It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:53 pm

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

Veterans and MS

New Research To Examine Increased Risk of Multiple Sclerosis Among US Veterans 15 April 2007

Cases Suggest MS Could be Driven by Environmental Factors.
Emerging research has identified a possible increased risk of developing multiple sclerosis (MS) among Gulf War veterans. Data from the Department of Veterans Affairs MS Centres of Excellence and the Department of the Defense will help further investigate the link.

Of veterans with MS who were deployed in the Gulf War, ...
Read more : Veterans and MS | Views : 13159 | Replies : 46 | Forum : Veterans and MS

ranting about a doctor or two

okay i'm really mad. this is not about ms it's about a lady in her 80s. below is the summary of her medical care over the last few years. but it all started with her asking me to look at her bloodwork results the other day. she had her CBC results and her MPV, MCH, MCV, and her RDW were all high. now, the history.

- receiving b12 shots from doctor #1
- doctor #1 ...
Read more : ranting about a doctor or two | Views : 1583 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Daily Life

Varicella Zoster

1: J Neurol. 2007 Mar 31; Links
Varicella-zoster virus at relapses of multiple sclerosis.Sotelo J, Ordonez G, Pineda B.
Neuroimmunology Unit, National Institute of Neurology and Neurosurgery of Mexico, Insurgentes Sur 3877, 14269, Mexico City, Mexico, jsotelo@servidor.unam.mx.

The possible participation of different herpes viruses was studied during exacerbations of multiple sclerosis (MS). We searched for the presence of DNA from the following herpes viruses: varicella zoster ...
Read more : Varicella Zoster | Views : 882 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Nicotinamide etc.

This abstract provides a rationale for the use of, among other things, niacin and nicotinamide:

Pharmacological Targeting of IDO-Mediated Tolerance for Treating Autoimmune Disease.

Penberthy WT.

University of Cincinnati, Building C Room 217A, 2180 E. Galbraith Road, Cincinnati, OH 45237, USA. WTPENBER@YAHOO.COM.

Immunomodulatory factors including IFNgamma, TNFalpha, IL-1, and LPS use IDO induction in responsive antigen presenting cells (APCs) also to transmit tolerogenic signals to T cells. Thus it makes ...
Read more : Nicotinamide etc. | Views : 868 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

More Aggressive Forms

Along the way I've noticed that the Japanese are affected with a more aggressive form of MS as it is also speculated that African Americans, the male sex and indeed it seems that in the US, as MS strikes an increasing percentage of the population, it's been speculated that it was more aggressive when it first began it's increasing incidence which is sometimes considered to have really started rolling in the 1950's.

Of course this ...
Read more : More Aggressive Forms | Views : 1191 | Replies : 6 | Forum : General Discussion

Question about CRAB's...

Has anyone heard of Copaxone being favored/effective only for milder cases of RRMS (i.e. situations where there is almost complete recovery and little residual symptoms), and interferon’s being favored in cases where there are more residual symptoms present with RRMS.

Or is Copaxone being used regardless of the severity of the RRMS?

Any advice/information is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Read more : Question about CRAB's... | Views : 1462 | Replies : 4 | Forum : General Discussion

Vitamin D study in Tasmania

This study appears to strongly reinforce the notion that vitamin D levels are closely associated with the amount of disability in MS:

1: J Neurol. 2007 Apr 11; Links
Vitamin D levels in people with multiple sclerosis and community controls in Tasmania, Australia.van der Mei IA, Ponsonby AL, Dwyer T, Blizzard L, Taylor BV, Kilpatrick T, Butzkueven H, McMichael AJ.
Menzies Research Institute, Private Bag 23, Hobart, Tasmania, 7001, Australia, ...
Read more : Vitamin D study in Tasmania | Views : 897 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General Discussion

Jimmylegs...

...sent an interesting article to you--did you get???
Read more : Jimmylegs... | Views : 919 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General Discussion

Sleep

Here's an interesting abstract on the increase of inflammatory markers due to loss of sleep via sleep interruption. This research seems to correlate with my own experience as the neuropathic pain I experience is typically worse when I'm short on sleep yet it hardly bothers me first thing in the morning before I get up (it's also worse when I'm stressed, the last time I moved it felt like nearly my whole leg was wrapped ...
Read more : Sleep | Views : 1424 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Natural Approach

RPI-78M

Nutra Pharma Announces ReceptoPharm Patent for a Method of Treating Multiple Sclerosis 11 April 2007
Nutra Pharma Corp. a biotechnology company that is developing drugs for HIV and Multiple Sclerosis has today announced that its drug discovery division, ReceptoPharm, has filed a patent for a method of treating autoimmune diseases, including Multiple Sclerosis (MS) and Rheumatoid Arthritis.
The patent discusses a method of treatment that uses ReceptoPharm's lead drug candidate, RPI-78M, to induce gamma-interferon and ...
Read more : RPI-78M | Views : 1339 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 220802 • Total topics 22880 • Total members 14448

Contact us | Terms of Service