It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:14 am

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

Betaferon and the BENEFIT study

Betaferon Demonstrates Robust Reduction in Risk of Developing Multiple Sclerosis Across All Subgroups of Benefit study

BERLIN, September 29, 2006-Schering AG (FSE: SCH, NYSE: SHR), Germany, announced today results from the subgroup analysis of the BENEFIT* study which showed that Betaferon® (interferon beta-1b) 250mcg treatment reduced the risk of developing clinically definite MS (CDMS) consistently across all subgroups regardless of age, gender, steroid treatment or symptoms at onset of disease.1 These data were part of ...
Read more : Betaferon and the BENEFIT study | Views : 838 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

swollen lymph nodes

I have been on Rebif for about a month and a half now. I am getting swelling in the lymph nodes and around the front of the ear on the edge of the face. Slightly sore. Is this a common side effect with Rebif?
Robin
Read more : swollen lymph nodes | Views : 5134 | Replies : 5 | Forum : Rebif

Calpain inhibitor

I'm not very scientific but I did read that Calpain is a mediator of myelin breakdown so maybe this will be a promising avenue for research.

A novel calpain inhibitor for the treatment of acute experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis.Hassen GW, Feliberti J, Kesner L, Stracher A, Mokhtarian F.
SUNY Downstate Medical Center, USA.

Aberrant activation of calpain plays a key role in the pathophysiology of several neurodegenerative disorders. Calpain is increasingly expressed in inflammatory cells in ...
Read more : Calpain inhibitor | Views : 1390 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

see general

I posted new research related to antibiotics in MS on the general forum here http://www.thisisms.com/ftopict-3016.html

I wanted people who were not using antibiotics already to see it as it has general interest, but for those already on board with antibiotics I wanted a thread here too. I'm sorry Aaron if I did this poorly, I did my best to do it in such a say everyones needs were met... ...
Read more : see general | Views : 1514 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Antibiotics

MS/infection

A new abstract is available ahead of article print on pubmed. Copied below...
Multiple sclerosis: an infectious syndrome involving Chlamydophila pneumoniae.

Stratton CW, Wheldon DB.
Department of Pathology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN 37232, USA.

The concept of autoimmune myelinopathy as the primary pathology in multiple sclerosis (MS) is problematic. Vasculitis is seen in the MS brain, both within lesions and in adjacent normal-appearing white matter. The first observation in acute relapse is the sudden, ...
Read more : MS/infection | Views : 8230 | Replies : 34 | Forum : General Discussion

twitching eye-lid

Awhile ago I posted about weakness in my right eyelid. That's still a constant.

Now, for the last two weeks my *left* eyelid twitches. Perhaps about 20 seconds at a time. But it happens so very, very often during the day.

Today, my husband was able to catch a glimpse of it in action. He said that the movement seemed to come from the the middle of the eyelid and the eyelid moved up and ...
Read more : twitching eye-lid | Views : 15905 | Replies : 14 | Forum : General Discussion

BBB / global disease

Dear all,

The UK MS Society recently profiled the work of Prof John Greenwood whose work focuses on the BBB.

<shortened url>

By coincidence, I came across the following research on the BBB.

<shortened url>

It got me thinking about whether MS was a global disease of the CNS rather than a focal disease based on lesions etc. I e-mailed one of my neuros who responded -

You are correct that MS is a generalized ...
Read more : BBB / global disease | Views : 959 | Replies : 2 | Forum : General Discussion

I eliminated my post

I eliminated my post
Read more : I eliminated my post | Views : 6241 | Replies : 12 | Forum : Natural Approach

Rituxan update

I know this is probably supposed to be a positive article on Rituxan but it kinds of scares me with all the adverse reaction info. Still we'll have to wait and see I guess.

Rituxan is effective in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis

A Phase II study of Rituximab ( Rituxan ) for relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis ( RRMS ) met its primary endpoint.
The study of 104 patients showed a statistically significant reduction in the total number ...
Read more : Rituxan update | Views : 1380 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

Very interesting ECTRIMS Abstract

After careful consideration, this abstract gets my vote for most interesting news from ECTRIMS 2006. To cut to the chase, this small study showed a reduction in annual relapse rate sustained over 5 years of 87.5% (from an average of 1.0 per year to an average of 0.125 per year)! The other good news is they say they have the funding to do a phase II trial.

Immunomodulation - Part I

Thursday, September 28, 2006, ...
Read more : Very interesting ECTRIMS Abstract | Views : 1753 | Replies : 4 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 221786 • Total topics 23030 • Total members 14554

Contact us | Terms of Service