It is currently Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:56 am

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

Antibody Promotes Remyelination

Preclinical Study Published in Nature Medicine Shows Anti-LINGO-1 Antibody Promotes Remyelination
Suggests Potential Role in the Treatment of Multiple Sclerosis and Other
Demyelinating Diseases

CAMBRIDGE, MASS., September 30 /CNW/ - Biogen Idec (NASDAQ: BIIB) announced today the publication of findings from a preclinical study reporting that the anti-LINGO-1 antibody can promote spinal cord remyelination and axonal integrity, suggesting a potential role as a treatment for multiple sclerosis (MS) and other demyelinating diseases of the central ...
Read more : Antibody Promotes Remyelination | Views : 2587 | Replies : 7 | Forum : General Discussion

BG-12 or fumaric acid anyone ???

I've been taking fumaric acid 240mg 3x a day for four months to treat PPMS. I feel like something positive is happening to my immune system, I'm just not sure what. Does anyone know what the mechanism of BG-12 is supposed to be? Any one in a trial??
Read more : BG-12 or fumaric acid anyone ??? | Views : 3733 | Replies : 6 | Forum : Tecfidera (BG-12, dimethyl fumarate)

Machine that "sees" lesions in gray/white matter

Is there currently a type of machine that can locate lesions in the white and gray matter of MS patients?

I just had an MRI last week and it showed no lesions at all in my brain even though I have had a diagnosis based on symptoms of MS for over 35 years. The neurologist that my doctor called while I was in her office last week told her that if no lesions were showing ...
Read more : Machine that "sees" lesions in gray/white matter | Views : 1382 | Replies : 3 | Forum : General Discussion

Alzheimers may be type 3 diabetes

lyndacarol,

Here is an article describing how insulin may be the cause of the brain damage in Alzheimer's. Maybe it might also relate to MS.

Theory That Alzheimer's Disease Is A Third Form Of Diabetes Supported By Discovery, 29 Sep 2007

Insulin, it turns out, may be as important for the mind as it is for the body. Research in the last few years has raised the possibility that Alzheimer's memory loss could be due ...
Read more : Alzheimers may be type 3 diabetes | Views : 1263 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General Discussion

Psoriasis disappearing since starting Avonex!!

Ive been on Avonex for 2 months and the Psoriasis (which is also autoimmune) I had on both elbows is going away. The surface area that was affected is 95% gone on my right elbow and 80% healed on the left.

I was wondering if this occurrence has happened to anyone else, or anything similar to this. Ive been amazed by this for the past 6 weeks since I started noticing it getting better as ...
Read more : Psoriasis disappearing since starting Avonex!! | Views : 4291 | Replies : 7 | Forum : Avonex

Sad news

It is with great sadness that I have to advise the readers of this forum that my wife Marg passed away late this afternoon.

After suffering from MS for over 36 years and in the past year from various ailments, she is finally at peace. She was recently admitted to hospital with Pancreatitis but had several other medical problems as well.

Harry
Read more : Sad news | Views : 12385 | Replies : 78 | Forum : General Discussion

PBS: Innovation - Stem Cells

I just watched this show on PBS called Innovation which discussed how stem cells are being used to help heal spinal chord injuries and damaged heart tissue following a heart attack. The show is from 2004 so the information might be a little dated but it was great to see the success in these areas. It would be really interesting to see a followup of this show to learn how these patients are doing now ...
Read more : PBS: Innovation - Stem Cells | Views : 1483 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Stem Cells

Bristol UK Stem cell trials raise multiple sclerosis hopes

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... tem128.xml

Stem cell trials raise multiple sclerosis hopes

By Martin Beckford
Last Updated: 3:52am BST 28/09/2007

Tens of thousands of patients with MS could benefit from the revolutionary treatment if the tests taking place at the Frenchay hospital, near Bristol, are successful.

Patients are injected with stem cells taken from their own bone marrow, not from umbilical cords

The procedure involves patients being injected with stem cells ...
Read more : Bristol UK Stem cell trials raise multiple sclerosis hopes | Views : 1228 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

just got LDN Rx

First time poster here. First, a little background:

37 y/o male, SPMS Dx 11/01. Drugs tried: Copaxone, Avonex, Rebif; none of which seem to work, and all of which made me miserable w/ side effects. Not taking any frontline MS drugs @ present. I've had 6 or 7 courses of IV SoluMedrol over the last several years, each one with less desired effect than the one before. I currently take Adderall XR for fatigue (20mg ...
Read more : just got LDN Rx | Views : 9350 | Replies : 21 | Forum : Low Dose Naltrexone

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 224464 • Total topics 23445 • Total members 14849

Contact us | Terms of Service