It is currently Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:12 pm

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

Single pathway to inflammation and degeneration found

Very interesting – the discovery of a new pathway which can give rise to both the inflammatory and degenerative stages of the disease:

Public release date: 20-Sep-2007

tmvasich@uci.edu
949-824-6455
University of California - Irvine

Cell-surface sugar defects may trigger nerve damage in multiple sclerosis patients
Study also suggests treatment for short-term and long-term damage caused by chronic ...
Read more : Single pathway to inflammation and degeneration found | Views : 868 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Single trigger found for inflammation and degeneration

Very interesting – the discovery of a new pathway which can give rise to both the inflammatory and degenerative stages of the disease:

Public release date: 20-Sep-2007

tmvasich@uci.edu
949-824-6455
University of California - Irvine

Cell-surface sugar defects may trigger nerve damage in multiple sclerosis patients
Study also suggests treatment for short-term and long-term damage caused by chronic ...
Read more : Single trigger found for inflammation and degeneration | Views : 1175 | Replies : 3 | Forum : General Discussion

Hearing Loss

Hello to everyone, I would like to politely ask you if anybody has experienced recently a relapse that includes hearing loss.

My left ear is literally picking up only certain amount of frequencies and volumes for about 1 week now that I hope will slowly fix if left untreated with corticosteroids.

Should I be patient (in the terms no permanent damage will occur), and wait or should I rush up to the hospital for my ...
Read more : Hearing Loss | Views : 1347 | Replies : 3 | Forum : General Discussion

Death from heat? first ive herd.

http://www.raysahelian.com/multiplesclerosis.html

Multiple Sclerosis Cause - Sun Exposure?
A 27-year-old white woman with a history of multiple sclerosis was found dead lying on a lounger, clad in a bathing suit. She had been sunbathing for 4 hours. Autopsy findings consisted of numerous variably sized demyelinated plaques involving the periventricular cerebral white matter and cerebellum. Elevation of core temperature in patients with multiple sclerosis leading to transient or permanent adverse neurologic signs and symptoms has been documented ...
Read more : Death from heat? first ive herd. | Views : 1165 | Replies : 2 | Forum : General Discussion

Lhermitte's sign

Hi all

My girlfriend discovered a new friend 4 days ago : a guy named Lhermitte, who's dwelling in her back. I hate this disease, and it seems to hate me too, by worsening so fast.

I have a question about this : if Lhermitte is part of a relapse, may it disappear like other symptoms with remission ? Did some of you experienced Lhermitte's sign going away ?

Thanks
Read more : Lhermitte's sign | Views : 4850 | Replies : 23 | Forum : General Discussion

Testosterone and sparrows' brains

Here's a bit more evidence for the neuroprotective effect of testosterone – it might seem a bit off the wall to discuss the song-producing bits of a sparrow's brain, but I suppose neurons are neurons!

Public release date: 17-Sep-2007

joels@u.washington.edu
206-543-2580
University of Washington
Cell death in sparrow brains may provide clues in age-related human diseases
A ...
Read more : Testosterone and sparrows' brains | Views : 925 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

IV or oral treatments for Lyme and/or MS?

I was diagnosed with MS, and recently diagnosed as having Lyme disease (positive western blot).

Is anyone being treated with antibiotics, IV or oral treatments for Lyme and/or MS?

And also if you are being treated with antibiotics, which doctor do you have - Neurologist, Lyme Doctor, General Practitioner?

Also, is your treatment covered by your Insurance?

Please let me know and thanks for your help,

Rob
Read more : IV or oral treatments for Lyme and/or MS? | Views : 3463 | Replies : 14 | Forum : Antibiotics

Anybody being treated with antibiotics

I was diagnosed with MS, and recently diagnosed as having Lyme disease (positive western blot).

Is anyone being treated with antibiotics, IV or oral treatments for Lyme and/or MS?

And also if you are being treated with antibiotics, which doctor do you have - Neurologist, Lyme Doctor, General Practitioner?

Also, is your treatment covered by your Insurance?

Please let me know and thanks for your help,

Rob
Read more : Anybody being treated with antibiotics | Views : 1684 | Replies : 6 | Forum : General Discussion

McAlpine's 4th edition

I thought some of you might find Section 3, chapter 8, heading "THE SPECTRUM OF DISORDERS MIMICKING MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS", subheading "DISEASES THAT MAY CAUSE MULTIPLE LESIONS OF THE CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM AND ALSO OFTEN FOLLOW A RELAPSING-REMITTING COURSE" written by David Miller and Alastair Compston.

Of course the book goes into details of the diseases but I have to type all this so I'm just giving the disease names.

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT WHAT ...
Read more : McAlpine's 4th edition | Views : 1048 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

The stomach and enteroviruses

Any one else feel that their MS is somehow related to a history of gastric/intestinal viruses? My husband almost died as an infant, from a virus which left him severely dehydrated. He's since had a "sensitive stomach" -has contracted food poisoning on several occasions, and suffered more than his share of stomach flus. Conversely, he has never had respiratory difficulties- a cold now and then, but not much above the belt.

When he was dx ...
Read more : The stomach and enteroviruses | Views : 1920 | Replies : 13 | Forum : General Discussion

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 223971 • Total topics 23336 • Total members 14769

Contact us | Terms of Service