It is currently Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:36 am

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

New to site and seeking info

Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:45 am Post subject: new - seeking info

I am 39, diagnosed in 2000. I have not taken any drugs, although Rebif was advised. There was not enough data at the time and it was a crap shoot or leap of faith I wasn't prepared to take. I don't know that my choices have been good or not by not having gone on any drugs? Who knows! I ...
Read more : New to site and seeking info | Views : 2537 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Low Dose Naltrexone

New Preclinical Data Suggests FTY720 May Repair or Reduce Damage Caused by Multiple Sclerosis Through a Direct Effect in the Brain

· Potential beneficial impact on central nervous system in addition to well established action on immune cells

· Recruitment complete for two of three pivotal Phase III trials; recruitment for third study is ongoing and on track

· MS most common neurological disorder in young adults, affecting more than an estimated 2.5 million people ...
Read more : FTY720 | Views : 3511 | Replies : 12 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

Cigarette Smoking May Accelerate Disability In Those With MS

Cigarette Smoking May Accelerate Disability In Those With MS

Science Daily — Persons with multiple sclerosis who smoke risk increasing the amount of brain tissue shrinkage, a consequence of MS, and the subsequent severity of their disease, new research conducted at the Buffalo Neuroimaging Analysis Center (BNAC) at the University at Buffalo has shown.

Read more : Cigarette Smoking May Accelerate Disability In Those With MS | Views : 1136 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Early Research Into A Treatment For Progressive MS

Thought I'd posted this before, but can't see it now...

Main Category: Multiple Sclerosis News
Article Date: 01 Oct 2007 - 4:00 PDT

email to a friend printer friendly view / write opinions rate article newsletters

Visitor Ratings:
Healthcare Professional:
General Public:

>> rate this article

Scientists in Scotland may be on the way to discovering the cause of long term disability in people with multiple sclerosis (MS).

New research carried out at the University ...
Read more : Early Research Into A Treatment For Progressive MS | Views : 1968 | Replies : 9 | Forum : General Discussion

LDN study abstract from ECTRIMS

No mention of efficacy yet, but at least they're talking about an LDN trial at a major MS conference!

Pilot multicentric study of low dose naltrexone in primary progressive multiple sclerosis

M. Gironi, F. Martinelli Boneschi, C. Solaro, R. Cavarretta, M. Zaffaroni, L. Moiola, S. Bucello, M. Radaelli, V. Pilato, M. Rodegher, M. Cursi, V. Martinelli, R. Nemni, G. Comi, P. Sacerdote, G. Martino (Milan, Genoa, Gallarate, I)

Preliminary evidence have documented an interesting symptomatic ...
Read more : LDN study abstract from ECTRIMS | Views : 2488 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Low Dose Naltrexone

Plasma exchange and disability ECTRIMS abstract

These results blow me away. This is the part I'm referring to:

Improvement in disability with PE occurred in 217 of the 271 pts (p < 0.0001). Ten percent of the pts improved by 2.5 steps on EDSS, 25% by 1.5, 50% by one and the rest less than one. This improvement was well sustained at 6-year follow up (p < 0.001) and stabilized during the years 7 to 9. From years 10-25, the pts ...
Read more : Plasma exchange and disability ECTRIMS abstract | Views : 4977 | Replies : 16 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

Potassium channel modulator at ECTRIMS

I include this preclinical abstract because the substance being tested is a voltage-gated potassium channel modulator. I think this strategy could be promising to provide neuroprotection, and this is the first oral drug I've seen in the preclinical stage that goes after Kv1.3 (1.3 is the channel of interest for MS).

BNC-245 – a novel compound for multiple sclerosis treatment

E. Andriambeloson, S. Wagner, L. Gorj, J. Bindler, J. Mould, B. Flynn (Illkirch, F; Adelaide, ...
Read more : Potassium channel modulator at ECTRIMS | Views : 1942 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

Rituxan results from ECTRIMS

Looks like rituxan is pretty good at reducing lesions, but then so is high-dose interferon, but it's effect on relapses isn't quite as impressive. I guess I'm more hopeful about rituxan as a treatment for PPMS anyway, so relapses won't matter in that trial.

Safety and efficacy of rituximab in adults with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis: results of a phase II placebo-controlled, multicentre trial through 48 weeks

E. Waubant, S. Hauser, D.L. Arnold, T. Vollmer, J.P. ...
Read more : Rituxan results from ECTRIMS | Views : 8770 | Replies : 32 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

AHSCT status report from ECTRIMS

The notable part of this for me is that the author describes the ASTIMS trial as a phase 2, not a phase 3 as the site lists it. There have been other reviews in Pubmed that describe it as a phase 3 I think so I won't change the list.

Present status of HSCT in MS

G.L. Mancardi (Genoa, I)

In the last years, intensive immunosuppression followed by autologous transplantation of hematopoietic stem cells ...
Read more : AHSCT status report from ECTRIMS | Views : 1103 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

Treosufan study results from ECTRIMS

Sorry for stealing your thunder Bromley. I wish they could have run the study long enough to use progression as an endpoint instead of relapses, considering this is a study for secondary progressive. Still it's good to see studies targeting progressive MS.

Treatment of active secondary progressive Multiple sclerosis with treosulfan

H. Wiendl, B.C. Kieseier, R. Weissert, H.-P. Hartung, A. Melms, W. Kueker, M. Weller (Wurzburg, Dusseldorf, Tubingen, D; Oxford, UK)

Objective: Safety and efficacy ...
Read more : Treosufan study results from ECTRIMS | Views : 1396 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

Login  •  Register

Total posts 227637 • Total topics 24032 • Total members 15394

Contact us | Terms of Service