It is currently Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:35 pm

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

WalkAide

Has anyone tried the new nerve stimulator that helps footdrop, improves circulation, etc.? I saw it in the MSQR magazine. It's with Rx only, so you have to talk to your doctor about it and see if it's right for your situation. I was thinking that it might help me to bend my ankles allowing me to get up and down stairs easier. Right now I walk very stiff-legged and I can't raise my foot ...
Read more : WalkAide | Views : 1710 | Replies : 2 | Forum : General Discussion

mast cells

Interesting potential...

Mast cells, T cells, and inhibition by luteolin: implications for the pathogenesis and treatment of multiple sclerosis.

Adv Exp Med Biol. 2007;601:423-30.
Theoharides TC, Kempuraj D, Iliopoulou BP.
Department of Pharmacology, Internal Medicine and Biochemistry, Immunology Program, Tufts University School of Medicine, Tufts-New England Medical Center, Boston, MA, USA. theoharis.theoharides@tufts.edu

Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a demyelinating disease of the central nervous system (CNS) mainly mediated by Th1, but ...
Read more : mast cells | Views : 977 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

When will we see the First Oral Drug Approved?

I know there are some of you out there who have a better understanding of this than I do, so lets hear your predictions. I know we have oral laquininod, oral cladribine, fingolimond (FTY720), teriflunomide, and oral fumarate (BG12) all in the late stages of trials, so which one will be first? Also, which one do we think will be the best? Dave
Read more : When will we see the First Oral Drug Approved? | Views : 5701 | Replies : 16 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

Lipoic Acid: R vs. S

I recently posted this information in another thread but I thought that it might be a good idea for it to be in its own thread in the Natural Approach forum.

Lipoic acid is an antioxidant which some researchers are investigating as a possible treatment therapy for MS. Many people refer to lipoic acid by the name 'Alpha Lipoic Acid' however synthetic lipoic acid usually contains two isomers in a 50/50 mix known as the ...
Read more : Lipoic Acid: R vs. S | Views : 6472 | Replies : 14 | Forum : Natural Approach

MS Diagnostics

Hi all,

Found this article re: a newly developed technique to test for a number of medical conditions, including MS. It is in the experimental stage, but sounds interesting. Below is the link and article.

TOL

http://www.startribune.com/462/story/1377928.html

Brain test could help make earlier diagnoses

A technique developed by a U scientist shows promise in detecting several neurological disorders for which there is no other single test.

By Maura Lerner, ...
Read more : MS Diagnostics | Views : 1073 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

How bacteria can get into the nervous system

Here's an interesting discovery about a possible way for bacteria to enter the CSF, which doesn't require the presence of blood brain barrier leakage:

Bacterial toxins and Multiple Sclerosis.

J Neurol Sci. 2007 Aug 17;

Authors: Gay F

The primary pathogenetic mechanism responsible for the distinctive demyelinating lesions in the Central Nervous System (CNS) in Multiple Sclerosis (MS), first described in remarkable detail by Charcot more than 170 years ago, remains one of the most ...
Read more : How bacteria can get into the nervous system | Views : 1564 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Futures in Biotech

Here's a link to a bunch of very interesting podcasts / audio files wherein a number of experts are interviewed about their work in biotech, genomics, proteomics, brain science, systems biology, synthetic biology and even multiple sclerosis!

http://www.twit.tv/FIB
Read more : Futures in Biotech | Views : 965 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Immune and nervous system cells talk to each other

Signalling between cells is vital for correct functioning, but I didn't realise that the immune system and nervous system talked to each other quite so much:

Trends Immunol. 2007 Aug 3;
Franco R, Pacheco R, Lluis C, Ahern GP, O''connell PJ
Discuss | category: Immunology

Initially, the idea that neurotransmitters could serve as immunomodulators emerged with the discovery that their release and diffusion from nervous tissue could lead to signaling through lymphocyte cell-surface receptors and ...
Read more : Immune and nervous system cells talk to each other | Views : 1140 | Replies : 2 | Forum : General Discussion

Switching meds...

Hi,

I was on Rebif until last week and will be changing to a new medication next week. For those that have switched meds do you start out at low dosage again? Also do you feel the same initial pain as you did when you began your first treatment?

I'm worried that I was finally feel good on Rebif, but had to switch due to allergic reaction. Will I suffer in the begining again as ...
Read more : Switching meds... | Views : 1082 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General Discussion

Growing neurons for experiments

I think we're all pretty disillusioned by the failure of animal models to provide an accurate experimental analogue of human MS. Hopefully this new development will provide a better tool for understanding the disease, as well as more relevant test results.

Main Category: Neurology / Neuroscience News
Article Date: 20 Aug 2007 - 13:00 PDT
Scientists with the Institute of Stem Cell Biology and Medicine at UCLA were able to produce from human embryonic stem ...
Read more : Growing neurons for experiments | Views : 1285 | Replies : 7 | Forum : General Discussion

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 224425 • Total topics 23436 • Total members 14845

Contact us | Terms of Service