It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:29 pm

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

Loobie's second shot update

Hello all,

I still haven't the foggiest if this is real or placebo effect. However, I have a small update that I'm trying not to get too excited about. Although I have RRMS, everything about my progression has been a bit odd. Allow me to explain:

My first symptom was ON. It was (and is) not typical. My eyesight would only get bad when I exerted myself or got heated (it doesn't take much heat). ...
Read more : Loobie's second shot update | Views : 9832 | Replies : 62 | Forum : Tcelna (Tovaxin)

why do antibiotics and immonsupressing both work?

Hi,

as far as I understand if MS is caused by CP infection the disease should get much worse if the immunesystem is being supressed - do you agree on that?

As studies show chemotherapy agents like Mitoxantron or Cyclophosphamid and steroids are effective for reducing MS severety - maybe chemotherapy could even halting progression.

How can this be if these agents are heavyly supressing the immunesystem. So that the CP infection should become worse. ...
Read more : why do antibiotics and immonsupressing both work? | Views : 8183 | Replies : 54 | Forum : Antibiotics

An icy subject

I just started my betaseron treatment about a week ago. I've taken 4 shots so far and I am much happier with it compared to avenox. My side effects are almost unnoticable. I'm a little tired, thats it. Avenox made me ill for 2 days!
So here's my question: My beta nurse suggested that I ice the injection site before and after. I did so with the 1st two shots in my legs and 1 ...
Read more : An icy subject | Views : 4332 | Replies : 5 | Forum : Betaseron

Diabetes Reversed by Neuropeptide

An article published last month in the journal Cell appears to signal a shift in the way the scientific research community will have to rethink the "auto-immune" hypothesis regarding diabetes.

This study is remarkable not only because the researchers reversed the effects of diabetes in an animal model, but that they were able to achieve this result by the addition of a neuropeptide -- substance P. It appers that dysfuncional neuro regulation in the pancreas ...
Read more : Diabetes Reversed by Neuropeptide | Views : 868 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Franks Tysabri exp., little sideeffects, no improvement

Hi,

I'm 30yo, EDSS around 2, currently 12 years with RRMS now. I live in germany and just got my 3rd Tysabri infusion.

I noticed mild sideeffects, like little headache on the infusionday and some occasional dizzynes.

I cant report any improvement so far but I'll be happy if things wont get worse.

I'll be back if things change...

--Frank

Five years time

Dear all (especially GWA),

Happy New Year.

Crystal ball stuff from a leading Canadian MS researcher (for those who don't think that there will be better treatments in the future - no need to read on or comment).

http://www.msanswers.ca/QuestionView.aspx?L=2&QID=381

Ian
Read more : Five years time | Views : 1530 | Replies : 11 | Forum : General Discussion

restless leg treatment with levodopa

I have heard a lot speak of restless leg issues. I came across this while looking into levodopa for tremor.
... The patient was treated with 500 mg prednisolone intravenously over 5 days without any clinical effect. However, a single dose of 100 mg levodopa plus benserazide led to a dramatic improvement of the restless legs syndrome. The levodopa treatment was continued and resulted in complete relief.

http://jnnp.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/66/5/688a
Read more : restless leg treatment with levodopa | Views : 801 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Long term steroid use failure

It appears to be well accepted, that steroid use provides initial benefits, but fails in the long term. I am sure I have read how patiets start off beter than the control group, but at the 10 year mark or something their progression catches up to the control group.

Is it documented anywhere exactly what action of the steroids fail in the long term?
Read more : Long term steroid use failure | Views : 1591 | Replies : 12 | Forum : General Discussion

MEG Scanners

Not MS-specific, but the technology sounds impressive.

MEG Scanners Are Mega Powerful

January 4, 2007 - Wired - Magneto-encephalography, or MEG, scanners are proving to be one of the most powerful tools in the hands of scientists using the machines to observe important details about epilepsy, brain tumors, emotions, pain perception and more.

While the technology has existed for decades, improved computing power and hardware have recently increased interest in the scanners. There are an ...
Read more : MEG Scanners | Views : 681 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

call me vain - but just wondering. .

copaxone is working for me. i get the dents though and i hate them. what i was wondering was that if anyone knew if lipoatrophy was reversible through plastic surgery? new treatments are going to be coming out in the next 5-6 years for MS and it would just be nice to think about having nice legs again. . . just wondered if anyone had even thought about this. . seems pretty silly in the ...
Read more : call me vain - but just wondering. . | Views : 6053 | Replies : 15 | Forum : Copaxone

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 220315 • Total topics 22802 • Total members 14389

Contact us | Terms of Service