It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:48 am

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

New but have been around the block

Hello all. I live in CT, USA, and was diagnosed 5/4/06 with MS. My MS has not been labelled as I only had one episode just prior to diagnosis that made me bed ridden. I haven't had any further exacerbations/episodes. My doctors and I have treated this with high dose antibiotics and vitamin supplements for 10 months now. I did use Betaseron for 1.5 months and then quit as no advantage was found - only ...
Read more : New but have been around the block | Views : 2661 | Replies : 14 | Forum : Introductions

Fingolimod?

I'm debating a couple of trials to go for. Fingolimod seems the most promising, but the Copaxone/Steroid one seems likely. Has anyone done the clinical trial with Fingolimod? I'm interested, I'm kinda scared of Respritory Infections and all that Jazz. Please get back to me, very scared, confused and just plain sick of thinking about it.

Thanks!
Read more : Fingolimod? | Views : 1119 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Stearic Acid

A group of researchers in Shanghai seems to be doing a lot of research into the neuroprotective effects of stearic acid.

Neuroprotective effects of stearic acid against toxicity of oxygen/glucose deprivation or glutamate on rat cortical or hippocampal slices.

Acta Pharmacol Sin. 2006 Feb;27(2):145-50.
Wang ZJ, Li GM, Tang WL, Yin M.
School of Pharmacy, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Shanghai 200030, China. myin@sjtu.edu.cn

AIM: To observe the effects of stearic acid, ...
Read more : Stearic Acid | Views : 1018 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Pregnancy hormones

Research is coming through thick and fast at the moment.

Ian

Pregnancy hormone key to repairing nerve cell damage 19 February 2007

New research offers hope for treatment for multiple sclerosis and other neurological disorders.

The mystery of why multiple sclerosis (MS) tends to go into remission while women are pregnant may be the secret to overcoming the devastating neurodegenerative disease, according to University of Calgary researchers who have shown that a pregnancy-related hormone ...
Read more : Pregnancy hormones | Views : 1389 | Replies : 6 | Forum : General Discussion

Promoting myelin repair

This sounds interesting, mind you, it would be much more interesting if I was a mouse...

A recombinant human IgM promotes myelin repair after a single, very low dose.

J Neurosci Res. 2007 Feb 15;
Warrington AE, Bieber AJ, Ciric B, Pease LR, Van Keulen V, Rodriguez M.
Department of Neurology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota.

A recombinant human monoclonal IgM, rHIgM22, promotes the synthesis of new ...
Read more : Promoting myelin repair | Views : 1321 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

I eliminated my post

I eliminated my post
Read more : I eliminated my post | Views : 6955 | Replies : 31 | Forum : Antibiotics

IGF-1R in Graves Disease

Possible links with MS?

Researchers Identify Factor In Pathogenesis Of Graves' Disease

Science Daily — Investigators at the Los Angeles Biomedical Research Institute at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center (LA BioMed) have found evidence that continues to implicate insulin-like growth factor receptor (IGF-1R) in the development of Graves' disease.

In previous research published in the Journal of Immunology, Terry J. Smith, M.D. and Raymond Douglas, M.D., Ph.D. have identified the interaction between immunoglobulins and IGF-1R as a ...
Read more : IGF-1R in Graves Disease | Views : 1490 | Replies : 5 | Forum : General Discussion

Nerve stuff

Getting On Your Nerves ... And Repairing Them 16 February 2007

In a study to be published in the March 2007 issue of The FASEB Journal, scientists from East Carolina University report that a key molecular mechanism, RNA interference (RNAi), plays a role in the regeneration and repair of periphery nerves, which are the nerves located outside of the brain and spinal column. This research may lead to new therapies that manipulate RNAi to ...
Read more : Nerve stuff | Views : 1022 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General Discussion

my girlfriend

My girlfriend just broke up with me after 3 years.I have spms and i was diagnosed in 2005 and it has gotten real bad. Today was the worst day ever. Today I hate my life. :( :( :(
Read more : my girlfriend | Views : 9046 | Replies : 73 | Forum : General Discussion

next reading group book

I chose to be patriotic and go with a Canadian collection of short stories:

"Home from the Vinyl Cafe", by Stuart McLean.

It seems to be available at Amazon in the US and UK, not that I'm telling you where to get your books...it might be in libraries too... You can also buy the book from the CBC website. "The Vinyl Cafe" is a weekly radio program and there are a number of story collections ...
Read more : next reading group book | Views : 3645 | Replies : 5 | Forum : Reading Nook

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 221696 • Total topics 23016 • Total members 14540

Contact us | Terms of Service