It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:04 pm

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

Sphingolipids

I thought I'd posted this yesterday, but it disappeared. Article mentions Sphingolipids as an agent for neuronal growth/death:

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2007-03/ef-swt030207.php

Dom.
Read more : Sphingolipids | Views : 1300 | Replies : 6 | Forum : General Discussion

Inflammation vs. neurodegeneration

Hi,

as some of you might remember, after a serious disagreement on this board eighteen months ago, I got angry and removed all my messages. After reposting one of them few days ago, I checked them all to see if there was something else worth reposting. IMO, there was. As a member of "MS is not an autoimmune disease -camp" I'd like to share following two posts with you again.

The first post underlines the ...
Read more : Inflammation vs. neurodegeneration | Views : 47767 | Replies : 313 | Forum : General Discussion

Blood tests

I have some questions for all of you experts about my latest blood test. The idiot intern doctor left a message on my machine that everything was fine. I got a copy today because I want to bring it to my neurologist to ask about Vit D levels. One of my liver enzymes-GOT/AST-was high. Not exceedingly, but high all the same. This kind of freaked me out as I'm supposed to do my shot tonight. ...
Read more : Blood tests | Views : 1215 | Replies : 2 | Forum : General Discussion

Neuronal Damage in Brain Inflammation

Neuronal Damage in Brain Inflammation

Orhan Aktas, MD; Oliver Ullrich, MD; Carmen Infante-Duarte, PhD; Robert Nitsch, MD; Frauke Zipp, MD

Arch Neurol. 2007;64:185-189.

ABSTRACT

In contrast to traditional textbook paradigms, recent studies indicate neuronal damage in classic neuroinflammatory diseases of the brain, such as multiple sclerosis or meningitis. In these cases, immune cells invade the central nervous system compartments, accompanied by a massive breakdown of the blood-brain barrier and typical changes of the cerebrospinal fluid. ...
Read more : Neuronal Damage in Brain Inflammation | Views : 1173 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Temporary Stinging Negation - Massage

We have been on Copaxone for about 6 months. There is about 5 minutes of stinging that follows each injection. While we do clean the site with alcohol we fan it dry for more than a minute and it's not the cause of the stinging.

For Christmas we had massages.

Following the massage, NO STINGING for 2-weeks! Serioulsy. None! Now, we cannot afford to have 26 massages a year, but we tried it one more ...
Read more : Temporary Stinging Negation - Massage | Views : 1790 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Copaxone

Brain research

Another nice illustration of how much we're learning and how our understanding of the brain is evolving.

Brain works more chaotically than previously thought

March 1, 2007 - The brain appears to process information more chaotically than has long been assumed. This is demonstrated by a new study conducted by scientists at the University of Bonn. The passing on of information from neuron to neuron does not, they show, occur exclusively at the synapses, i.e. ...
Read more : Brain research | Views : 744 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Calcium ions and the brain

Interesting research that could have MS implications.

Calcium is spark of life, kiss of death for nerve cells

March 1, 2007 -- Oregon Health & Science University research shows how calcium regulates the recharging of high-frequency auditory nerve cells after they've fired a burst of signals, and it may have implications for neurological disorders.

The study by scientists at OHSU's Vollum Institute and the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, which appears in the current ...
Read more : Calcium ions and the brain | Views : 1199 | Replies : 2 | Forum : General Discussion

My possible walk for Myelin repaire Foundation

Hi
Lately I have been feeling like I need to do something in order to make it faster for these researchers to get the money they need to start pumping out the drugs. I wanted to organize a sponsored walk for the myelin Repair foundation. I have actually never done anything like that and don't really know where to start. I did email them a few days ago but have not received a reply. Tried ...
Read more : My possible walk for Myelin repaire Foundation | Views : 2144 | Replies : 8 | Forum : Daily Life

Nogo

Enabling nerve regeneration means evicting the cleanup crew

Macrophages are the immune cells that engulf and destroy the debris of damaged tissue to enable the healing process to begin. Their presence at the scene of damage is critical, but once their task is complete, it is just as critical that macrophages exit rapidly, ending the inflammatory process and making way for regrowth. In fact, the continued presence of macrophages could damage tissue, compromising repair. ...
Read more : Nogo | Views : 1171 | Replies : 4 | Forum : General Discussion

Revimmune

Accentia gets new financing, moves into MS drug market

Accentia Biopharmaceuticals Inc. said it has acquired the rights to a treatment in the late stages of development that is designed to help people with autoimmune diseases, including multiple sclerosis.

The deal calls for Accentia to pay royalties and issue stock warrants once the treatment is approved in the United States, according to a Feb. 28 filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Tampa-based Accentia ...
Read more : Revimmune | Views : 3071 | Replies : 8 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 221727 • Total topics 23020 • Total members 14544

Contact us | Terms of Service