It is currently Wed May 27, 2015 9:19 am

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

New here

My name is Lauri and I was diagnosed with MS in 2004. I started on Avonex and loved it but unfortunately had to switch to Rebif. I have gone on disability in the last year.

Lauri xo
Read more : New here | Views : 1645 | Replies : 4 | Forum : Introductions

ECTRIMS report

A post-hoc analysis from a Phase III clinical trial of AVONEX(R) (interferon beta-1a) and post-randomization eight-year follow up shows that six-month sustained progression of disability at two years, using the Expanded Disability Status Scale (EDSS), is a significant predictor of long-term disability, as measured by EDSS milestones of 4.0, 5.0, 6.0 and 7.0 at eight years, in patients with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis (RRMS).

The analysis suggests that patients taking AVONEX for two years were less ...
Read more : ECTRIMS report | Views : 2290 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Avonex

Gene variants linked to MS

Three gene variants have been found to correlate with susceptibility to multiple sclerosis, according to findings of the International Multiple Sclerosis Genetics Consortium (IMSGC) presented here at the 132nd Annual Meeting of the American Neurological Association (ANA).

Variants of interleukin 2RA, interleukin 7RA and CD58 were found to correlate with multiple sclerosis in a whole genome analysis that included about 4,500 participants. "The same finding has been reported in two other papers as well," noted ...
Read more : Gene variants linked to MS | Views : 1817 | Replies : 7 | Forum : General Discussion

Disease-free on Tysabri?

12 October 2007, 14:57:35
Study Shows Increased Proportion of Patients Achieve Disease-Free Status with TYSABRI - Separate Study Demonstrates Plasma Exchange May Be an Effective Tool to Accelerate TYSABRI Removal.

Biogen Idec and Elan Corporation, plc announced that TYSABRI® (natalizumab) treatment significantly increases the proportion of disease-free patients with multiple sclerosis (MS) according to a post hoc analysis of the Phase III AFFIRM study to be presented on Saturday, October 13, 2007 at the 23rd ...
Read more : Disease-free on Tysabri? | Views : 11990 | Replies : 42 | Forum : Tysabri (Antegren or Natalizumab)

Endocannabinnoids and neuroprotection

There's quite a lot of general background information here, but the upshot of it all seems to be that the neuroprotective effects are useful in diseases like MS:

Public release date: 14-Oct-2007

mechou@cc.huji.ac.il
European College of Neuropsychopharmacology

The endocannabinoids: Functional roles and therapeutic opportunities
Cannabis (marijuana) is the most widely produced plant-based illicit drug worldwide and ...
Read more : Endocannabinnoids and neuroprotection | Views : 1275 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Short term cyclophosphamide reduces brain atrophy

I found this one specially interesting because previous studies on autologous stem cell transplants showd a significant increase in brain atrophy. Possible due to the toxic effect of chemo-therapy which would also be relevant for HDC treatment.

--Frank

Short-term exposure to cyclophosphamide is effective in reducing long-term brain atrophy in refractory relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis
J. Perumal, F. Bao, Z. Latif, I. Zak, C. Caon, A. Tselis, O. Khan (Detroit, USA)

Objective:
To investigate the ...

Hi everyone

Hello everyone i'm Michlle.. I just found this forum the other nite. im so glad i did.. i was disgnosed with m.s 3 yr's ago and my medication is avonex.. im just glad ive foung a place where i can talk to other people with the same thing i have. I always seam to talk to people that knows someone with ms but i think it nicer to talk with people that have ms. I ...
Read more : Hi everyone | Views : 1470 | Replies : 3 | Forum : Introductions

High Dose Cyclophosphamide (Revimmune)

American Autoimmune Related Disease Association article from 1995
http://www.aarda.org/infocus_article.php?ID=11

"Rebooting" - A Promise For Autoimmune Diseases?
Johns Hopkins University researchers have developed a new technique in treating autoimmune disease patients which reboots the immune system with results that have cured some patients while dramatically improving the health of others. This is a new approach to the use of stem cells in treating autoimmune disease.

Autoimmunity occurs when the blood ...
Read more : High Dose Cyclophosphamide (Revimmune) | Views : 2875 | Replies : 4 | Forum : Revimmune (cyclophosphamide or cytoxan)

robbie

you ok
shell
Read more : robbie | Views : 2102 | Replies : 3 | Forum : Antibiotics

sarah

thank you so much for sending me the info for my doctor. it actually served to purposes. i sent it to my husband at work to copy and he read it. so now he is like 'that lady from england went thru that' 'you're gonna be ok,just wait it out' now my doctor,he is so VERY protective. he put me up to 200mg doxy for 6 weeks then he will add the roxy. IF i ...
Read more : sarah | Views : 2462 | Replies : 6 | Forum : Antibiotics

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 225626 • Total topics 23666 • Total members 15019

Contact us | Terms of Service