It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:24 pm

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

Tovaxin Update/Trial

This from BBC news.

MS vaccine testing to start in US

Researchers are working towards having an MS vaccine
A US company is set to begin a trial of a vaccine which it claims halts the progress of multiple sclerosis.

PharmaFrontiers is to test its tailor-made vaccine on 100 patients with MS, after a small-scale study showed promise, New Scientist reports.

MS experts have welcomed the research but urged caution because other vaccines have not ...
Read more : Tovaxin Update/Trial | Views : 1586 | Replies : 3 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

Nose cells

Human trials using nose cells to replace damaged nerves are to begin in the UK this year. This trial is from the US and involves rats.

Ian

http://c.moreover.com/click/here.pl?j482802041&w=464753
Read more : Nose cells | Views : 1289 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Stem Cells

The pharma industry

I read postings on this forum on a regular basis and quite often it amases me. We all have an awful disease and it is a rough ride. But i think we are very quick to judge..

common themes include

Anti - CRABS (well I'm on copaxone and doing great - I know its not for everyone, but I cant be the only one who is doing well on it? OK so its not a ...
Read more : The pharma industry | Views : 2533 | Replies : 12 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

Selling Sickness

I just finished reading Selling Sickness by Ray Moynihan and Alan Cassels and I wanted to recommend it. The book is well written and documented. It discusses problems with health care that stem from the pharmaceutical industry's financial influence over everything from doctor and patient education, patient support groups, to the very creation and marketing of "new disease conditions" in order to broaden their potential market for both new and old drugs.

Selling Sickness: How ...
Read more : Selling Sickness | Views : 3067 | Replies : 3 | Forum : Reading Nook

Generic interferons

Not that anybody is excited about interferons, but if they must be taken at least they might be about to get cheaper...

Ratiopharm: competes with Stada, Sandoz on biogeneric drugs

Mar 8, 2006 - Marketwatch - German generic drug maker Ratiopharm GmbH Wednesday said it is competing with German generics company Stada AG and Novartis AG's generic subsidiary Sandoz in the race for biogeneric drugs to be approved in Europe.

Although the company, which had ...
Read more : Generic interferons | Views : 1272 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

Pharmaceutical Wonder Drug

There's nothing like a good laugh. It's funny because it's true, from our friends at theonion.com. :D

Original link: http://www.theonion.com/content/node/46032&rss=1

Dunmann.

Wonder Drug Inspires Deep, Unwavering Love Of Pharmaceutical Companies

March 6, 2006 | Issue 42•10

NEW YORK—The Food and Drug Administration today approved the sale of the drug PharmAmorin, a prescription tablet developed by Pfizer to treat chronic distrust ...
Read more : Pharmaceutical Wonder Drug | Views : 907 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General Discussion

ANA: Impaired Gene Cluster Singled Out in Multiple Sclerosis

Someone may have posted this already but I missed it:

ANA: Impaired Gene Cluster Singled Out in Multiple Sclerosis

By Paula Moyer, MedPage Today Staff Writer
Reviewed by Zalman S. Agus, MD; Emeritus Professor at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine.
September 27, 2005

MedPage Today Action Points (this is aimed at doctors):

Explain to patients who ask that the genes of interest are the major histocompatibility complex (MHC) genes, which normally help discern ...
Read more : ANA: Impaired Gene Cluster Singled Out in Multiple Sclerosis | Views : 997 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Tysabri Recommended for Reapproval

This is big enough news to post in General Discussion. The advisory committee panel has voted unanimously in favor of re-approving Tysabri.

http://www.thisisms.com/modules.php?nam ... le&sid=259
Read more : Tysabri Recommended for Reapproval | Views : 927 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Mediterranean diet has anti-inflammatory effects

Although this article was not related to MS and the study done was with the elderly, it could have implications for us MSers as we are all aware that inflammation can be a bad thing. In a nut shell, this study proves a Mediterranean diet (consisting of fruits, vegetables, legumes, nuts, seeds and grains, meat and meat products, dairy products, fish, alcohol and the mono-unsaturated-to-saturated fat ratio) can influence inflammation.

Original link: ...
Read more : Mediterranean diet has anti-inflammatory effects | Views : 1026 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General Discussion

MS drug Tysabri should return to market: Panel Decision

Results from the panel meeting yesterday.

Original link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060308/hl_nm/tysabri_dc

Dunmann.

GAITHERSBURG, Maryland (Reuters) - Biogen Idec's (Nasdaq:BIIB - news) multiple sclerosis drug Tysabri should return to the market with safeguards to closely monitor patients for a potentially fatal complication, a U.S. advisory panel unanimously ruled on Wednesday.

Biogen and marketing partner Elan Corp. (NYSE:ELN - news) (ELN.I) voluntarily suspended sales in February 2005 after three patients developed a brain ...

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 218691 • Total topics 22537 • Total members 14184