It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:00 pm

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

Glucosamine-like supplement looks interesting

I love it when a simple, oral dietary supplement looks like it might be useful in the fight against MS. I found this on 'Eurekalert':

tmvasich@uci.edu <mailto:tmvasich@uci.edu>
949-824-6455
University of California - Irvine <http://www.uci.edu>
Glucosamine-like supplement inhibits multiple sclerosis, type 1 diabetes
Metabolic therapy shows promise for treating autoimmune diseases, UC Irvine study finds
Irvine, Calif., May 14, 2007 - A glucosamine-like dietary supplement has been found ...
Read more : Glucosamine-like supplement looks interesting | Views : 3224 | Replies : 6 | Forum : Natural Approach

NMSS summary of the AAN conference

Here is the NMSS' summary of the recent AAN conference.

<shortened url>

Ian
Read more : NMSS summary of the AAN conference | Views : 885 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Low Estrogen in Men Correlates with Disability

Here’s another abstract from the AAN.

Researchers found estradiol (form of estrogen) tended to be low in men with MS and correlated with disability. The researchers question whether men with MS might have a problem converting testosterone to estradiol.

They also found testosterone levels did not correlate with disability in men or women and that testosterone levels were increased in women (contrary to previous studies).

Serum Levels of Estradiol Correlate with Disability in Men with ...
Read more : Low Estrogen in Men Correlates with Disability | Views : 1798 | Replies : 8 | Forum : General Discussion

Vibrogym/power plate/vibrating platforms

Hi folks

Has anyone had any experience of using these?

I had a few sessions and the first was the most effective. Since then the impact has not been the same. :?

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has been using one of these machines for a while......

Thanks

J
Read more : Vibrogym/power plate/vibrating platforms | Views : 1464 | Replies : 2 | Forum : General Discussion

VZV vaccination useful for MS?

Hello,

in the context of possible viral causes/triggers of MS, would you think that it might be usefull for me to get a VZV vaccination?

Though I'm already infected with VZV, the vaccine showed, that it lowers the severety of a new active VZV infection.

Thanks for your suggestions.
--Frank
Read more : VZV vaccination useful for MS? | Views : 1114 | Replies : 2 | Forum : General Discussion

Herpes viruses again

Human endogenous retroviruses are ancient fragments of viral DNA which have become part of our own DNA, and have been linked to the development of MS. So have various herpes viruses. This team has discovered that even inactive herpes viruses can activate these ancient genes in white blood cells. Herpes simplex -1, (the cold sore virus), and human herpes virus -6 produce a time-limited response, while the Varicella-zoster virus, (chicken pox/ shingles), produces a sustained ...
Read more : Herpes viruses again | Views : 1131 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Blocking VLA-2 doesn't encourage PML.

The problem with drugs like Tysabri is that they not only prevent white blood cells from crossing the blood brain barrier and causing harm, they prevent them crossing and doing good things, like keeping viruses and PML in check.
This team took a different approach by blocking a molecule which interacts with the extracellular matrix, (basically, parts of tissue which are not part of the cell), and thus, so long as they get the timing ...
Read more : Blocking VLA-2 doesn't encourage PML. | Views : 944 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

happy mother's day

To all the mom's out there who struggle to raise a family despite this MS, who want the best for their kids despite this illness, who give all that they have even if it means neglecting their own physio or exercises or sleep, have a great day! Carole
Read more : happy mother's day | Views : 1480 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Daily Life

Non-infectious contributions to MS

It hadn't occurred to me before that smoking might be a risk factor which could explain the increase of MS in women, (in the UK at least, women and young girls smoke far more than men and boys). I would have thought it should be fairly easy to correlate the figures. Sunlight exposure, along with the myriad other non infectious environmental conditions, will be harder to quantify.
This from PubMed:

Environmental risk factors for multiple ...
Read more : Non-infectious contributions to MS | Views : 919 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Potentially negative side-effect of Minocycline et al

I came across this potentially negative effect of minocycline et al today :

The study authors conclude that it is very likely that minocycline's neuroprotective and anti-inflammatory effects are due to PARP-1 inhibition.

"This doesn't exclude the possibility that it has other actions," says Swanson, "but as far as we can tell, the only way it blocks inflammation is by blocking PARP-1."

Swanson says the results have implications beyond the general principle that "it helps ...
Read more : Potentially negative side-effect of Minocycline et al | Views : 1840 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Antibiotics

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 221021 • Total topics 22917 • Total members 14474

Contact us | Terms of Service