It is currently Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:39 pm

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

How bacteria can get into the nervous system

Here's an interesting discovery about a possible way for bacteria to enter the CSF, which doesn't require the presence of blood brain barrier leakage:

Bacterial toxins and Multiple Sclerosis.

J Neurol Sci. 2007 Aug 17;

Authors: Gay F

The primary pathogenetic mechanism responsible for the distinctive demyelinating lesions in the Central Nervous System (CNS) in Multiple Sclerosis (MS), first described in remarkable detail by Charcot more than 170 years ago, remains one of the most ...
Read more : How bacteria can get into the nervous system | Views : 1598 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Futures in Biotech

Here's a link to a bunch of very interesting podcasts / audio files wherein a number of experts are interviewed about their work in biotech, genomics, proteomics, brain science, systems biology, synthetic biology and even multiple sclerosis!

http://www.twit.tv/FIB
Read more : Futures in Biotech | Views : 978 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Immune and nervous system cells talk to each other

Signalling between cells is vital for correct functioning, but I didn't realise that the immune system and nervous system talked to each other quite so much:

Trends Immunol. 2007 Aug 3;
Franco R, Pacheco R, Lluis C, Ahern GP, O''connell PJ
Discuss | category: Immunology

Initially, the idea that neurotransmitters could serve as immunomodulators emerged with the discovery that their release and diffusion from nervous tissue could lead to signaling through lymphocyte cell-surface receptors and ...
Read more : Immune and nervous system cells talk to each other | Views : 1171 | Replies : 2 | Forum : General Discussion

Switching meds...

Hi,

I was on Rebif until last week and will be changing to a new medication next week. For those that have switched meds do you start out at low dosage again? Also do you feel the same initial pain as you did when you began your first treatment?

I'm worried that I was finally feel good on Rebif, but had to switch due to allergic reaction. Will I suffer in the begining again as ...
Read more : Switching meds... | Views : 1099 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General Discussion

Growing neurons for experiments

I think we're all pretty disillusioned by the failure of animal models to provide an accurate experimental analogue of human MS. Hopefully this new development will provide a better tool for understanding the disease, as well as more relevant test results.

Main Category: Neurology / Neuroscience News
Article Date: 20 Aug 2007 - 13:00 PDT
Scientists with the Institute of Stem Cell Biology and Medicine at UCLA were able to produce from human embryonic stem ...
Read more : Growing neurons for experiments | Views : 1301 | Replies : 7 | Forum : General Discussion

Changing jobs - insurance concerns

I just received a job offer that i think i am going to accept. Can anyone walk me through the proper steps to ensure that i dont lapse my coverage? just a little nervous.
Read more : Changing jobs - insurance concerns | Views : 1491 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General Discussion

a long story

hi
i've pm a couple of people so some know my situation
my doctors say the only thing left for me is chemo,i refuse to believe that
i have struggled with UTI since jan on wed july 11 i went to the hopital with horrific body spasms and vomitting they took blood and sent me home the hopital called me back on fri and strongly suggested i go back so i did but by this ...
Read more : a long story | Views : 1763 | Replies : 3 | Forum : Antibiotics

Daclizumab trial results

Not sure of the status of this trial (says Phase II). Small number of patients, but promising results for those where interferon not doing the job.

Daclizumab phase II trial in relapsing and remitting multiple sclerosis
MRI and clinical results

Objective: Daclizumab is an interleukin 2 receptor chain specific humanised monoclonal antibody that has shown promising therapeutic effects in multiple sclerosis (MS). Daclizumab treatment in patients with relapsing and remitting MS was administered to ...
Read more : Daclizumab trial results | Views : 1263 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

The therapeutic plasticity of neural stem/precursor

This excerpt is off track from the general gist of the article but I thought it was interesting that they specifically enter into the inflammation healing/hurting effect Cure and I had discussed/debated earlier. Additionally, the talk a little about plasticity, which if my flavor of the month right now.
Bob

Journal of the Neurological Sciences xx (2007) xxx–xxx

The therapeutic plasticity of neural stem/precursor
cells in multiple sclerosis
Stefano Pluchino ⁎, Gianvito Martino
Neuroimmunology Unit-DIBIT ...
Read more : The therapeutic plasticity of neural stem/precursor | Views : 1007 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Has anyone changed from Rebif to one of the ABC's?

Hi, I have been on Rebif for 2 months after being diagnosed with RRMS. I was told I am allergic to Rebif and need to try a new med. Can anyone tell me what differences they have found from Rebif to one of the other's?

Thanks,

Samantha
Read more : Has anyone changed from Rebif to one of the ABC's? | Views : 1700 | Replies : 4 | Forum : General Discussion

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 226632 • Total topics 23872 • Total members 15144

Contact us | Terms of Service