It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:05 pm

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

Interesting startup company

I like the viral angle...

Biotech startup VLST gets $55 million

Seattle P-I - June 16 - VLST Corp., a tiny Seattle biotechnology company that was formed by two former Amgen researchers, has scored $55 million in venture capital that it will use to develop experimental treatments for diseases such as lupus, psoriasis and multiple sclerosis.

The financing -- the 16th-biggest venture capital deal in the country this year and the largest in Washington state ...
Read more : Interesting startup company | Views : 1255 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

Guiding growing nerves.

More from 'Eurekalert!', though not strictly about MS. So, when you've grown yourself a brand, spanking new nervous system from stem cells, how do you connect it up? FGFs may help, although I think this may be more about peripheral rather than central nerves, it does mention spinal cord injury.

Public release date: 15-Jun-2006

New roles for growth factors: Enticing nerve cells to muscles
La Jolla, CA - During embryonic development, nerve cells hesitantly extend ...
Read more : Guiding growing nerves. | Views : 902 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Next life - make me a mouse

Oral therapy which is good on mice.

Ian

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Resear ... June15.asp
Read more : Next life - make me a mouse | Views : 1347 | Replies : 3 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

Number of lesions

Someone asked about the number of lesions and the correlation with disability. Here is an answer from the Canada MS site.

http://www.msanswers.ca/QuestionView.aspx?L=2&QID=240

Dr Myles looks a bit scary!

New technologies will allow the damage to neurons and axons to be measured which should provide a more accurate prognosis. My difficulty is - what if the scans suggest that you will become very severely disabled? What's the point of knowing ...
Read more : Number of lesions | Views : 1237 | Replies : 3 | Forum : General Discussion

The Long and Winding Road - Hi Everyone!

Hi everyone,

My name's Craig and I was diagnosed about 5 years ago. I turned 26 in May, and I live in the Toronto area.

I started Rebif-44 shortly after my diagnosis, and it kept me pretty stable for about 3.5 years, then things went downhill. All of a sudden I lost sensation in some of my fingers, developed some heat sensitivity, and had some gait issues.

After these symptoms I looked into complementary treatments. ...
Read more : The Long and Winding Road - Hi Everyone! | Views : 1555 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Introductions

Tysabri Free Webcast

Healthtalk.com Hosts Free Patient Webcast on Multiple Sclerosis and the FDA's Reapproval of Tysabri June 22nd, 8:30 PM (Eastern)

Program to Feature Prominent MS Experts Discussing the Drug and What It Means for Consumers

SEATTLE, June 15 /PRNewswire/ --

WHAT: HealthTalk Inc., a pioneer in patient education delivering live
and web-based programs on the latest treatments and research
news, is hosting a live webcast for Multiple Sclerosis
patients, their families and caregivers. Experts will be ...
Read more : Tysabri Free Webcast | Views : 1426 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Tysabri (Antegren or Natalizumab)

PharmaFrontiers and Tovaxin

Here's some updated/new info about the company and Tovaxin. Lots of stock talk but keep scrolling as they get into the drug.

BIOTECHNOLOGY
Finding the funds to fight a disease
Multiple sclerosis therapy lures some investors

By BRETT BRUNE
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

David McWilliams is convinced PharmaFrontiers will be able to create a cost-competitive individualized therapy for people with multiple sclerosis.

But McWilliams knows he won't be able to reach this ambitious goal if ...
Read more : PharmaFrontiers and Tovaxin | Views : 1717 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

Adult and embryonic stem cells

More stem cell fun...

Gene may mean adult cells can be reprogrammed

June 14, 2006 - Reuters - A gene named after the mythical Celtic land of the ever young could help explain how to reprogram adult cells into embryonic stem cells to treat diseases, researchers said on Wednesday.

They discovered that the gene called Nanog helped to transform adult mouse cells into embryonic stem cells after cell fusion--when two cells are combined to form ...
Read more : Adult and embryonic stem cells | Views : 1277 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Stem Cells

Skin, stem cells, and nerves.

Found this on 'Eurekalert!'. Sounds incredible that skin stem cells can become CNS tissue, (no ethical issues or rejection problems if they use your own skin),but here's hoping....

Public release date: 14-Jun-2006

chelsea.gay@sickkids.ca
416-813-5045
University of Toronto

Stem cells found in adult skin can be transplanted and function in mouse models of disease
SickKids researchers behind new ...
Read more : Skin, stem cells, and nerves. | Views : 1017 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General Discussion

I eliminated my post

I eliminated my post
Read more : I eliminated my post | Views : 1612 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Antibiotics

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 221791 • Total topics 23031 • Total members 14554

Contact us | Terms of Service