It is currently Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:59 pm

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

Worst nightmare

I could cope with a limp, fuzziness in the fingers, a need to visit the toilet in a hurry, but the nightmare scenario for me is anything which affects my cognitive functioning. This research article, like many others, notes the loss of grey matter in addition to white matter (myelin).

As usual observations rather than explanations.

http://www.msif.org/en/research/researc ... r_pro.html

Bromley

Does this research call into question the notion that ...
Read more : Worst nightmare | Views : 829 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General Discussion

More than inflammation

When I was first dx I was told that MS was an inflammatory disease of the CNS. Being naive I thought that new drugs which dampen the inflammation would solve the problem. But MS is never simple. The following research paper notes that - 'The inflammatory activity and destructiveness of the multiple sclerosis process are to some degree independent of each other'.

As usual the researchers are good at observing but less good at working ...
Read more : More than inflammation | Views : 831 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Rituximab

Rituximab (rituxan) is in Phase ii trials (Biogen is the drugs company behind rituxan).

The following research paper suggests it has benefits - it affects B cells (rather than the usual T cells)

Bromley

http://www.msif.org/en/research/researc ... tabil.html
Read more : Rituximab | Views : 1223 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

More new info. on David Wheldon's site................

..................on this page:

http://www.davidwheldon.co.uk/relapse_pseudo.html

Peripheral Nerve Inflammation and Central Pain
Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy

A number of people with chronic infection with Chlamydia pneumoniae, whether or not they have MS, can get what can be described as a deep, grinding bone pain; it has a crushing quality. It does not correspond to any recognised area supplied by a sensory nerve, and it can travel along a limb, one moment being in the shoulder and the next ...
Read more : More new info. on David Wheldon's site................ | Views : 1752 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Antibiotics

Just learned about the antibotic & MS connection

My husband has a progressive form of MS they say. His symtoms came on quickly and he his have extreme problems now, and they believe it to be primary progressive.

I read the information about chlamydia pneumoniae from David Wheldon. I found several other articles posted in the Library of Medicine publication reviewing the bacterial connection.

We had thought my husband may have Lyme but maybe it this bacteria. We are visiting my husband local ...
Read more : Just learned about the antibotic & MS connection | Views : 2097 | Replies : 6 | Forum : Antibiotics

Nanotechnology collaboration

Another post that's not MS-specific, but these global medical research collaborations give me such a warm, fuzzy feeling...or is that just my MS?...whatever...

MIT launches global nanotech push

Globe Staff - October 12, 2005 - Leaders of 10 research universities from around the world will gather at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology today to launch an international collaboration to use nanotechnology tools for global health and medical research.

The collaboration, called GEM4, or Global Enterprise ...
Read more : Nanotechnology collaboration | Views : 761 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

more on the human proteome

Here's another interesting article...

Proteomics’ new order

September 8, 2005 - Nature - An international organization is finally bringing discipline to the study of cells’ sets of proteins. The international Human Proteome Organisation (HUPO) was launched in 2001 to much scepticism. After all, the proteome — the complete set of proteins expressed by a cell’s genome, and modified following expression — is a moving target. Its constituents change continuously according to the conditions to which ...
Read more : more on the human proteome | Views : 713 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

the human proteome

Not really about MS specifically, but I think the Human Proteome Organization can help researchers looking into all sorts of disorders...

Swedish researchers unveil a pioneering human protein database to identify and fight disease

Aug 29 2005 - Swedish researchers today unveiled the web-based Human Protein Atlas - a major breakthrough which will help scientists and the world’s research community track and understand how proteins in the human body react to disease.

Launched at the ...
Read more : the human proteome | Views : 716 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 216585 • Total topics 22129 • Total members 13918