wish I could get hold of the full texts to these abstracts--anyone got friends in high places?

tinyURL

Dom.
Read more : Psychosocial impact of MS | Views : 1231 | Replies : 2 | Forum : General Discussion

MS and heart rate

Looks as if MS can impair your body's ability to regulate the heart....dammit! Does that mean I'll have to give up mountaineering? :wink:

tinyURL

Dom.
Read more : MS and heart rate | Views : 1393 | Replies : 4 | Forum : General Discussion

Inflammation and degeneration together

We know that both processes occur in MS, and it's not an either/or question. They acknowledge here that treating just one may be detrimental, (presumably inflammation, because it can be helpful):

tinyURL

Dom.
Read more : Inflammation and degeneration together | Views : 1212 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Burning

Hello, 14 days ago I had terrible reaction on copaxone. Vomiting, problems with breath and so on...

From the time I have during a day problems with terrible burning (in my head especially, than my shoulder and chest) and with feeling of lack of air in my lungs, I am afrai of swooning but it never happens). Does anybody know this? Is it from MS, or from Copaxone? My doctor doesn´t know and I´am very ...
Read more : Burning | Views : 1530 | Replies : 3 | Forum : General Discussion

Why do relapses go?

Hi,

I recently wondered how it could be possible, following the traditional autoimmune theory, that the immune system comes to the point where it attacks the mylin sheath and after some time/event it calms down and stays quiet until the next relapse.

As far as I know, if the immunesystem comes across an "enemy" structure the immune-cascade is going on as strong as necessary, until the enemy structure is completly removed (or at least no ...
Read more : Why do relapses go? | Views : 1530 | Replies : 5 | Forum : General Discussion

Burning

Hello, 14 days ago I had terrible reaction on copaxone. Vomiting, problems with breath and so on...

From the time I have during a day problems with terrible burning and tingleing (in my head especially, than my shoulder and chest) and with feeling of lack of air in my lungs, I am afrai of swooning but it never happens). Does anybody know this? Is it from MS, or from Copaxone? My doctor doesn´t know and ...
Read more : Burning | Views : 2100 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Copaxone

My wife is an Aimspro patient

my wife has had MS fo 14 plus years and we desperately tried everything, treatments, diets, and so on. we researched desperately as she became progressively worse until she became confined to her bed.
We were sceptical about Aimspro, the negative messages we read, until we were fortunate enough to find a group of Aimspro users, the group shares its experiences amongst themselves and we joined in.
To day my wife, although still in a ...
Read more : My wife is an Aimspro patient | Views : 6138 | Replies : 4 | Forum : Aimspro

Secondary Progressive MS carer

Hallo
My name is David - I do not have MS, I am a MScarer for my wife who has Secondary Progressive, she was diagnosed with Relapsing Remitting MS about 14 years ago which changed to SP MS a few years back.
Her decline was slow initially but in recent years she has become steadily worse.
Over that time we tried all sorts of cures, diets, removed the mercury fillings and so on.
Last year ...
Read more : Secondary Progressive MS carer | Views : 1419 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Introductions

Problems with patents

This is a really interesting column on the shortcoming of the patent system in the pharmaceutical industry. It isn't written by Joe-average blogger, it is written by Nobel prize winner and former chief economist of the World Bank, Joseph Stiglitz.

Prizes, Not Patents

Part of modern medicine’s success is built on new drugs, in which pharmaceutical companies invest billions of dollars on research. The companies can recover their expenses thanks to patents, which give them ...
Read more : Problems with patents | Views : 1122 | Replies : 3 | Forum : General Discussion

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 219673 • Total topics 22681 • Total members 14297

Contact us | Terms of Service