It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:27 pm

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

Embryonic stem cell trials coming

Wow, it looks like there are actually going to be trials, and it's to attempt to repair the central nervous system!

First embryonic stem cell trial on the cards

17 June 2006 - NewScientist.com news service - THE first treatment derived from embryonic stem cells might soon undergo clinical trials. The cells would be used to help repair damaged spinal tissue.

One of the main concerns with embryonic stem cell (ESC) treatments has been the ...
Read more : Embryonic stem cell trials coming | Views : 1410 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Stem Cells

Mechanism regulating new cell production discovered

So much stem cell research going on these days...

New stem-cell findings can help the body to cure itself

Researchers at Karolinska Institutet have identified an important mechanism that regulates how many new cells are produced by each intestinal stem cell. The study is published in the latest issue of the prestigious scientific journal Cell.

"This might eventually help us develop new drugs for things like neurological disorders and anaemia," says Professor Jonas Frisén.

In ...
Read more : Mechanism regulating new cell production discovered | Views : 1239 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Stem Cells

Currently going through stem cell transplant

Hello everyone, I am currently in the middle of my stem cell transplant for MS in Ottowa Canada. I currently have a hickman line attached and have been through the first cemo sessions along with the Neupagen shots for my collection. I am currently waiting for my final cemo and the reinsertion of my stem cells which will start in July. My strenghth is almost at my baseline again and I will try to respond ...
Read more : Currently going through stem cell transplant | Views : 1462 | Replies : 5 | Forum : General Discussion

Currently going through stem cell transplant

Hello everyone, I am currently in the middle of my stem cell transplant for MS in Ottowa Canada. I currently have a hickman line attached and have been through the first cemo sessions along with the Neupagen shots for my collection. I am currently waiting for my final cemo and the reinsertion of my stem cells which will start in July. My strenghth is almost at my baseline again and I will try to respond ...
Read more : Currently going through stem cell transplant | Views : 1768 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Stem Cells

Interesting startup company

I like the viral angle...

Biotech startup VLST gets $55 million

Seattle P-I - June 16 - VLST Corp., a tiny Seattle biotechnology company that was formed by two former Amgen researchers, has scored $55 million in venture capital that it will use to develop experimental treatments for diseases such as lupus, psoriasis and multiple sclerosis.

The financing -- the 16th-biggest venture capital deal in the country this year and the largest in Washington state ...
Read more : Interesting startup company | Views : 1227 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

Guiding growing nerves.

More from 'Eurekalert!', though not strictly about MS. So, when you've grown yourself a brand, spanking new nervous system from stem cells, how do you connect it up? FGFs may help, although I think this may be more about peripheral rather than central nerves, it does mention spinal cord injury.

Public release date: 15-Jun-2006

New roles for growth factors: Enticing nerve cells to muscles
La Jolla, CA - During embryonic development, nerve cells hesitantly extend ...
Read more : Guiding growing nerves. | Views : 867 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Next life - make me a mouse

Oral therapy which is good on mice.

Ian

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Resear ... June15.asp
Read more : Next life - make me a mouse | Views : 1317 | Replies : 3 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

Number of lesions

Someone asked about the number of lesions and the correlation with disability. Here is an answer from the Canada MS site.

http://www.msanswers.ca/QuestionView.aspx?L=2&QID=240

Dr Myles looks a bit scary!

New technologies will allow the damage to neurons and axons to be measured which should provide a more accurate prognosis. My difficulty is - what if the scans suggest that you will become very severely disabled? What's the point of knowing ...
Read more : Number of lesions | Views : 1208 | Replies : 3 | Forum : General Discussion

The Long and Winding Road - Hi Everyone!

Hi everyone,

My name's Craig and I was diagnosed about 5 years ago. I turned 26 in May, and I live in the Toronto area.

I started Rebif-44 shortly after my diagnosis, and it kept me pretty stable for about 3.5 years, then things went downhill. All of a sudden I lost sensation in some of my fingers, developed some heat sensitivity, and had some gait issues.

After these symptoms I looked into complementary treatments. ...
Read more : The Long and Winding Road - Hi Everyone! | Views : 1525 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Introductions

Tysabri Free Webcast

Healthtalk.com Hosts Free Patient Webcast on Multiple Sclerosis and the FDA's Reapproval of Tysabri June 22nd, 8:30 PM (Eastern)

Program to Feature Prominent MS Experts Discussing the Drug and What It Means for Consumers

SEATTLE, June 15 /PRNewswire/ --

WHAT: HealthTalk Inc., a pioneer in patient education delivering live
and web-based programs on the latest treatments and research
news, is hosting a live webcast for Multiple Sclerosis
patients, their families and caregivers. Experts will be ...
Read more : Tysabri Free Webcast | Views : 1399 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Tysabri (Antegren or Natalizumab)

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 219622 • Total topics 22672 • Total members 14285

Contact us | Terms of Service