It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:17 pm

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

Comparing Medical Doctors in the UK and the US..........

...................with special reference to one in particular.

It occurred to me, with reference to this thread: http://thisisms.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1409&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15 (this brings you to page 2) that most people using this forum are going to be more familiar with the American certification of medical doctors and won't necessarily know much about the English one. This could inadvertently lead to some misunderstandings.

The English equivalent of an MD is MB ChB (bachelor of medicine, bachelor of chirurgery ). This ...
Read more : Comparing Medical Doctors in the UK and the US.......... | Views : 735 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Allon Therapeutics

They say they plan to initiate phase II trials in 2006, and that there will be multiple trials, so I hope they include MS...

Allon Therapeutics Presents CSF and Bioavailability Data at IBC's TIDES 2006

CCNMatthews - May 2, 2006 - Allon Therapeutics Inc. has presented a case study during IBC's "TIDES 2006: Oligonucleotide and Peptide Technology and Product Development" in Carlsbad, California.

This pre-clinical study confirmed that Allon's drug candidates penetrate the blood brain ...
Read more : Allon Therapeutics | Views : 1079 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

Blockbusters

They are talking about "blockbusters" for MS over the next 10 years. I think that means a drug with over US$ 1 billion in annual revenues. They may be right that there aren't any on the horizon for MS, but I don't think it's correct that there won't be any new drugs in the next 10 years which are far more effective than anything we have today, including Tysabri.

FDA's Likely Approval to Relaunch Tysabri, ...
Read more : Blockbusters | Views : 1659 | Replies : 5 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

Epstein-Barr Virus Might Kick-Start MS

Here's another article outlining EBVs possible influence on MS. With an illustration!

May 01, 2006
Epstein-Barr Virus Might Kick-Start Multiple Sclerosis

Researchers have found that patients with multiple sclerosis (MS) carry a population of immune cells that overreact to Epstein-Barr virus. The virus, which causes mononucleosis and may contribute to some cancers, has long been suspected to play a role in MS. However, the mechanism linking the virus to the disease was poorly understood.

Scientists ...
Read more : Epstein-Barr Virus Might Kick-Start MS | Views : 4389 | Replies : 16 | Forum : General Discussion

Benign

The term benign MS has always concerned me - if it was so benign then why would someone go to the doctor in the first place?

Physical disability for a young adult would always be difficult to cope with, but what really annoys me with this disease is the added bonus (risk of) of cognitive dysfunction. It's like - design your worse nightmare of a disease and then throw in something even worse on top. ...
Read more : Benign | Views : 962 | Replies : 2 | Forum : General Discussion

New treatments

Came across this list of treatments - probably a bit out of date but a good summary.

Ian

http://msrrtc.washington.edu/resources/NewMSDrugs.asp
Read more : New treatments | Views : 1596 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

Tysabri approved in EU

Just something i stumbled across this morning

The EU's CHMP has recommended approval of Elan and Biogen Idec's Tysabri (natalizumab), as a monotherapy for multiple sclerosis.

The product, which was launched in the US in late 2004 and voluntarily suspended two months later, has been given the go-ahead in the EU for use to delay the progression of disability and reduce the frequency of relapses in patients with high disease activity despite treatment with a ...
Read more : Tysabri approved in EU | Views : 1426 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Tysabri (Antegren or Natalizumab)

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 216422 • Total topics 22112 • Total members 13903