It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:01 am

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

WM and GM lesions occur simultaneously

Abstract from PubMed:

Inflammatory demyelination and neurodegeneration in early multiple sclerosis.

Charil A, Filippi M.

Neuroimaging Research Unit, Department of Neurology, Scientific Institute and University Ospedale San Raffaele, Milan, Italy.

A number of recent magnetic resonance imaging studies have challenged the classical view of multiple sclerosis (MS) as a "two-stage" disease where an early inflammatory demyelinating phase with focal macroscopic lesions formed in the white matter (WM) of the central nervous system is followed by ...
Read more : WM and GM lesions occur simultaneously | Views : 792 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Must I give up fentanyl?

I have suffered from extraordinary pain from spasticity from MS for three years. I'm allergic to most narcotics (percocet, vicodin, codine, etc.). So when we found that the fentanyl (duragesic) patch gave me no side effects and let me live my life again, I was thrilled.

But then I met a woman who owns one of the premiere compounding pharmacies in the US (Marla - womenshealth.com) and she recommended LDN and I talked to my ...
Read more : Must I give up fentanyl? | Views : 2076 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Low Dose Naltrexone

RNFL -New Imaging

My neurologist has suggested that I get a Retinal Nerve Fiber Layer (RNFL) imaging of my eyes. The equipment used is an Optical Coherence Tomography machine. The test is non-invasive, and quick. I do not know if insurance will make payment for MS, but my understanding is the cost is minimal. The neuro believes the test will be used in standard treatment of MS within the next couple of years. My non-scientific understanding of the ...
Read more : RNFL -New Imaging | Views : 1401 | Replies : 4 | Forum : General Discussion

Ever had electric shocks in your fingers and/or thumbs ?

If you have ever experienced electric shocks in your fingers and thumbs could you please look at the photographs on my website ..

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/chevron-blanching

thanks
Read more : Ever had electric shocks in your fingers and/or thumbs ? | Views : 1746 | Replies : 3 | Forum : General Discussion

Exercise and Relapses

Question to anyone: Do you think strenuous exercise can cause a relapse?

I ask this because exercise is so pushed as nothing but a positive for us MS'ers and I have taken that to heart. In the last five years I have barely missed a day of running except this winter during a bad time and horrible weather around here. Since I've started back, I feel like I can barely finish my runs. I start ...
Read more : Exercise and Relapses | Views : 5531 | Replies : 42 | Forum : General Discussion

Fillings and MS

One of those irritating "further study required" conclusions, but the link with amalgam appears weak so far. Size may matter though, (of fillings):

Dental amalgam and multiple sclerosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Aminzadeh KK, Etminan M.
Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Evaluation, Vancouver Hospital, Vancouver, Canada.

OBJECTIVES: Amalgam restorations have long been controversial due to their mercury content. Allegations that the mercury may be linked to nervous disorders such as Alzheimer's, chronic fatigue syndrome, and ...
Read more : Fillings and MS | Views : 8259 | Replies : 50 | Forum : General Discussion

Peroxynitrite & oligodendrocytes

Further evidence that peroxynitrite is bad in MS. Uric Acid scavenges it, and inosine raises Uric Acid levels, which is why I take inosine!

Contrasting potential of nitric oxide and peroxynitrite to mediate oligodendrocyte injury in multiple sclerosis.Jack C, Antel J, Bruck W, Kuhlmann T.
Neuroimmunology Unit, Montreal Neurological Institute, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

Nitric oxide (NO) and peroxynitrite (ONOO(-)) are potential mediators of the injury and cytotoxicity occurring over time to oligodendrocytes in ...
Read more : Peroxynitrite & oligodendrocytes | Views : 928 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

I can't wait!

Hi
Yesterday I saw my neuro, to check whether Copaxone had any effect on my brain health seen on MRI.
Unfortunately, after 6 months of daily self shooting, nothing, or actually something: 20 more active lesions + two relapses.
My neuro who is a bit hyper-active did not take ages to decide,
I'll take Tysabri in one month since she needs before this to have the agreement of 5 other neuros(so it is in France). ...
Read more : I can't wait! | Views : 1743 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Tysabri (Antegren or Natalizumab)

New imaging

New imaging approach promises insights into multiple sclerosis - 18 April 2007

Researchers have developed a way to use three types of microscopic imaging techniques simultaneously to analyse living tissue and learn more about the molecular mechanisms of multiple sclerosis, information that could help lead to earlier detection and new treatments.

The combined imaging method is enabling the researchers to study how multiple sclerosis causes an overproduction of "astroglial filaments," which form bundles between ...
Read more : New imaging | Views : 1011 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General Discussion

Montell Williams Show

Hi all,

I was planning on watching the Montel Williams show today on MS, but it was preempted in my area due to the Virginia Tech tragedy. Did anyone else see it? Was there anything of interest in it? Any info on when it may be rebroadcast?

thanks in advance,

ThinkingOutLoud
Read more : Montell Williams Show | Views : 1295 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General Discussion

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 220798 • Total topics 22879 • Total members 14448

Contact us | Terms of Service