It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:23 am

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

US court grants drug access after phase I trials

Interesting US court decision that could end up with some/all patients being given access to drugs after phase I trials.

FDA Shock

In a stunning decision the DC Circuit Court of Appeals ruled yesterday that dying patients have a due process right to access drugs once they have been through FDA approved safety trials. The FDA's refusal to allow firms to sell and patients to buy these drugs "impinges upon an individual liberty deeply rooted ...
Read more : US court grants drug access after phase I trials | Views : 794 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General Discussion

Fibroblast growth factor 2

I like that they were able to remyelinate even after chronic demyelination in this study -- lucky mice.

Endogenous Cell Repair of Chronic Demyelination.

J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 2006 Mar;65(3):245-256.
Armstrong RC, Le TQ, Flint NC, Vana AC, Zhou YX.
From the Department of Anatomy, Physiology, and Genetics (RCA, TQL, NCF, Y-XZ) and the Program in Neuroscience (RCA, NCF, ACV), Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland.

In multiple sclerosis lesions, remyelination typically ...
Read more : Fibroblast growth factor 2 | Views : 1001 | Replies : 2 | Forum : General Discussion

Uncoupling Protein 2

Uncoupleing Protein 2 is a new one on me. It looks interesting because it is involved in neuroprotection AND plays a role in insulin secretion.

Uncoupling Protein 2 Has Protective Function during Experimental Autoimmune Encephalomyelitis.

Am J Pathol. 2006 May;168(5):1570-1575.
Vogler S, Pahnke J, Rousset S, Ricquier D, Moch H, Miroux B, Ibrahim SM.
M.D. Institute of Immunology, University of Rostock, Schillingallee 70, 18055 Rostock, Germany; or to Bruno Miroux, Ph.D., BioTram, CNRS UPR9078, Faculte ...
Read more : Uncoupling Protein 2 | Views : 828 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

MBP8298

Not big news, but it's another hurdle jumped...

BioMS Medical's pivotal multiple sclerosis trial receives fourth positive review from Data Safety Monitoring Board

May 3 - CNW - BioMS Medical today announced that following the fourth meeting of the independent Data Safety Monitoring Board (DSMB), the Company has received a recommendation to continue its pivotal phase II/III clinical trial for MBP8298 for the treatment of secondary progressive multiple sclerosis.

"The recommendation by the independent DSMB ...
Read more : MBP8298 | Views : 2641 | Replies : 5 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

Comparing Medical Doctors in the UK and the US..........

...................with special reference to one in particular.

It occurred to me, with reference to this thread: http://thisisms.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1409&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15 (this brings you to page 2) that most people using this forum are going to be more familiar with the American certification of medical doctors and won't necessarily know much about the English one. This could inadvertently lead to some misunderstandings.

The English equivalent of an MD is MB ChB (bachelor of medicine, bachelor of chirurgery ). This ...
Read more : Comparing Medical Doctors in the UK and the US.......... | Views : 767 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Allon Therapeutics

They say they plan to initiate phase II trials in 2006, and that there will be multiple trials, so I hope they include MS...

Allon Therapeutics Presents CSF and Bioavailability Data at IBC's TIDES 2006

CCNMatthews - May 2, 2006 - Allon Therapeutics Inc. has presented a case study during IBC's "TIDES 2006: Oligonucleotide and Peptide Technology and Product Development" in Carlsbad, California.

This pre-clinical study confirmed that Allon's drug candidates penetrate the blood brain ...
Read more : Allon Therapeutics | Views : 1106 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

Blockbusters

They are talking about "blockbusters" for MS over the next 10 years. I think that means a drug with over US$ 1 billion in annual revenues. They may be right that there aren't any on the horizon for MS, but I don't think it's correct that there won't be any new drugs in the next 10 years which are far more effective than anything we have today, including Tysabri.

FDA's Likely Approval to Relaunch Tysabri, ...
Read more : Blockbusters | Views : 1685 | Replies : 5 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 220082 • Total topics 22758 • Total members 14363

Contact us | Terms of Service