It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:14 pm

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

Infections and relapses

Infection may raise MS relapse risk

Results of a study of adults with relapsing remitting multiple sclerosis point to a significant association between viral and bacterial infections and increased risk of relapse.

Investigators, in a report in the journal Neurology, note that published epidemiologic environmental observations point to infection as a possible causative factor or trigger in the onset of MS.

"Microorganisms induce strong immune responses specific for their own antigens, but microbial infections can ...
Read more : Infections and relapses | Views : 990 | Replies : 2 | Forum : General Discussion

Testosterone

This is an old story so not sure why it's news again. Seems a safe and inexpensive treatment. Not sure why they can't test it on 50 male MS patients for a year and then, if positive results are seen, add it to the armoury!

Ian

http://c.moreover.com/click/here.pl?j635116371&w=464753
Read more : Testosterone | Views : 1844 | Replies : 10 | Forum : General Discussion

2nd infusion redux

I hesitate to tell the list this until I know something more definite but 7 minutes into my 2nd Tysabri infusion on Wednesday I had an anti-phylactic (allergic) reaction. Turned bright red, couldn't breath and felt like the top of my head was going to explode. Also managed to lose my breakfast. The nurse turned off the Tysabri and gave me Benedril and 250 mg of solumedrol. Not fun but all I could think was ...
Read more : 2nd infusion redux | Views : 6016 | Replies : 23 | Forum : Tysabri (Antegren or Natalizumab)

Atlanta

Of interest to MS patients in Atlanta

Ian

TYSABRI NOW BEING ADMINISTERED AT MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS CENTER OF ATLANTA

The Multiple Sclerosis Center of Atlanta (MSCA) has announced it is now administering TYSABRI® (natalizumab), the drug recently re-released by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). TYSABRI, manufactured by Biogen Idec and Elan Corp., treats relapsing forms of multiple sclerosis (MS) to reduce the frequency of clinical relapses. TYSABRI is the first humanized monoclonal antibody ...
Read more : Atlanta | Views : 2662 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Tysabri (Antegren or Natalizumab)

Sorry for the newbie question -- Why Avonex?

Hi, my name is Sarah and I am here to ask a slightly more detailed version of the ultimate newbie question... "why Avonex?"

I have spent a lot of time reading the wonderfully helpful boards here and I have what I think is a slightly more specific spin on this quesion -- I am most interested to hear people's thoughts on the potential for serious side effects relating to liver and other organ function.

After ...
Read more : Sorry for the newbie question -- Why Avonex? | Views : 3014 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Avonex

MBP8298

BioMS Medical expands pivotal multiple sclerosis trial into Spain and Germany

BioMS Medical Corp, a leading developer in the treatment of multiple sclerosis (MS), today announced it has received approval from the Spanish Agency for Medicines and Healthcare Products (SAMHP) in Spain and from the Federal Institute for Medicines and Medical Products in Germany to start patient enrolment for its pivotal phase II/III clinical trial of MBP8298, a proprietary synthetic peptide for the treatment ...
Read more : MBP8298 | Views : 1202 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

Sativex

The makers of Sativex are seeking the treatment to be licenced in the UK and Europe. It has been licenced in Canada for some time. Has anyone from Canada had any experience of this treatment?

Ian

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5319786.stm
Read more : Sativex | Views : 1050 | Replies : 3 | Forum : General Discussion

Another bloody stem cell story

What depresses me about the Dutch stem cell treatment fiasco, is not that the treatment didn't work, but that you get to see what this vile disease does to people. My heart goes out to the woman in this story.

Ian

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hamp ... 312320.stm
Read more : Another bloody stem cell story | Views : 1534 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Stem Cells

p53

I'm noticing a lot of research abstracts mentioning p53 lately. I don't have a clue what it is, but if you look through old posts at ThisIsMS, you'll see some threads from OddDuck and BioDocFL talking a bit about it. I also just saw this abstract from last year from Vanderbilt and one of the oft-referenced researchers around here, Sriram.

Defective ATM-p53-mediated apoptotic pathway in multiple sclerosis.

Ann Neurol. 2005 Oct;58(4):577-84.
Deng X, Ljunggren-Rose A, ...
Read more : p53 | Views : 1284 | Replies : 3 | Forum : General Discussion

More on EBV

We haven't had nearly enough posts on EBV in the last couple of weeks. I hope this article hasn't already been posted.

Epstein-Barr virus may increase risk of multiple sclerosis

Researchers have found that patients with multiple sclerosis carry a population of immune cells that overreact to Epstein-Barr virus.
The virus, which causes mononucleosis and may contribute to some cancers, has long been suspected to play a role in multiple sclerosis. However, the mechanism linking ...
Read more : More on EBV | Views : 1058 | Replies : 3 | Forum : General Discussion

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 220762 • Total topics 22871 • Total members 14444

Contact us | Terms of Service