It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:02 am

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

p75NTR

Mentions other brain disease, so I'm assuming MS included.

The really interesting bit is:

"In further tests, the research team discovered that the compounds can also inhibit the death of oligodendrocytes, the cells in the central nervous system that form myelin, the insulating sheath surrounding nerve cells.

Normally, oligodendrocytes die when exposed to proneurotrophins – precursor forms of neurotrophins that have been implicated as agents of tissue damage in multiple sclerosis, spinal cord injury and ...
Read more : p75NTR | Views : 1273 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

The pathology of multiple sclerosis: a paradigm shift.

Dear all,

I was interested to read the research on the front page. I think it was earlier this week that I posted some comments by my good neuro (one of the UK's top MS researchers), that he considered that the problem was that the myelin making cells were damaged / killed because they were in a "sick micro-environment". I assume (my view) that the sick micro-environment might be due to a virus or some ...
Read more : The pathology of multiple sclerosis: a paradigm shift. | Views : 1938 | Replies : 14 | Forum : General Discussion

Recently diagnosed with MS Need advice/support!

Hi My Name is Nuala,
As i said in the subject i need advise on MS Does anyone find it hard to explain to family & friends how sad your feelin! :( are you happy sometimes then so so mad :x asking the question why me :?: I celebrated my 30th ...
Read more : Recently diagnosed with MS Need advice/support! | Views : 1855 | Replies : 6 | Forum : Introductions

Depression and Interferon Beta

Public release date: 17-May-2006

axa47@psu.edu
814-865-9481
Penn State

Depression in MS patients clue to better treatment

Depression increases in some patients with multiple sclerosis over time, according to neuropsychologists, and this research finding could help reduce depression in patients and aid in better treatment strategies.

"Depressed mood in patients with multiple sclerosis changes more significantly over time than other stable depression symptoms such as a negative view ...
Read more : Depression and Interferon Beta | Views : 965 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Microsoft Powerpoint

Today I posted a number of presentations from the UK MS Society Life Conference. When I opened these at work they were fine but I could not open them at home because I don't have PowerPoint - which you need to open them.

Ian
Read more : Microsoft Powerpoint | Views : 1081 | Replies : 2 | Forum : General Discussion

Presentation

One for you HarryZ - UK MS Society presentation on Tysabri

Ian

http://www.mssociety.org.uk/document.rm?id=1405
Read more : Presentation | Views : 1754 | Replies : 3 | Forum : Tysabri (Antegren or Natalizumab)

Combination therapies

UK MS Society - presentation on combination therapies - Mike Boggiled is very highly regarded by hhis patients.

Ian

http://www.mssociety.org.uk/document.rm?id=1407
Read more : Combination therapies | Views : 1020 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Presentation on fatigue

Read more : Presentation on fatigue | Views : 1029 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Presentation

UK MS Presentation on Statins. They look promising but still issues to be resolved.

Ian

http://www.mssociety.org.uk/document.rm?id=1406
Read more : Presentation | Views : 3506 | Replies : 3 | Forum : Statins

Hormones

One for you Sharon -

UK MS Society - presentation on hormones.

Bigger studies needed but results are promising (particulalry testosterone for men).

Ian

PS Given the good results from testosterone gel (for men) - I would be more than happy to start now. What's the risk? Disability? But we're going to get that anyway! By the time they prove it is safe - there won't be much of my brain left to save!

Read more : Hormones | Views : 1401 | Replies : 2 | Forum : General Discussion

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 219307 • Total topics 22627 • Total members 14266

Contact us | Terms of Service