It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:13 pm

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

Statins and Parkinsons

From The Guardian 15 Jan 07 a report of a smallish sample study linking low cholesterol levels (hence statins) and Parkinsons disease. Not sure what to think of this - unusual for me 8)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/frontpage/story/0,,1990648,00.html

Low cholesterol levels linked with higher risk of Parkinson's disease

Polly Curtis, health correspondent

Scientists are to investigate why people with low cholesterol levels appear to be more likely to develop Parkinson's ...
Read more : Statins and Parkinsons | Views : 3027 | Replies : 3 | Forum : Statins

Unofficial Darwin Awards

I have no idea if any of these are true but they're entertaining nonetheless. - NHE

Subject: Darwin Awards For 2006

Number One of 2006:

I am a medical student currently doing a rotation in toxicology at the poison control center. Today, this woman called in very upset because she caught her little daughter eating ants. I quickly reassured her that the ants are not harmful and there would be no need to bring her ...
Read more : Unofficial Darwin Awards | Views : 1894 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Humor

Statins and bird flu

This is from the Times on 4 October 2006: "Statins, the cholesterol-lowering drugs prescribed to two million pepole in Britain each year, could play a pivotal role in combating a flu pandemic, scientists believe. Early evidence suggests that the cheap, readily available drugs are a potential treatement for virulent influenza strains suchs as H5N1, which has killed 148 people in Asia. ... In a letter to the Times, three eminent flu researchers argue that while ...
Read more : Statins and bird flu | Views : 2628 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Statins

VERY interesting diagnosis!

BACKGROUND: My daughter's very first symptom (severe itching in her arm) occurred almost immediately after receiving a Hep. B vaccine (which was not given correctly which caused great concern for her doctor. She had the vaccine at the health department.) During my early research, I joined a Hep. B vaccine reaction website. Did it so long ago actually forgot I did!

JUMP FORWARD: A few weeks ago, a lady in her 50s contacted me via ...
Read more : VERY interesting diagnosis! | Views : 2146 | Replies : 15 | Forum : General Discussion

Synthetic Progesterone Not Neuroprotective

I’m still an advocate of “bioidentical” progesterone (not synthetic) for potential neuroprotection. Here’s some info I just found on the topic.

MPA, or Provera, is by far I think the most common form of synthetic progesterone used in the US in hormone replacement therapy preparations. It seems pretty clear that it probably does not provide neuroprotection so I wanted to post it for reference.

The Synthetic Progestin (MPA, Provera) is Not Neuroprotective

The ovarian ...
Read more : Synthetic Progesterone Not Neuroprotective | Views : 2931 | Replies : 0 | Forum : MS in the Golden Years

Stem cells in bone marrow

Monday, January 15, 2007

Study might help with cancer
UK researcher's work relates to stem cells

By Laura Ungar
lungar@courier-journal.com
The Courier-Journal

A University of Kentucky researcher has found and mapped a gene that helps determine the number of adult stem cells in bone marrow — a discovery that promises to help cancer patients in the future.

The research, which has been done only in mice, was published in an ...
Read more : Stem cells in bone marrow | Views : 900 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General Discussion

Neural stem cells help brain self-repair

This is encouraging.

Neural stem cells lend the brain a surprising capacity for self-repair

The brain contains stem cells with a surprising capacity for repair, researchers report in recent issue of the journal Cell. The novel insight into the brain’s natural ability to heal might ultimately have clinical implications for the treatment of brain damage, according to the researchers.

The researchers found that mice whose brains were severely damaged by loss of the genes “Numb” ...
Read more : Neural stem cells help brain self-repair | Views : 1231 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Stem Cells

Genetically modified hens

I think I've heard everything now..

Altered Hens Lay Eggs With Immune-Boosting Proteins (Update1)

By Demian McLean

Jan. 15 (Bloomberg) -- Genetically modified hens can make eggs containing a protein that's key to human immune systems, raising the possibility of lower-cost drugs to treat multiple sclerosis and cancer, according to a study in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

While biologists have used egg whites for at least three decades to create vaccines, ...
Read more : Genetically modified hens | Views : 880 | Replies : 2 | Forum : General Discussion

Hidden

Ok...I always wonder who that hidden person is that is reading the pots. I always check to see if broms is online when I first come on so that I know if there will at least be one positive post to read. Dwon at the bottom, were it shows you who is online, there is usually a hidden person. It's kind of creepy 8O . Who is ...
Read more : Hidden | Views : 2055 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Site Support

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 219523 • Total topics 22658 • Total members 14279

Contact us | Terms of Service