It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:22 am

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

Scaffold for stem cells

Stem cell scaffolding repairs nerves 31 January 2008

A Monash University PhD student has developed a new technique that could revolutionise stem cell treatment for Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson's disease and spinal cord injuries.

David Nisbet from Monash University's Department of Materials Engineering has used existing polymer-based biodegradable fibres, 100 times smaller than a human hair, and re-engineered them to create a unique 3-D scaffold that could potentially allow stem cells to repair damaged nerves in ...
Read more : Scaffold for stem cells | Views : 1693 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Stem Cells

Franks WalkAid log

Yesterday I got a visit from a salesman of a swiss medical device company that is going to bring WalkAid to the german market.
The company is currently making its fist experiences with WalkAid in MS and so I'm allowed to noncommittaly try WalkAid for two or three month.

My first impression when we tried to configure the device was that it does work in lifting my foot up- and outwards but it takes the ...
Read more : Franks WalkAid log | Views : 6274 | Replies : 11 | Forum : Medical Devices

I just want to pee

As I am on Rebif, I have blood work done every three months to monitor liver and thyroid functions. Once a year the Dr. throws in all the other good stuff as well - cholesterol, glucose, fructose, oil levels and PSA.

Well, in Dec. I get a call from the Dr.'s office - my PSA level is up. He refers me to a urologist for further investigation.

So Monday of this week I wake up ...
Read more : I just want to pee | Views : 2317 | Replies : 3 | Forum : Daily Life

Stem cell lines created without destroying embryo
In a bid to sidestep the ethical debate over the use of human embryos in medical research, scientists have developed a way to derive viable stem cell lines without harming the embryo.

They did so by extracting a single cell from the embryo — as in vitro fertilization clinics do when they test for genetic defects and introducing a common molecule called laminin to keep it in a stem cell, or pluripotent, state.

Subsequent development ...
Read more : Stem cell lines created without destroying embryo | Views : 1834 | Replies : 3 | Forum : Stem Cells

Accelerated Cure Project: The Cure Map

From The Cure Map:

"Known diseases are caused by one or more of only 5 root determinants:

1. Genetics (defects in, or bad combinations of, genetic information)
2. Pathogens (viruses, bacteria, prions)
3. Nutrition (imbalance in external substances the body requires)
4. Toxic Agents (chemical, electro-magnetic or nuclear radiation)
5. Trauma (physical damage)"

Is this really true? Here's from Medline Plus on Somatization Disorder:

"Somatization disorder is a chronic condition in which there are numerous ...
Read more : Accelerated Cure Project: The Cure Map | Views : 1402 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General Discussion

Bioidentical hormones and MS

A good friend and naturopathic doctor sent me info on this book-
Wondering if folks have any thoughts. ... tribID=414

Kathy Simpson, a master of science degree holder from USC, is research director of the Hormone Resource Center in southern California. She was dx with MS, but felt this was an incorrect diagnosis, and as an executive in the biotech industry, she began researching on her own using ...
Read more : Bioidentical hormones and MS | Views : 3005 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General Discussion

MS Teleconference

Did anyone listen to the teleconference last night with Dr. Dean Wingerchuk of the Neurology Department at Mayo Clinic Scottsdale.

I had signed up for it and then just plain forgot about it until this morning. I am really perturbed with myself because he was going to discuss a lot of new treatments and future treatments.

Read more : MS Teleconference | Views : 987 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

It's good to see that the Myelin Repair Foundation are pushing forward with their work. ... 9&w=464753
Read more : MRF | Views : 1820 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Stem Cells

Another day, another protein

Autoimmune Disease Cure may lie in Protein

Researchers at VIB, the Flanders Institute for Biotechnology, in connection with Ghent University and Katholieke Universiteit Leuven in Belgium, discovered a protein responsible for initiating this inflammation reaction. The protein, named MALT1, slices another protein called A20. In normal circumstances, A20 inhibits inflammation but when MALT1 is present, the inflammation reaction amplifies.

Scientists believe their findings will lead to the development of new medicines that counteract MALT1 ...
Read more : Another day, another protein | Views : 1283 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Login  •  Register

Total posts 228626 • Total topics 24189 • Total members 15481

Contact us | Terms of Service