It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:41 pm

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

Hi everyone - just an intro & quick quuestion

Hi there

I am a bit new to the site, but have been reading all the great info for a while - hope you don't mind if I join in? This site seems to be a fantastic font of information, and I admit to my ignorance! I am fortunate enough to have a husband, and am enjoying raising our two little boys, and am still working full time as I have all my life, though ...
Read more : Hi everyone - just an intro & quick quuestion | Views : 1993 | Replies : 7 | Forum : Introductions

Protein research

Prof Steinman is presenting at the MS Frontiers conference in London this week so may provide more detail on this research.

Stanford researchers clarify protein's role in multiple sclerosis 13 June 2007

A protein found primarily in the lens of the eye could be the critical "tipping point" in the spiral of inflammation and damage that occurs in multiple sclerosis, researchers at the Stanford University School of Medicine report.
This protein - alphaB-crystallin - ...
Read more : Protein research | Views : 929 | Replies : 2 | Forum : General Discussion

Cladribine - one for Lyon

Lyon,

Now that you have ditched that dreadful shiny shirt and have signed up to the hair-transplant, I thought I'd reward you the research results you like to see.

<shortened url>

Ian
Read more : Cladribine - one for Lyon | Views : 1114 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General Discussion

Tovaxin News

Greetings,
This recent press release from Opexa suggests that they may be improving their methods of making the vaccine. Hopefully, this will increase the efficacy of the current vaccine and, in the future, help get people into the Phase III study more quickly once it begins.

NHE

Opexa Presents Tovaxin™ Research at Federation of Clinical Immunology Societies Annual Meeting
June 11, 2007 07:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time

THE WOODLANDS, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Opexa Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ:OPXA), a ...
Read more : Tovaxin News | Views : 1901 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Tcelna (Tovaxin)

Histamine research

Central histamine H3 receptor signaling negatively regulates susceptibility to autoimmune inflammatory disease of the CNS. 13 June 2007

Histamine (HA), a biogenic amine with a broad spectrum of activities in both physiological and pathological settings, plays a key regulatory role in experimental allergic encephalomyelitis, the autoimmune model of multiple sclerosis. HA exerts its effect through four G protein-coupled receptors designated HA receptor H1, H2, H3, and H4.
We report here that, compared with wild-type ...
Read more : Histamine research | Views : 2729 | Replies : 20 | Forum : General Discussion

Emotions gone wonky...is this relapse?

Hi
I'm usually v. good at knowing what's a relapse and what's not - after 9 + years with the MonSter I should be!.

I seem to be crying at very small things. In work this has happened a few times recently. Feel very "teary" today and feel like I am raw emotionally. I know a lot's going on for me and DH right now (I am off Copax last 2 months as trying for ...
Read more : Emotions gone wonky...is this relapse? | Views : 1999 | Replies : 12 | Forum : General Discussion

Experiences on supplementing homones?

Hi,

After reading various studies, indication a link between hormone levels and the dissease course of MS decided to get my hormon levels tested.

My results are:
-----------------
Estradiol: 14,9pg/ml Norm: 11,6 - 41,2
Testosteron: 5,4ng/ml Norm: 4,0 - 9,0
DHEA-S: 206,0mcg/ml Opt: 250 - 400

My GP said, if I wanted to he would subscribe testosteron and estradiol gels to get my values to the upper norm levels.
I'm not sure yet, but basicly ...
Read more : Experiences on supplementing homones? | Views : 1536 | Replies : 3 | Forum : Natural Approach

Hormone Study - understanding/translation problem

Hi,

could someome please help me to understand the results of that study, I think I have problems with the translation:

Link PubMed

RESULTS: Serum testosterone was significantly lower in women with MS than in controls. The lowest levels were found in women with a greater number of gadolinium enhancing lesions. A positive correlation was observed between testosterone concentrations and both tissue damage on MRI and clinical disability.
In men, there was a positive ...
Read more : Hormone Study - understanding/translation problem | Views : 1490 | Replies : 8 | Forum : General Discussion

I like monkeys

I like monkeys, but this research looks very interesting and it gives the poor old mice a day off.

Ian

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6742163.stm
Read more : I like monkeys | Views : 2032 | Replies : 4 | Forum : Stem Cells

Interview with Dr. Marcia Angell

Dr. Marcia Angell, senior lecturer at the Harvard Medical School and former editor of The New England Journal of Medicine and author of the book The Truth About The Drug Companies, How They Deceive Us And What To Do About It reviewed on ThisIsMS here, was recently interviewed on NPR's Radio Open Source. You can find a discussion about the interview here and listen to an MP3 recording of the interview here.

NHE
Read more : Interview with Dr. Marcia Angell | Views : 1252 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General Discussion

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 222238 • Total topics 23080 • Total members 14608

Contact us | Terms of Service