It is currently Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:40 am

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

Tysabri Infusion updates...

Hi everyone..., I hope that all is well. If anyone is interested, I had my 15th Tysabri infusion yesterday, Friday the 30th.

After a long nap when I got home, I was feeling wonderful.

I am happy to report that I still have no side effects or infusion site reactions. Even with the cold, rainy, dreary day out here, I was happy to have been headed off for my 15th infusion only a few miles ...
Read more : Tysabri Infusion updates... | Views : 5599 | Replies : 7 | Forum : Tysabri (Antegren or Natalizumab)

Doubt!

Are any of the thousands of members that may be on one of the conventional treatments ever wonder if maybe they should try one of these alternative therepies such as ldn or antibiotics ect. After all you may get better results taking a pill than poking yourself with a needle for years on end. What do you think? I know the only way to find out is to try them but it must be hard ...
Read more : Doubt! | Views : 6607 | Replies : 49 | Forum : General Discussion

Causes and potential cures for MS

Although I'm new to the community I've noticed something I think is important. Both in reading posts here and looking at information elsewhere I've found that with almost every case of MS research can be done to find a potential cause or cure but that it may only apply to a few cases. What I mean is there are so many different pieces of research that seem to have valid finds with solid information that ...
Read more : Causes and potential cures for MS | Views : 1993 | Replies : 6 | Forum : General Discussion

Faulty syringes

I have had four bad lots of syringes in a row, where the plunger does not go all the way down with the auto-injector, leaving some of the medication behind.

I called Serono and apparently there is an on-going investigation, as this is a wide-spread problem in Canada. And they've known about it for months.

Their only solution was to recommend switching to manual injection. I don't feel ready to do that yet but I ...
Read more : Faulty syringes | Views : 3041 | Replies : 8 | Forum : Rebif

silenced genes

I think this type of knowledge could have implications for scientists studying MS.

Duke Scientists Map 'Silenced Genes'

AP - Remember biology class where you learned that children inherit one copy of a gene from mom and a second from dad? There's a twist: Some of those genes arrive switched off, so there is no backup if the other copy goes bad, making you more vulnerable to disorders from obesity to cancer.

Duke University scientists ...
Read more : silenced genes | Views : 1643 | Replies : 6 | Forum : General Discussion

LDN now for 6 months

:D I have been on LDN for 6 months. I have had MS for about 23 years. Did Copaxone for 6.5 yrs and then reacted badly and had to stop. I had just found out about LDN and started it 6 months ago. Initially it did disturb my sleep for about 8 days. That first 8 days I was very sleepy and napped alot. After the ...
Read more : LDN now for 6 months | Views : 6079 | Replies : 5 | Forum : Low Dose Naltrexone

MS and books - fantasy genre

Ok for something totally off normal topics!
Has anyone else noticed that Harry Potter could be a metaphor for JK Rowling's grief for her Mum and her Mum's MS? Voldemort going away, gaining strength, attacking periodically (relapses), the Dementors taking all hope from the victims. All the metaphors for magic, power, control, betrayal from things that seemed like friends etc.

And for those who've read Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast, same thing? - I'm not sure what ...
Read more : MS and books - fantasy genre | Views : 1010 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Fast Forward programme for new drugs

Translating research in the laboratory into medicines in the real world can be frustratingly slow, so the NMSS has set up this project in the hope of speeding things up:

National Multiple Sclerosis Society Launches Drug Development Initiative 28 November 2007
Fast Forward Program Will Bridge the Gap Between University Research and Drug Development, Speeding New Treatments for People With MS

The National Multiple Sclerosis Society today announced the creation of Fast Forward LLC, a ...
Read more : Fast Forward programme for new drugs | Views : 1077 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Significant changes in MS brain blood flow

From time to time, the idea of MS being a vascular disease crops up, and this study appears to show a significant correlation between blood flow, lesions and disability:

Intracranial venous haemodynamics in multiple sclerosis.
Zamboni P, Menegatti E, Bartolomei I, Galeotti R, Malagoni AM, Tacconi G, Salvi F.

Vascular Diseases Center, University of Ferrara, Ferrara, Italy. zmp@unife.it.

In multiple sclerosis (MS) plaques are known to be venocentric; in addition, ...
Read more : Significant changes in MS brain blood flow | Views : 2677 | Replies : 8 | Forum : General Discussion

The Birth of a Brain Cell: Scientists Witness Neurogenesis

Stumbled on this one while looking for something else.
For the first time, researchers have developed a way to view stem cells in the brains of living animals, including humans—a finding that allows scientists to follow the process neurogenesis (the birth of neurons).
The key ingredient in this process is a substance unique to immature cells that is neither found in mature neurons nor in glia, the brain's nonneuronal support cells.
They were able to determine the chemical ...
Read more : The Birth of a Brain Cell: Scientists Witness Neurogenesis | Views : 1082 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 226702 • Total topics 23879 • Total members 15152

Contact us | Terms of Service