It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:32 am

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

Insulin

I don't know if this abstract has been posted here before, but it looks interesting and may provide a potential role for insulin in reducing inflammation. By the way, the abstract can be found on page 9 of the linked document.

Macronutrient intake induces oxidative and inflammatory stress while insulin causes suppression of reactive oxygen species generation and inflamamtion
    Paresh Dandona, Kaleida Health, Buffalo, NY, USA

Following our original observation that the intake of 75g ...
Read more : Insulin | Views : 2769 | Replies : 5 | Forum : Diet

Seats for Segways!

At last!

I was searching online for the zillionth time recently to see if Segways were being made with seats yet. I was finally relieved to discover that, although the Segway company itself still doesn't offer that accessory, "SegSeats" were just coming out from another supplier. And I later found that Segway dealers carry them. (Well, I assume that if one does, they all do. I could be wrong.)

My life is so much better! ...
Read more : Seats for Segways! | Views : 3887 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Shopping

Rituxin

Just for information:

I've been corresponding with my 'good' neuro about EBV and MS. I mentioned that some PP sufferers on another site were reporting good results from Rituxin (anectodal stuff, but many claimed progression had been halted).

This neuro said he was hopeful about Rituxin as it targets B-cells - one of the places where EBV lives. Just his opinion - but it will be interesting to see if the trial results (interim results) ...
Read more : Rituxin | Views : 1274 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

10-Year Data 92% Still Walking Unaided

Long-Term Copaxone(R) Study Showed 92% of Multiple Sclerosis Patients Were Still Walking Unaided After a Mean of 10 Years on Treatment

10-Year Data from the Longest Continuous Prospective Study of Any MS Drug

KANSAS CITY, Mo., May 8 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Data from a 10-year
long-term study showed that 92 percent of relapsing-remitting multiple
sclerosis (RRMS) patients in the study who remained on COPAXONE(R)
(glatiramer acetate injection) were still walking without assistance
despite an average disease ...
Read more : 10-Year Data 92% Still Walking Unaided | Views : 3939 | Replies : 12 | Forum : Copaxone

nutrition

From early trial research it seems that it is possible to stop/slow the advance of MS from nutritional inputs. (Not vitamin or mineral supplements or any "left-field" products; food based only, normal produce) Additionally, these inputs lessen the severity of tremor related strikes and fatigue related to tremor related strikes. Seeking participants in larger clinical trial. Diet inputs only, no experimental drugs or drug regimes. Localized areas only.
Read more : nutrition | Views : 1115 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

Synthetic Estrogen/Progestin Risk Info

A long time ago I indicated I would post some info on the risks of estrogen and progesterone in postmenopausal women. Sorry it's taken so long but finally here’s some information for women who may be considering hormone replacement therapy.

The most recent research found that synthetic estrogen (taken without synthetic progesterone) does not increase the risk of breast cancer. There’s also a hint, consistent with research I’ve read, that the risky culprit in hormone ...
Read more : Synthetic Estrogen/Progestin Risk Info | Views : 3640 | Replies : 1 | Forum : MS in the Golden Years

I have Lyme Disease, but not well since Adult Chicken Pox

8) Hi, This is my 1st post. It was March '92, Senior yr. in College, & I got the Adult Chicken-Pox after babysitting 5 kids with them...I ASSUMED Iwas safe...you know how that goes! I haven't been well 1 SINGLE DAY SINCE! YIKES!

I have Lyme, HHV 1 & 6 and EBV...My MRI's show Demyelixation from Chronic Lyme Disease.

Any Thoughts?

Thanx A Million~Blue Eyes
Read more : I have Lyme Disease, but not well since Adult Chicken Pox | Views : 1290 | Replies : 2 | Forum : General Discussion

BHT-3009 Phase II trial begins dosing

Bayhill doses patients with multiple sclerosis in phase II trial, raises $15.8M

Science Letter - May. 12, 2006

Bayhill Therapeutics, Inc., has begun dosing patients with BHT-3009, the company's experimental drug candidate, in a phase II company sponsored trial for multiple sclerosis.

The phase II study is a multicenter, double-blind, placebo-controlled evaluation with an MRI endpoint. In a related development, current investors indicated strong support for Bayhill's antigen-specific tolerance platform by raising an additional $15.8 ...
Read more : BHT-3009 Phase II trial begins dosing | Views : 1105 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

When is enough, enough?

Dear all,

The BBC ran the story below as part of the MS Awareness week. I've only had this disease 2 years (dxed two years ago - no symptoms before) - but this story is not a pleasant read. I'm just not sure how typical this story is - you see these terms 'late stage MS', 'end stage MS' but I'm not sure what this actually mean. They tell us that we can expect to ...
Read more : When is enough, enough? | Views : 2071 | Replies : 14 | Forum : General Discussion

Diet and Supplements in MS: A Reasonable Approach

Diet and Supplements in MS: A Reasonable Approach

In some respects, the role of diet and dietary supplements in multiple sclerosis (MS) is controversial. The most conservative, mainstream approach purports that, because the evidence is inconclusive, dietary strategies should not play a significant part in MS treatment plans. At the other end of the spectrum, some have claimed that a particular diet or supplement can cure the disease.

“Both views are overstated and are not ...
Read more : Diet and Supplements in MS: A Reasonable Approach | Views : 1890 | Replies : 6 | Forum : General Discussion

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 218762 • Total topics 22548 • Total members 14193