It is currently Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:56 pm

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

The etiopathogenesis of autoimmunity

Not recent, but interesting.

Semin Liver Dis. 2005 Aug;25(3):239-50.Click here to read Links
The etiopathogenesis of autoimmunity.
Mackay IR.

Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, Monash University, Clayton, Victoria, Australia. ian.mackay@med.monash.edu.au

Acquisition by mammals of an adaptive immune system was an evolutionary leap, but occurred at the cost of autoimmunity. The necessity for self-recognition was appreciated in 1900, but autoimmune disease did not become a clinical reality until the ...
Read more : The etiopathogenesis of autoimmunity | Views : 1145 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

lyme

robbie
dud you ever get tested for lyme besides the ELISHA TEST
do your arms hurt
shell
Read more : lyme | Views : 2505 | Replies : 8 | Forum : Antibiotics

Stem cell trial

Dear all,

This should be posted in the stem cell forum, but it's a good news story and worth sticking in the general discussion forum. I posted an article before on this trial, but the BBC now has an article which provides more information. It's good news because Prof Scolding is one of our best MS researchers with a particular interest in stem cells. Actually starting a trial like this is a big step forward ...
Read more : Stem cell trial | Views : 1376 | Replies : 2 | Forum : General Discussion

Easy Fatigue after Spinal Tap?

I'm a 20 year old guy who is(was?) also an athlete. Recently after a bout with optic neuritis after MRIs and such I was given a spinal tap, the results of which came out fine. After a week being layed up with the positional headache I started to out and try to do my thing, which is running. I noticed I couldn't go as far or as fast as before my tap but I wrote ...
Read more : Easy Fatigue after Spinal Tap? | Views : 2493 | Replies : 12 | Forum : General Discussion

Phase III trials start

Genzyme and Bayer Schering Pharma AG, Germany Announce Start of Phase 3 Program with Alemtuzumab for Treatment of Multiple Sclerosis 26 September 2007

Genzyme Corporation and Bayer Schering Pharma AG, Germany today announced that the first patient has been treated in the first of two planned Phase 3 trials examining the safety and efficacy of alemtuzumab for the treatment of multiple sclerosis (MS).

The CARE-MS I trial (Comparison of Alemtuzumab and Rebif Efficacy in ...
Read more : Phase III trials start | Views : 2583 | Replies : 5 | Forum : Campath (Lemtrada, Alemtuzumab)

PUT YOURSELF UP HERE

Read more : PUT YOURSELF UP HERE | Views : 7408 | Replies : 16 | Forum : Revimmune (cyclophosphamide or cytoxan)

Lyme disease bacterium resembles myelin

I thought it was reasonably interesting to discover that this bacterial antigen is so similar to myelin that it can trigger an autoimmune response if you become infected with it. However, it becomes a bit more interesting when you realise that this bacterium, Borrelia burgdorferi, is the agent which causes Lyme disease.

Hypothesized role of galactocerebroside and NKT cells in the etiology of multiple sclerosis.

Med Hypotheses. 2007 Sep 20;

Authors: Blewett MM

According to ...
Read more : Lyme disease bacterium resembles myelin | Views : 2472 | Replies : 4 | Forum : General Discussion

still not sure if herx or not

you know i've been whinning so much i've forgotten to tell the cool stuff
i have no pain below my bellybtton
no spasms in legs no cramps in legs when i tell them to move on the bed they do
no bladder issues
my head is getting clearer,i remember my pin numbers on my cards
taking a week off abx the pain in my ribs, arms and hands is unbelivable
so a couple steps forward ...
Read more : still not sure if herx or not | Views : 2880 | Replies : 13 | Forum : Antibiotics

New presentation hosted by DIRECT-MS on October 3, 2007

DIRECT-MS is pleased to announce another lecture entitled The Paleo Diet For Multiple Sclerosis and other Autoimmune Diseases. The presentation is by Dr. Loren Cordain and will take place on October 03, 2007 in Calgary at the Best Western Village Park Inn (1804 Crowchild Trail NW) at 7 PM.

Dr Cordain of Colorado State University will explain how returning to a diet based on lean meats, seafood, fruits and vegetables can prevent and help treat ...
Read more : New presentation hosted by DIRECT-MS on October 3, 2007 | Views : 1405 | Replies : 2 | Forum : General Discussion

Understanding cancer process may benefit MS

This may be of interest to Wesley because, although the focus is primarily on cancer, the flip side of the same process seems to have implications for MS. Tryptophan has also been discussed on this forum, (I'm sure somebody said Turkey is a good source):

wfrommer@stanford.edu
650-325-1521 x208
Carnegie Institution

Scientists discover how cancer may take hold
Stanford, CA-- A team, led by researchers at the Carnegie ...
Read more : Understanding cancer process may benefit MS | Views : 1095 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General Discussion

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 227154 • Total topics 23953 • Total members 15298

Contact us | Terms of Service