It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:57 am

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

Parkinson's, MS more common than thought

U.S. survey boosts estimates of major neurological diseases
Updated: 11:10 a.m. ET Jan 30, 2007
WASHINGTON - Multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease and other neurological diseases may be far more common than most people had believed, according to the latest estimates.
Nearly one out of 1,000 Americans has multiple sclerosis or MS and one out of 100 elderly Americans has Parkinson’s disease the survey found.
“Our estimate of MS prevalence is about 50 percent higher than ...
Read more : Parkinson's, MS more common than thought | Views : 882 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

T-0047

Tanabe Resumes MS Drug Study

Japanese pharmaceutical company Tanabe Seiyaku has resumed a phase II trial of its multiple sclerosis treatment after the FDA released its clinical hold on the study.

The drug, T-0047, was placed on clinical hold by the FDA in response to the reports that progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy (PML), a rare nerve disorder, was associated with Tysabri. Tysabri is marketed by Biogen Idec and Elan Pharmaceuticals and is a monoclonal antibody ...
Read more : T-0047 | Views : 1187 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

Familial influences and MS.

Here is a link to an article I found on, "MedPage Today",

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Neurology/M ... is/tb/4953

To be honest, I think they could have saved themselves the trouble and just written, "MS is quite complicated".

Ah well. I suppose even the most fruitless research is worth doing, because the answers we need might turn up in the most unexpected places,

Dom.
Read more : Familial influences and MS. | Views : 943 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Estriol trial

Some news on a phase II trial of estriol in the US. I'm adding it to the pipeline, don't know why I hadn't done that already...

New Trial for MS Drug

January 29, 2007 - The Press-Enterprise - People living with multiple sclerosis have to use injections to help control the disease. The method is the only anti-inflammatory treatment available.

But a new clinical trial, which is seeking participants, may help women with MS get ...
Read more : Estriol trial | Views : 1680 | Replies : 3 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

More evidence on Cannabis for pain

Hopefully regulators around the world get their thumbs out and start approving cannabis in whatever form for MS-related pain.

Meta-analysis of cannabis based treatments for neuropathic and multiple sclerosis-related pain.

Curr Med Res Opin. 2007 Jan;23(1):17-24.
Iskedjian M, Bereza B, Gordon A, Piwko C, Einarson TR.
PharmIdeas Research & Consulting Inc., Oakville, ON, Canada; PharmIdeas USA Inc., Charlotte, NC, USA.

OBJECTIVE: Debilitating pain, occurring in 50-70% of multiple sclerosis (MS) patients, is poorly understood and ...
Read more : More evidence on Cannabis for pain | Views : 1985 | Replies : 12 | Forum : General Discussion

Trial progress update

They seem to be enrolling people quickly...

Opexa Achieves Midpoint in Patient Admissions in Phase IIb Trial of Tovaxin for Multiple Sclerosis

Jan 30/2007 - BUSINESS WIRE - Opexa Therapeutics announced today that it has admitted the first 75 patients in its 150-patient Phase IIb clinical trial of Tovaxin in multiple sclerosis. Enrollment is expected to be completed by mid-2007. There are currently 34 trial sites in the U.S., all of which are actively recruiting ...
Read more : Trial progress update | Views : 1606 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Tcelna (Tovaxin)

Peace Like a River - Leif Enger

I can tell after only 100 or so pages that this is one of those books that's going to make me want to be a better person. Has anyone else read this book?
Read more : Peace Like a River - Leif Enger | Views : 3269 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Reading Nook

Cochrane review of cyclophosphamide

I guess this validates cytoxan not being approved as an MS therapy.

Cyclophosphamide for multiple sclerosis.

Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2007 Jan 24;(1):CD002819.
La Mantia L, Milanese C, Mascoli N, D'Amico R, Weinstock-Guttman B.

BACKGROUND: Multiple sclerosis is a presumed cell-mediated autoimmune disease of the central nervous system. Cyclophosphamide (CFX) is a cytotoxic and immunosuppressive agent, used in systemic autoimmune diseases. Controversial results have been reported on its efficacy in MS. We conducted a systematic ...
Read more : Cochrane review of cyclophosphamide | Views : 1463 | Replies : 3 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

B cells

Edmond scientist discovers hidden antibodies in mice

A discovery by an Oklahoma Medical Research scientist has discredited the 50-year-old accepted dogma that disease fighting cells in the body carry only one protein.

Edmond’s Patrick Wilson has discovered that B cells can make a mistake when the cells bind to human tissue and change receptors. Cells changing receptors sometimes may result in a second allele (chromosome) producing a second antibody protein, he found. Wilson revealed ...
Read more : B cells | Views : 878 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General Discussion

One problem with the "golden years"...

One problem with the so-called golden years is that just as you are starting to need more help yourself, the family who might have been there to help when you were younger are now needing help themselves--and dying off.

So you find yourself becoming more and more isolated. You can't replace your family. You'll never have another, probably. When they're gone, they're gone.

All of my siblings were old enough to have been another generation. ...
Read more : One problem with the "golden years"... | Views : 3968 | Replies : 7 | Forum : MS in the Golden Years

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 220792 • Total topics 22877 • Total members 14448

Contact us | Terms of Service