It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:47 am

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

Vitamin D once again in the spot light

Bottled sunshine: The value of vitamin D
Why does flu break out as the nights draw in? Scientists have seen the light - we don't get enough of it.
By Jeremy Laurance
Published: 13 September 2006
Every winter, as the nights draw in and the weather grows cold, people start to cough, sniffle and run a fever. Patients crowd doctors' surgeries and sales of painkillers, hot lemon drinks and cough syrup soar. Flu is back. ...
Read more : Vitamin D once again in the spot light | Views : 901 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

HHV-6 and anti-viral compounds

HHV-6 hasn't come up for a while, but it's interesting that they are testing anti-viral compounds against HHV-6. It isn't MS-specific right now, but they mention MS.

Efficacy of antiviral compounds in human herpesvirus-6-infected glial cells.

J Neurovirol. 2006 Aug;12(4):284-93.
Akhyani N, Fotheringham J, Yao K, Rashti F, Jacobson S.
Viral Immunology Section, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA.

The beta-herpesvirus human herpesvirus-6 (HHV-6) is becoming increasingly ...
Read more : HHV-6 and anti-viral compounds | Views : 938 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Stem Cell Therapeutics

I think EPO is on the list.

Ian

Stem Cell Therapeutics Options Schizophrenia and Multiple Sclerosis Clinical Programs

Stem Cell Therapeutics Corp. (SCT), a Canadian biotechnology company engaged in treating central nervous system (CNS) disorders by stimulating endogenous neural stem cells, is pleased to announce that it has entered into an Option to Acquire agreement for up to two additional clinical stage programs, one in schizophrenia and the other in multiple sclerosis. The agreement ...
Read more : Stem Cell Therapeutics | Views : 982 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

Transition Therapeutics

Dignan,

Came across this company who have an MS drug in trial (seems to improve effectiveness of interferons). You may want to add it to your list.

Ian

http://www.transitiontherapeutics.com/technology/ms.php
Read more : Transition Therapeutics | Views : 1058 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

Tovaxin and method?

I have seen the video of the theory of how this works. The one thing that is not clear, is how they identify the cells that attack myelin? Do they use myelin from the patient? any old myelin laying round the lab? or what? or is this their little secret.
Read more : Tovaxin and method? | Views : 1316 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Autoreactive T-Cell Generation (hypothesis)

Although, not MS specific, and I am reading into it things the hypothesis isnt aiming for...

... results in too few T cells, and the body tries to correct this by inducing a vigorous expansion of the remaining T cells, creating a more autoreactive population.

http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/20040315203720data_trunc_sys.shtml

I read this as another theory of how our immune cells become auto-reactive.
Read more : Autoreactive T-Cell Generation (hypothesis) | Views : 2041 | Replies : 9 | Forum : General Discussion

Hormones

They believe they should be able to rebuild the immune system of patients who are receiving transplants so donor material is not rejected.

http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/20050710220541data_trunc_sys.shtml

Now the story is not particular to MS, but it would seem to me, that if you could rebuild an immune system not to attack a transplanted organ, avoiding attacks on myelin shouldn't be that much harder.
Read more : Hormones | Views : 944 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

VERY URGENT - NHS postcode Lotteries

Please can anyone help with the request below?

If so please can you ring the MSRC Office as soon as possible on 01206 505444 or 0800 783 0518 so that we can put you in touch with journalist, as as you will see time is of the essence. squiffs

I'm a disabled freelance journalist. I sometimes write for the BBC's Ouch website, but at the moment my day job is as a producer of podcasts ...
Read more : VERY URGENT - NHS postcode Lotteries | Views : 1202 | Replies : 2 | Forum : General Discussion

MS Research and stem cells

Last week the MS Trust (UK charity) held a seminar on the future of MS research and stem cells.

Here is what was said.

Ian

PS For some reason Prof Scolding's presentation did not get recorded, which is a shame as he was hoping to start human trials with stem cells within the next 12-18 months.

http://www.mstrust.org.uk/information/stemcells.jsp
Read more : MS Research and stem cells | Views : 799 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

New from Dayton, Ohio

Hello All,

I'm Lew Chapman from Dayton, Ohio. I am a 40 year old, white male that has had MS for 5 years now. I'm very high functioning in that none of my symptoms affect my motor ability now. I have horrible Optic Neuritis, bladder and bowel issues and lots of tingling and numbness. The only thing that approaches debilitating is when my bladder makes me pee every ten minutes. And truthfully I would call ...
Read more : New from Dayton, Ohio | Views : 1607 | Replies : 5 | Forum : Introductions

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 219985 • Total topics 22745 • Total members 14350

Contact us | Terms of Service