It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:02 am

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

Sativex

The makers of Sativex are seeking the treatment to be licenced in the UK and Europe. It has been licenced in Canada for some time. Has anyone from Canada had any experience of this treatment?

Ian

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5319786.stm
Read more : Sativex | Views : 1037 | Replies : 3 | Forum : General Discussion

Another bloody stem cell story

What depresses me about the Dutch stem cell treatment fiasco, is not that the treatment didn't work, but that you get to see what this vile disease does to people. My heart goes out to the woman in this story.

Ian

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hamp ... 312320.stm
Read more : Another bloody stem cell story | Views : 1510 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Stem Cells

p53

I'm noticing a lot of research abstracts mentioning p53 lately. I don't have a clue what it is, but if you look through old posts at ThisIsMS, you'll see some threads from OddDuck and BioDocFL talking a bit about it. I also just saw this abstract from last year from Vanderbilt and one of the oft-referenced researchers around here, Sriram.

Defective ATM-p53-mediated apoptotic pathway in multiple sclerosis.

Ann Neurol. 2005 Oct;58(4):577-84.
Deng X, Ljunggren-Rose A, ...
Read more : p53 | Views : 1273 | Replies : 3 | Forum : General Discussion

More on EBV

We haven't had nearly enough posts on EBV in the last couple of weeks. I hope this article hasn't already been posted.

Epstein-Barr virus may increase risk of multiple sclerosis

Researchers have found that patients with multiple sclerosis carry a population of immune cells that overreact to Epstein-Barr virus.
The virus, which causes mononucleosis and may contribute to some cancers, has long been suspected to play a role in multiple sclerosis. However, the mechanism linking ...
Read more : More on EBV | Views : 1043 | Replies : 3 | Forum : General Discussion

CHR-1103

Dear all,

A bit more news on CHR 1103 - it's in pre-clinical but has put together an impressive advisroy board.

Ian

Chromos announces independent Multiple Sclerosis Advisory Board

Chromos Molecular Systems Inc. has formed a Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Advisory Board to guide the Company's development of a promising novel treatment for MS. Comprised of nationally and internationally recognised physicians, clinicians and scientists in the MS field, the MS Advisory Board will serve as ...
Read more : CHR-1103 | Views : 1243 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

New animal model

A Beautiful New Model For MS
05 Sep 2006

Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a disease that affects the cells of the brain and spinal cord. MS can cause various symptoms, including depression, pain, and impaired mobility. Although it is clear that MS is caused by cells of the immune system inappropriately attacking the cells of the brain and spinal cord, much remains unknown about the disease. For example, what triggers the immune cells to attack; ...
Read more : New animal model | Views : 1639 | Replies : 4 | Forum : General Discussion

TENS machine

Hello out there fellow MSers! Has anyone heard of or tried using a TENS machine to rebuild a muscle or muscle group? The central nervous system is affected, often the peripheral nerves are preserved. A Tens machine should function and help build muscle strength it seems. I am thinking of trying it. So, your experience would be greatly appreciated, thanks. Carolew :?
Read more : TENS machine | Views : 7769 | Replies : 19 | Forum : General Discussion

Statins etc

The UK MS Society provides information on leading UK MS researchers. Attached is the current profile on their website, which is of interest because it mentions statins and also his view that combo treatments are probably the way forward. Although for the life of me I can't imagine anything more boring than studying the blood brain barrier for 16 years (more than some 'life sentences' for murder!). I bet he has some riveting conversations over ...
Read more : Statins etc | Views : 829 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General Discussion

Neuroprotectants 2005-2020

Drugs from Astrazeneca/Renovis and Sanofi-Aventis Have the Potential to Revolutionize the Treatment of Several Neurologic Indications

Tuesday September 5, 8:00 am ET

New Drug Launches Will Propel Neuroprotectant Sales to Nearly $3 Billion in 2020, According to a New Report from Decision Resources

WALTHAM, Mass., Sept. 5 /PRNewswire/ -- Decision Resources, Inc., one of the world's leading research and advisory firms for pharmaceutical and healthcare issues, finds that neuroprotectants, including drugs from AstraZeneca/Renovis and Sanofi-Aventis, ...
Read more : Neuroprotectants 2005-2020 | Views : 1122 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 218644 • Total topics 22528 • Total members 14175