It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:15 am

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

Relapsing/Remitting, what the?

Last weekend during a search of the internet I came across something that someone named "MSWillow" had written on "thisisms" a couple of years ago and it referred to relapsing being due to damage to the myelin and remitting being due to repair efforts of the body.

Today while looking through the thread "Stem Cells" I looked into a link dignan had provided and I find that a researcher evidently makes the same assumption regarding ...
Read more : Relapsing/Remitting, what the? | Views : 2920 | Replies : 15 | Forum : General Discussion

Food poisoning and days off the antibiotics

I developed food poisoning on Saturday night and the following day was too ill to consume antibiotics. On Monday evening I resumed antibiotics but then yesterday felt too ill after lunch to continue to taking them or indeed my new script for Lipitor. I wonder if I should just leave all medicine for a week or so...I'm feeling okay this morning but was very bloated yesterday evening. I guess I should swerve the antibiotics till ...
Read more : Food poisoning and days off the antibiotics | Views : 1897 | Replies : 3 | Forum : Antibiotics

Lamotrigine

Same article I posted in the general forum, but thought I should copy it here as it is a treatment in trial.

Ian

http://www.acceleratedcure.org:8080/node/2481
Read more : Lamotrigine | Views : 1467 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

Low Serum Vitamin D Linked to Multiple Sclerosis

Have we seen this article here before? I dont recall it. Apologies if it is a duplicate post.

For release: Wednesday, January 31, 2007

A new study shows that multiple sclerosis (MS) is linked to low levels of vitamin D in the blood, but it’s unclear whether vitamin D deficiency is a causal factor in the disease or whether vitamin D supplements would protect against it.

Alberto Ascherio, M.D., Dr.P.H., a professor of nutrition and ...
Read more : Low Serum Vitamin D Linked to Multiple Sclerosis | Views : 1160 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General Discussion

2 HHV6a abstracts

More evidence for a viral trigger...

Apoptotic effects of Human Herpesvirus-6A on glia and neurons as potential triggers for central nervous system autoimmunity.

J Clin Virol. 2006 Dec;37 Suppl 1:S11-6.
Gardell JL, Dazin P, Islar J, Menge T, Genain CP, Lalive PH.
Department of Neurology, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA; Neurosciences Unit, California Pacific Medical Center Research Institute, San Francisco, CA, USA.

BACKGROUND: Human Herpesvirus type 6 (HHV-6A and/or HHV-6B) has been tentatively ...
Read more : 2 HHV6a abstracts | Views : 1732 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

BBB and tysabri

Here's one for Bob...

A study of subtle blood brain barrier disruption in a placebo-controlled trial of natalizumab in relapsing remitting multiple sclerosis.

J Neurol. 2007 Feb 3;
Soon D, Altmann DR, Fernando KT, Giovannoni G, Barkhof F, Polman CH, O'connor P, Gray B, Panzara M, Miller DH.
Dept. of Neuroinflammation, Institute of Neurology, Queen Square, London, WC1N 3BG, United Kingdom, d.miller@ion.ucl.ac.uk.

Natalizumab, an anti-alpha4 integrin ...
Read more : BBB and tysabri | Views : 891 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

FDA questions new Rebif formulation

At least a slight delay...

FDA Questions on Merck's New Rebif Delay Approval

Feb. 6 (Bloomberg) -- Merck KGaA faces a delay in introducing a new formulation of Rebif, the world's second- biggest multiple sclerosis medicine, after U.S. regulators asked for more information.

``We've received questions from the FDA that require our response,'' said Benedicte Bogh, a spokeswoman at the company's Merck Serono unit in Geneva, in a telephone interview today. ``We continue to work ...
Read more : FDA questions new Rebif formulation | Views : 2265 | Replies : 7 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

IFN-gamma

Multiple Sclerosis :: Stress response prevents neurodegeneration 05 February 2007

Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a debilitating immune-mediated disease of the brain and spinal cord (the central nervous system ).
It is characterised by infiltration of the CNS by inflammatory cells and destruction of cells that reside in the CNS, known as oligodendrocytes (ODCs). The soluble factor IFN-gamma has a detrimental effect on disease in patients with MS. However, studies using the mouse model of MS, ...
Read more : IFN-gamma | Views : 1104 | Replies : 3 | Forum : General Discussion

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 220832 • Total topics 22887 • Total members 14451

Contact us | Terms of Service