It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:39 pm

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

New imaging

New imaging approach promises insights into multiple sclerosis - 18 April 2007

Researchers have developed a way to use three types of microscopic imaging techniques simultaneously to analyse living tissue and learn more about the molecular mechanisms of multiple sclerosis, information that could help lead to earlier detection and new treatments.

The combined imaging method is enabling the researchers to study how multiple sclerosis causes an overproduction of "astroglial filaments," which form bundles between ...
Read more : New imaging | Views : 1012 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General Discussion

Montell Williams Show

Hi all,

I was planning on watching the Montel Williams show today on MS, but it was preempted in my area due to the Virginia Tech tragedy. Did anyone else see it? Was there anything of interest in it? Any info on when it may be rebroadcast?

thanks in advance,

ThinkingOutLoud
Read more : Montell Williams Show | Views : 1296 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General Discussion

Tysabri helps maintain vision in MS

I think this report is worth reading, but it's also worth bearing in mind who "supported" this study, (the manufacturers: it's in the last few lines)...
<http://www.eurekalert.org/pubnews.php>

<http://www.eurekalert.org/pubnews.php>Public release date: 16-Apr-2007

kate.olderman@uphs.upenn.edu <mailto:kate.olderman@uphs.upenn.edu>
215-349-8369
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine <http://www.med.upenn.edu/>
Penn researchers find treatment for MS also reduces vision loss in MS patients
First MS study ...
Read more : Tysabri helps maintain vision in MS | Views : 1683 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Tysabri (Antegren or Natalizumab)

CD24: missing gene reduces MS risk

Below is the author's summary of a report into a genetic mutation which appears to help protect against MS and Lupus. The mutation occurs at a point which should make the protein CD 24, but two base pairs are missing so the body produces less.
CD24 plays an important part in the immune system, and reducing the amount of it cuts not only the risk of getting MS or lupus in the first place, but ...
Read more : CD24: missing gene reduces MS risk | Views : 950 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

IVIG for exacerbation???

Solu-Medrol v/s Intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG)

We're on Novantrone now and the Neuro is prescibing IVIG instead of Solu-Medrol for an exacerbation. we're only familiar with Solu-Medrol.

Can you help us know what to expect?

Thanks, napay
Read more : IVIG for exacerbation??? | Views : 1175 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General Discussion

Tovaxin and Progessive MS?

Hi all,
Starting this trial path has made me wonder if anyone, in any stage of the trial has had or suspected they were in the "progressive ms" group. Were any of the initial phases open to progressive patients? What were the results etc.? I have long suspected I was in the progressive group. I have never had any remittance since my diagnosis (nearly 8 months), only slowly worsening symptoms. I have never been given ...
Read more : Tovaxin and Progessive MS? | Views : 4602 | Replies : 17 | Forum : Tcelna (Tovaxin)

Auditory device and gait

Auditory Device Makes Walking Easier For MS Patients, Says Professor Yoram Baram, Israel

A Technion Institute computer science researcher has devised an auditory feedback system which enables patients with multiple sclerosis (MS) to improve their gait.

Professor Yoram Baram said that the apparatus, which is an updated version of a virtual reality visual feedback apparatus he developed a decade ago, can also help Parkinson's disease patients walk better.

"Our earlier system was based on a ...
Read more : Auditory device and gait | Views : 773 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

EGR2

Researchers discover gene crucial for nerve cell insulation 16 April 2007

Researchers funded by the National Institutes of Health have discovered how a defect in a single master gene disrupts the process by which several genes interact to create myelin, a fatty coating that covers nerve cells and increases the speed and reliability of their electrical signals.
The discovery has implications for understanding disorders of myelin production. These disorders can affect the peripheral nervous system—the ...
Read more : EGR2 | Views : 847 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General Discussion

natalizumab and reducing vision loss

MS drug helps reduce vision loss 16 April 2007

A drug that slows disability and reduces relapse rates in multiple sclerosis (MS) has been found to also reduce vision loss in patients with relapsing MS. Vision loss is one of the most common and debilitating symptoms of MS. The findings are published in the April 17, 2007, issue of Neurology®, the scientific journal of the American Academy of Neurology.

The analyses were performed on data ...
Read more : natalizumab and reducing vision loss | Views : 979 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

Ever had a day like this??

Please tell me I'm not crazy--or at least not alone :lol:

I woke up this morning and my right calf hurt like I had a pulled muscle. I have been working out regularly and figured that I just overdid it yesterday. But in the back of my mind I was probably wondering if it was the start of a relapse since my right leg is always affected. ...
Read more : Ever had a day like this?? | Views : 2857 | Replies : 19 | Forum : General Discussion

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 220807 • Total topics 22881 • Total members 14449

Contact us | Terms of Service