It is currently Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:52 pm

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

lets move South

Hi All,
If Northern latitudes contribute to MS and Equatorial climes have virtually no MS, what happens when someone with MS moves South? There must be research dealing with this question. My question is a bit self serving, I just spent 10 days near Belize, it was very hot and humid and I have not felt better in 2 years. I literally had a pre-MS life for 10 days. I'm back and so are my ...
Read more : lets move South | Views : 6700 | Replies : 48 | Forum : General Discussion

at the rock show...

so i went to a crazy loud all ages rock show last night and i think i was easily twice as old as some of those kids hehe! it was only $12 and a tiny crowd which i could not figure out because they are about to tour europe and such??!!

but for the first time since dx, i let go and jumped around almost like i used to (a little cautious on the landings), ...
Read more : at the rock show... | Views : 2062 | Replies : 7 | Forum : Daily Life

Harvard researchers find how to turn on brain stem cells

I, for one, welcome our new mice overlords.

http://www.bizjournals.com/masshightech ... ily60.html

Harvard Medical School scientists have discovered molecules in the brain that can turn stem cells into neurons and repair damaged tissue, which could lead to new treatments for such conditions as Alzheimer's disease and spinal cord injuries.

The research behind the discovery was done at Harvard's Schepens Eye Research Institute, where scientists found that stem cells are ubiquitous ...
Read more : Harvard researchers find how to turn on brain stem cells | Views : 1899 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Stem Cells

milestones....

Our 24th wedding anniversary June 9th. From college newlyweds to adults.

I'm proud of us. This last year has been the most challenging yet.

thanks for letting me share it with y'all-
AC
Read more : milestones.... | Views : 1644 | Replies : 4 | Forum : Daily Life

Sonic hedgehoc, (No really!),wakes up stem cells

I'm not sure if this has been covered elsewhere, but I find this story remarkably encouraging: the whole concept of triggering our brains' own repair mechanisms overcomes so many of the hurdles facing other therapies that it sounds like a dream come true…
Public release date: 6-Jun-2008

pjacobs12@comcast.net
617-864-2712
Schepens Eye ...
Read more : Sonic hedgehoc, (No really!),wakes up stem cells | Views : 1729 | Replies : 8 | Forum : General Discussion

Copaxone--Mechanism of Neuroprotection

Hi again

This is old news but I thought I'd post it anyway.

T cell independent mechanism for copolymer-1-induced neuroprotection
Despite active investigation of copolymer-1 (Cop-1) for nearly 40 years the mechanisms underlying its neuroprotective properties remain contentious. Nonetheless, current dogma for Cop-1 neuroprotective activities in autoimmune and neurodegenerative diseases include bystander suppression of autoimmune T cells and attenuation of microglial responses. In this report, we demonstrate that Cop-1 interacts directly with primary human ...
Read more : Copaxone--Mechanism of Neuroprotection | Views : 1718 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Copaxone

Type I interferon target revealed

Nature Reviews Immunology 8, 402 (June 2008) | doi:10.1038/nri2339

Sarah Allan
AutoimmunityType I interferon target revealed

Treatment with interferon-beta (IFNbeta) reduces disease exacerbation in many patients with multiple sclerosis, but how this cytokine inhibits autoimmune inflammation in the central nervous system (CNS) is largely unknown. Now, Prinz, Kalinke and colleagues have revealed that the effect of type I IFNs on myeloid cells is crucial to the protective effect of this cytokine in the relevant animal ...
Read more : Type I interferon target revealed | Views : 1364 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

Pilot Study: Naturopathic Medicine for MS

Hi all

Here's a link to an article (pdf) that may be of interest to some.
A Randomized Pilot Study of Naturopathic Medicine in Multiple Sclerosis

Conclusions: Naturopathic medicine combined with usual care for MS showed a trend in improvement in the General Health subscale of the SF-36, Timed Walk, and neurologic impairment. Evaluation of naturopathic medicine, as a multimodality regimen, warrants further investigation.

Now if we could just convince them to add normal ...
Read more : Pilot Study: Naturopathic Medicine for MS | Views : 1796 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Natural Approach

How do you tell your co-workers? Or do you?

Hello, I am new here. Diagnoised Feb, 07. Definately not enjoying this monster. I have went from extremely active to having a hard time walking. I am really struggling with telling people about this disease. I work with mostly men and I dont want them to treat me like I am sick, however it is becoming noticeable. Does any one have advise?
Read more : How do you tell your co-workers? Or do you? | Views : 4421 | Replies : 31 | Forum : General Discussion

Novartis says FTY720 trial continues despite death

Novartis says FTY720 trial continues despite death

By Sam Cage

ZURICH, June 5 (Reuters) - Novartis AG (NOVN.VX: Quote, Profile, Research) said two patients taking its multiple sclerosis drug FTY720 in clinical trials had problems with infections and one died, but the role of the medicine in the cases was unclear.

Independent experts recommended that clinical trials with the drug -- which unusually for an MS medicine is taken orally -- should continue as planned, ...
Read more : Novartis says FTY720 trial continues despite death | Views : 2532 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 233856 • Total topics 25116 • Total members 16297

Contact us | Terms of Service