It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:09 pm

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

University of Michigan makes T Cell discovery

Another piece of the jigsaw in place..

http://www2.med.umich.edu/prmc/media/ne ... fm?ID=1272

August 31, 2009 Media contact: Anne Rueter
E-mail: arueter@umich.edu
Phone: 734-764-2220
Promising new target emerges for autoimmune diseases

Discovery that chemistry in zone between cells influences immune T-cell activity also has implications for cancer therapies
Promising new target emerges for autoimmune diseases

Meet the expert:
Ruma Banerjee, Ph.D.

University of Michigan scientists say they ...
Read more : University of Michigan makes T Cell discovery | Views : 1239 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

2 easy Qs: What MRIs are usually ordered?

1. In diagnosing, is it common to have an MRI only looking at one section (the spine, for instance) and maybe follow-up with other scans or is an MRI usually ordered over the entire brain and spine at once?

2. At what point are the scans generally useful? Do they only show lesions at a certain point in the progression such that those in the early stages won't have them? Do they only show lesions ...
Read more : 2 easy Qs: What MRIs are usually ordered? | Views : 1236 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General Discussion

Fantastic story - from wheelchair to recovery

<shortened url>

MS sufferer confounds experts by leaving wheelchair behind to run marathons

Monday, 31 August 2009

Crippled by multiple sclerosis, Debee Steel was resigned to her fate — never to walk again.

Her dreams of becoming a ballerina had been cruelly shattered when she was struck down by the disease aged just 14.

Yet even from her wheelchair, she refused to let herself be beaten.

Newtownards-based Debee adapted the punishing fitness regime from her ...
Read more : Fantastic story - from wheelchair to recovery | Views : 3228 | Replies : 17 | Forum : General Discussion

A dog's diary

Excerpts From A Dog's Dairy

8:00 am - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!
9:30 am - OH BOY! A CAR RIDE! MY FAVORITE!
9:40 am - OH BOY! A WALK! MY FAVORITE!
10:30 am - OH BOY! A CAR RIDE! MY FAVORITE!
11:30 am - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!
12:00 pm - OH BOY! THE KIDS! MY FAVORITE!
1:00 pm - OH BOY! THE YARD! MY FAVORITE!
4:00 pm - OH BOY! ...
Read more : A dog's diary | Views : 1392 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Humor

A note from Holly's sister

I received an email from Trudy, Holly's sister. She asked if I would post this note on the forum.
Dear friends of Holly,
I am Holly's oldest sister, Trudy, in California. Holly stayed with me when she went to Stanford hospital. I want you all to know that she had a great time during the last week of her life, spending it here with her best friend, Kathy. We got "out and about" during the ...
Read more : A note from Holly's sister | Views : 2697 | Replies : 11 | Forum : Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)

Levels of Anti-EBV Antibodies Could Predict MS Course

Researchers in London have identified a protein produced by the body in response to Epstein-Barr virus infection as a possible biomarker that might predict the severity of MS disease progression in patients.

It was found that patients with higher levels of the antibody experienced more aggressive disease.

Other research has shown that 100% of MS patients are infected with EBV. EBV infection is often asymptomatic, or can be mistaken for a common cold or flu, ...
Read more : Levels of Anti-EBV Antibodies Could Predict MS Course | Views : 1410 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

What to do about PPMS?

Hello everybody,
being a PPMS-sufferer I would be interested in any story about how to succesfully combat this especially nasty type of the disease. Wether novantrone, antibiotics or HiCy: If it helped, please let me know!
Thank you very, very much,
Anna from Munich, Germany
Read more : What to do about PPMS? | Views : 1633 | Replies : 2 | Forum : General Discussion

Exercise is good for us!!! UGGHHHHH

Exercise as Medicine
Physical activity lowers risk for a wide range of diseases.

August 31, 2009
E-mail Print Share Text size

In the 19th century, most work involved physical activity; in the 20th century, exercise became a leisure pursuit; today, it's an urgent medical necessity.

Exercise: It's cheap, readily available, and the single most effective step nonsmokers can take to avoid chronic and potentially fatal diseases. If it were being hawked on late-night television, you'd ...
Read more : Exercise is good for us!!! UGGHHHHH | Views : 1218 | Replies : 2 | Forum : General Discussion

Starting Avonex, question

Hi All,

I'm about to start Avonex and have a question. This is a big deal for me and I don't want to take the first shot in front of a nurse, but in privacy with my wife. Will the nurse require that I take the first shot in her presence? I'm imagining they want to monitor that patients actually take the drug...

Thanks,
Mike
Read more : Starting Avonex, question | Views : 2301 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Avonex

The Search for a Cause of MS

I just came across a short article written by Dr. T. Jock Murray, the author of Multiple Sclerosis: The History of a Disease:

The Search for a Cause of MS

I'd like to know more about the arguments behind the belief that an autoimmune irregularity is the cause of MS, especially given that this is so often taken as fact by organizations like the NMSS.

The link above states:
After World War II, the research ...
Read more : The Search for a Cause of MS | Views : 3623 | Replies : 17 | Forum : General Discussion

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 244630 • Total topics 26868 • Total members 17933

Contact us | Terms of Service