It is currently Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:41 pm

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

My vascular (?) problems - related to MS?

Hi to all,

first of all, I have my MS diagnosis since 2004, had about 15 relapses since then, remission incomplete.

I've been reading about MS as a vascular disease and want to ask you something. This year I have noticed some strange blood spots emerging spontaneously under the skin. They are not bruises, I have not hit myself with anything. They come and go, sometimes here, sometimes there - randomly.

Some pictures:
Image ...
Read more : My vascular (?) problems - related to MS? | Views : 8932 | Replies : 16 | Forum : General Discussion

Question re: stem cell therapies-

For those who understand these therapies...
It seems to me that it would be essential to stop or slow the immune process involved in MS first, before receiving a stem cell transplant- like the StonyBrook or Canadian trials. I read about folks going to Costa Rica or Taiwan and spending thousands of dollars in the hopes of "curing" their MS, but I wonder how this could be of any help, since the B and T ...
Read more : Question re: stem cell therapies- | Views : 6505 | Replies : 19 | Forum : Stem Cells

Lipoic acid + acetyl-L-carnitine

Here's an interesting paper on lipoic acid. Although it's not MS (Parkinson's Disease), R-lipoic acid combined with acetyl-L-carnitine was found to be 100 to 1000 more effective than either alone in protecting mitochondria in a cellular Parkinson's Disease model.

Combined R-alpha-lipoic acid and acetyl-L-carnitine exerts efficient preventative effects in a cellular model of Parkinson's disease.
J Cell Mol Med. 2008 Jun 20.

Mitochondrial dysfunction and oxidative damage are highly involved in the pathogenesis of Parkinson's ...
Read more : Lipoic acid + acetyl-L-carnitine | Views : 3689 | Replies : 10 | Forum : Natural Approach

Lipoic acid inhibits Ifn-gamma in NK cells

Here's a recent paper on lipoic acid from the Oregon Health & Science University discussing a pathway which may be partly responsible for lipoic acid's beneficial effects in MS.

Lipoic acid stimulates cAMP production via the EP2 and EP4 prostanoid receptors and inhibits IFN gamma synthesis and cellular cytotoxicity in NK cells. J Neuroimmunol. 2008 Aug 13;199(1-2):46-55.

The antioxidant lipoic acid (LA) treats and prevents the animal model of multiple sclerosis (MS), experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis ...
Read more : Lipoic acid inhibits Ifn-gamma in NK cells | Views : 1464 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Natural Approach

Chia seeds

I found this interesting item in my latest issue (October 2008) of Garden Gate magazine, page 45:
Chia seeds are good for you
Researchers are discovering what the ancient Aztecs knew a long time ago. The tiny seeds of chia (Salvia hispanica) are packed with nutrition and lots of it. But don't go out and eat the stuff growing on your Chia Pet just yet. It's the seeds that contain protein, fiber, calcium, phosphorus and many ...
Read more : Chia seeds | Views : 3774 | Replies : 4 | Forum : Diet

HiCy in July 2008

I haven't heard from anybody who had the HiCy treatment in July 2008. When I was at JH in July, they were pushing many patients through the treatment. The IPOP and 4-B Ward were getting pretty busy with us HiCy patients.

If you have had the HiCy treatment, post and let everybody know how you are doing.

After the growth factor was out of my system the only thing negative after the HiCy treatment is ...
Read more : HiCy in July 2008 | Views : 2129 | Replies : 6 | Forum : Revimmune (cyclophosphamide or cytoxan)

Long term outcome of ITP and Graves

I had yet to personally read if the two major side effects discussed were long term or temporary, until I came across the following, so I thought I would store it somewhere:
http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=show&pageid=1307
He said the clinical trial so far has yielded five other cases of the bleeding disorder, called immune thrombocytopenic purpura , or ITP. All of those patients were treated and recovered.
So ITP appears to be a treatable condition?
...and two people developed ...
Read more : Long term outcome of ITP and Graves | Views : 1694 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Campath (Lemtrada, Alemtuzumab)

*waves*

Hey guys and gals! I'm Krissy, I'm 20. I would love to say I have epilepsy and MS and it doesn't have me, but I can't. They're currently kickin' my butt.

I was diagnosed about two years ago with epilepsy, and about 4 months ago with MS. My neuro put me on Rebif, I was on that for just about three months, then my LFTs were over double the amout they should be, so I ...
Read more : *waves* | Views : 1895 | Replies : 9 | Forum : Introductions

Gluten-free Diet

Hello all-

So many articles I have read have mentioned that the elimination of Wheat and Gluten in your diet can help slow down the effect of MS for futute exasterbations.

What have the rest of you heard? Is there a real MS diet that has been proven to work?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Kevin
Read more : Gluten-free Diet | Views : 5245 | Replies : 9 | Forum : Diet

Not specific to MS

Read more : Not specific to MS | Views : 1752 | Replies : 6 | Forum : General Discussion

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 233473 • Total topics 25052 • Total members 16209

Contact us | Terms of Service