It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:23 pm

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

Hyperbaric oxygen

Has anyone here tried Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (breathing oxygen in a high pressure chamber)?

Does anyone know of any research into its efficacy?

I just started a course of treatment (1 dx for 3 weeks). The centre I'm going to makes no great claims, only that about 1 in 3 see an improvement in symptoms specifically improved bladder function (frequency and urgency) and improve fatigue levels. Since my current routine is to start yawning at ...
Read more : Hyperbaric oxygen | Views : 3420 | Replies : 8 | Forum : Regimens

New research: Chlamyidia pneumoniae in brain cells

This pre-publication abstract looks to be a splendid piece of laboratory work. It strengthens the case for Cpn infection especially in MS and Alzheimer's, and other brain diseases.

I've underlined two findings which seem to me to have particular importance for MS: (1)Neuronal cells: their sensitivity of neuronal cells to infection, as big producers of EB's, and their particular sensitivity to necrosis (tissue death); and (2) the finding in microglial cells that they resist active ...
Read more : New research: Chlamyidia pneumoniae in brain cells | Views : 1611 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Antibiotics

15d-PGJ(2)

Here's another one I just stumbled across that I think qualifies for pre-clinical...

Hormone regulation of microglial cell activation: relevance to multiple sclerosis.

Brain Res Brain Res Rev. 2005 Apr;48(2):322-7. Epub 2005 Jan 19.
Drew PD, Storer PD, Xu J, Chavis JA.
Department of Neurobiology and Developmental Sciences-Slot 510, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Shorey Building, Little Rock, 72205, USA. drewpauld@uams.edu

Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors (PPARs) are members of the ...
Read more : 15d-PGJ(2) | Views : 1881 | Replies : 4 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

Thymus

Read more : Thymus | Views : 831 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Methylthioadenosine (whatever that means)

Sounds like this research is still in the early stages, but they mention that MTA could be of benefit in MS, so I think it will go in the "pre-clinical" section of the pipeline.

Protective action of a molecule in inflammatory processes discovered

Henar Hevia Pérez, researcher in the area of Genic Therapy and Hepatology at the Applied Medicine Research Centre (CIMA)of the University of Navarra, has discovered the protective role of the methylthioadenosine (MTA) ...
Read more : Methylthioadenosine (whatever that means) | Views : 1124 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

Lipoic acid research

Here's another bit of evidence for lipoic acid...

Lipoic acid downmodulates CD4 from human T lymphocytes by dissociation of p56(Lck).

Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006 Apr 5
Marracci GH, Marquardt WE, Strehlow A, McKeon GP, Gross J, Buck DC, Kozell LB, Bourdette DN.
Portland Veterans Affairs Medical Center, R&D-65, 3710 SW US Veterans Hospital Road, Portland, OR 97239, USA; Department of Neurology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR, USA.

Lipoic acid is an antioxidant ...
Read more : Lipoic acid research | Views : 2325 | Replies : 5 | Forum : Natural Approach

More on insulin

I can't remember, is anyone here interested in the possible role of insulin in MS? This is for you lyndacarol...

Insulin resistance, inflammation, and cognition in Alzheimer's Disease: Lessons for multiple sclerosis.

J Neurol Sci. 2006 Apr 20
Watson GS, Craft S.
Geriatric Research, Education, and Clinical Center, Veterans Affairs Puget Sound Health Care System; Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA 98108, USA.

Insulin resistance (reduced ability ...
Read more : More on insulin | Views : 1062 | Replies : 3 | Forum : General Discussion

Muscle Twitching (fasciculations)

Something I noticed is that probably once every two days I'll get a twitching muscle in my calf muscle, thigh, forearm, or upper arm. Is this normal? Or is this indicative of active MS? The only symptom I've had of MS (which led to my diagnosis) was nystagmus in June '05, which has since gone away. I am a 26 y/o male. Does anyone else experience this? It has never really concerned me, but it ...
Read more : Muscle Twitching (fasciculations) | Views : 15179 | Replies : 5 | Forum : General Discussion

More lesions

The researchers have found that we've got more lesions than we thought.

http://www.msif.org/en/research/researc ... f_les.html
Read more : More lesions | Views : 1054 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 218700 • Total topics 22538 • Total members 14184