It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:46 am

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

No makjor side effects - does that change the outcome?

Hi

This might sound like a strange question but apat from the first night of really bad shivers and fever, I've had no side effects to speak of and I'm getting a bit concerned that, thats not necessarily a good thing!

Now, 3 weeks into Avonex, I hit a relapse, which Im sure was hanging around in the background anyway. Im starting steroids ltoday (when hubby gets back from the chemist!!).

When I spoke to ...
Read more : No makjor side effects - does that change the outcome? | Views : 2299 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Avonex

Secondary Progressive

It seems from my limited understanding that the Relapsing Remitting phase of MS is followed by the Secondary Progressive phase. I saw one paper which said that moving to the SP phase can range from 3 - 33 years. Whereas RR seems to be driven by inflamamtion, SP is about neuro-degeneration (with inflammation having much less of a role, although some at SP still have relapses). The following article from Japanese researchers suggests how the ...
Read more : Secondary Progressive | Views : 1089 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General Discussion

Clinical trials in MS

List from NMSS

The list looks very impressive, although the CRABs still appear too often for my liking. They, to me, represent the Model T Fords - they've had their day and now we want somthing akin to a Formula 1 racing car.

Interesting that Bone Marrow Transplanation studies appear to be on the rise, as do trials of some of the heavy duty chemo drugs. Surely, some on the list will deliver! (fingers crossed) ...
Read more : Clinical trials in MS | Views : 1140 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

Common cold

Study tests whether virus triggers MS

The common cold — inconvenient and annoying but generally considered benign — may cause attacks of multiple sclerosis. And it may provide a clue about what causes MS in the first place.

That's the premise of a study being launched at the University of Utah School of Medicine, which is seeking help from local MS patients. Several thousand Utahns are estimated to have the disease.

Researchers have previously ...
Read more : Common cold | Views : 1485 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

More research/ Tysabri

Central nervous system beckons attack in MS-like disease

It may sound like a case of blame the victim, but researchers at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis have shown that cells in the central nervous system can sometimes send out signals that invite hostile immune system attacks. In mice the researchers studied, this invitation resulted in damage to the protective covering of nerves, causing a disease resembling multiple sclerosis.

"It's been clear ...
Read more : More research/ Tysabri | Views : 1062 | Replies : 3 | Forum : General Discussion

Autoimmune Disease List

:o
Read more : Autoimmune Disease List | Views : 1087 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Quality of Life Burden

Major New Study Demonstrates the Economic and Quality of Life Burden of Multiple Sclerosis
Thursday June 8, 5:00 am ET

STOCKHOLM, Sweden--(BUSINESS WIRE)--June 8, 2006--Findings from the largest ever study on the effects of Multiple Sclerosis (MS) indicate that as the disease progresses, it results in a growing and significant burden on patients, families, national healthcare systems and society at large. The average MS patient loses the equivalent of 3-4 months of full quality of ...
Read more : Quality of Life Burden | Views : 1057 | Replies : 2 | Forum : General Discussion

ENS Conference

The European Neurology Society held a conference last week. Here is a summary. It's good news that MRI imaging is improving which should lead to a better understanding of MS and better ways of monitoring the effect of treatments. Good to see that:

“A central aspect of the treatment of MS will be, on the one hand, control over the inflammatory component and, on the other hand, over the repair mechanisms and neuroprotection, meaning supporting ...
Read more : ENS Conference | Views : 893 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 216417 • Total topics 22112 • Total members 13902