It is currently Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:34 pm

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

Future of MS Research talk

On Monday evening, Professor Robin Franklin (one of the top MS researchers in the UK) gave a presentation on the future of MS research. I didn't attend, but an attendee posted this summary on the UK MS Society website. Thought it may be of interest.

The Future of MS (MSS talk 12 May 2008)

This was an excellent talk last night by Professor Robin Franklin from the Cambridge Myelin Repair Project whose team works ...
Read more : Future of MS Research talk | Views : 1700 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Interferon and stem cells

It's what we've all been dreaming of: a way to combine one of the most promising future MS treatments with the crap we're currently stuck with!

Stem cell based delivery of IFN-beta reduces relapses in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis.

J Neuroimmunol. 2008 May 7
Makar TK, Trisler D, Bever CT, Goolsby JE, Sura KT, Balasubramanian S, Sultana S, Patel N, Ford D, Singh IS, Gupta A, Valenzuela RM, Dhib-Jalbut S.
VA Maryland Healthcare System, Baltimore, MD ...
Read more : Interferon and stem cells | Views : 1653 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Stem Cells

Experience Project Arron = Armen Berjikly?

Experience Project reaches a million user posts in a year, raises $3 million

May 13th, 2008 - Experience Project has quietly drawn a big community of people who share life experiences with each other anonymously. Since it started a little more than a year ago, users have created a million distinct experiences on intimate subjects such as “I live in a sexless marriage.” The company has raised $3 million in ...
Read more : Experience Project | Views : 2325 | Replies : 5 | Forum : General Discussion

Warning- tetracyclines + headache

Jeff has a monster migraine (first one) throbbing temples. I'm hoping it's not from mino causing intracranial hypertension. Will check with neuro tomorrow. His vision is OK, (and he's not an obese woman), but he says he's never had a headache like this one. May be at ER before the night is out-
send good thoughts, please
AC ... 0/613?etoc
Read more : Warning- tetracyclines + headache | Views : 3585 | Replies : 13 | Forum : Antibiotics

Haven't had one like this in a long time. In fact, I can't recall if I have had one quite like this.

I started my Copaxone 3 days ago (3rd injection today). I'm also taking tetracycline for an acne issue.

Woke up with a bit of a headache, that never went away after taking 2 extra strength Tylenol. Due to various reasons, I couldn't just roll over and go back to sleep. I also got ...
Read more : Headaches | Views : 4986 | Replies : 41 | Forum : General Discussion

Anti-inflammation drugs - preclinical and phase 1/2

Both of these could benefit MS down the line.

Modulation of RNA Splicing Focuses on Inflammatory Diseases, Including Rheumatoid Arthritis

In this study, treatment with LNA oligonucleotides, developed by Santaris, induced alternative RNA splicing of TNF receptor 2, resulting in a switch from the membrane-bound to a soluble protein form, thus creating a "decoy" receptor, which accumulated in the circulation of treated mice. The generated soluble TNF receptor protein antagonized TNF-alpha, interfered with its inflammatory ...
Read more : Anti-inflammation drugs - preclinical and phase 1/2 | Views : 1487 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

When is Sciatica NOT Sciatica!

Hi guys,

I've got ( what I think is ) Sciatica. Had it bad 4 years ago and got acupuncture. Disappeared.

Now I've done the ON thing and got an MRI result with three spots and....the Sciatica which had started to twinge really went for it last night :cry:

would appreciate your sciatica stories and if it might be MS symptoms instead. Woke up ...
Read more : When is Sciatica NOT Sciatica! | Views : 11162 | Replies : 8 | Forum : General Discussion

An alternative to steroids?

Hi. I'm wondering if anyone has had experiences with treatments other than steroids for relapses. My girlfriend has MS. She recently started physical therapy and is having problems with leg numbness during the therapy. It's like the PT is making her worse rather than better. She's been on prednisone previously but doesn't want to go back on it. Have any of you used other medications/preparations with success in treating the inflammatory symptoms? I've started reading ...
Read more : An alternative to steroids? | Views : 2880 | Replies : 10 | Forum : General Discussion

Ameircan Academy of Neurology Meeting

Two groups reported on the use of low dose naltrexone (LDN). Naltrexone is an opioid antagonist that has been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the treatment of addictions to opioids and alcohol. At significantly lower doses, it has been prescribed as a treatment for a variety of diseases. Dr. Gianvito Martino (San Raffaele Hospital, Milan, Italy) and colleagues administered 5 mg of LDN to 40 people with primary-progressive MS for ...
Read more : Ameircan Academy of Neurology Meeting | Views : 3477 | Replies : 3 | Forum : Low Dose Naltrexone

Research money for brain ailments

This sounds promising...

Legislation Introduced to Spur Treatments for Brain Ailments

Scientific America - Lawmakers yesterday introduced legislation designed to speed the development of new, safer therapies for brain and nervous system disorders and injuries, which affect an estimated 100 million Americans and costs an estimated $1.3 trillion annually to treat.

The National Neurotechnology Initiative Act (NNTI), which has bipartisan support, calls for $200 million in federal funds to be set aside annually to research ...
Read more : Research money for brain ailments | Views : 1405 | Replies : 2 | Forum : General Discussion

Login  •  Register

Total posts 234639 • Total topics 25265 • Total members 16465

Contact us | Terms of Service