It is currently Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:35 pm

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

When is enough, enough?

Dear all,

The BBC ran the story below as part of the MS Awareness week. I've only had this disease 2 years (dxed two years ago - no symptoms before) - but this story is not a pleasant read. I'm just not sure how typical this story is - you see these terms 'late stage MS', 'end stage MS' but I'm not sure what this actually mean. They tell us that we can expect to ...
Read more : When is enough, enough? | Views : 2080 | Replies : 14 | Forum : General Discussion

Diet and Supplements in MS: A Reasonable Approach

Diet and Supplements in MS: A Reasonable Approach

In some respects, the role of diet and dietary supplements in multiple sclerosis (MS) is controversial. The most conservative, mainstream approach purports that, because the evidence is inconclusive, dietary strategies should not play a significant part in MS treatment plans. At the other end of the spectrum, some have claimed that a particular diet or supplement can cure the disease.

“Both views are overstated and are not ...
Read more : Diet and Supplements in MS: A Reasonable Approach | Views : 1906 | Replies : 6 | Forum : General Discussion

IL-23

This seems too early for the pipeline even...

Anti-IL-23 therapy inhibits multiple inflammatory pathways and ameliorates autoimmune encephalomyelitis.

J Clin Invest. 2006 May 1;116(5):1317-1326.
Chen Y, Langrish CL, McKenzie B, Joyce-Shaikh B, Stumhofer JS, McClanahan T, Blumenschein W, Churakovsa T, Low J, Presta L, Hunter CA, Kastelein RA, Cua DJ.
Discovery Research, Schering-Plough Biopharma, Palo Alto, California, USA. Department of Pathobiology, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA. Experimental Pathology and Pharmacology ...
Read more : IL-23 | Views : 876 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Phase III Trial of Oral Cladribine Starts

Phase III Trial of Oral Cladribine, a Novel Investigational Therapy for Multiple Sclerosis, Begins in the United States
Thursday May 4, 8:17 am ET
Nationwide Recruitment Begins at Sites Across the U.S.

ROCKLAND, Mass. and GENEVA, May 4 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Serono (virt-x: SEO and NYSE: SRA) announced today that recruitment in the U.S. is beginning for the Phase III CLARITY study (CLAdRIbine Tablets in Treating MS OrallY Study) of oral cladribine for the treatment of ...
Read more : Phase III Trial of Oral Cladribine Starts | Views : 1924 | Replies : 6 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

Twenty-three and onward

It is several months since my last post. This is a short update for those who are interested in how antibiotics return to some people lives that were thought lost for always.

In Sept., 2004 I was very dim and fading fast when my sister found the work of David Wheldon and Charles Stratton based on the cause of MS as a bacterium of the Chlamydia family, a nasty, devious bug not even discovered until ...
Read more : Twenty-three and onward | Views : 2480 | Replies : 6 | Forum : Regimens

Restless Leg Syndrome

Not specifically for MS but may help for those with RLS.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4969870.stm
Read more : Restless Leg Syndrome | Views : 982 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Itching

Does anyone else have itching as a symptom? I had it for a short time last summer and now for the last two months, not just in my extremities but every where. I am currently taking Lyrica, Baclofen and Amitriptiline. I have phased out Neurontin and I am working on lowering my Lyrica dose. I was at 75mg twice a day, now 25mg twice a day. Not looking for free medical advice, so any help ...
Read more : Itching | Views : 1892 | Replies : 8 | Forum : General Discussion

Comparing Medical Doctors in the UK and the US..........

Copied from "General Discusson"

It occurred to me, with reference to this thread: http://thisisms.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1409&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15 (this brings you to page 2) that most people using this forum are going to be more familiar with the American certification of medical doctors and won't necessarily know much about the English one. This could inadvertently lead to some misunderstandings.

The English equivalent of an MD is MB ChB (bachelor of medicine, bachelor of chirurgery ). This is the basic ...
Read more : Comparing Medical Doctors in the UK and the US.......... | Views : 1567 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Antibiotics

US court grants drug access after phase I trials

Interesting US court decision that could end up with some/all patients being given access to drugs after phase I trials.

FDA Shock

In a stunning decision the DC Circuit Court of Appeals ruled yesterday that dying patients have a due process right to access drugs once they have been through FDA approved safety trials. The FDA's refusal to allow firms to sell and patients to buy these drugs "impinges upon an individual liberty deeply rooted ...
Read more : US court grants drug access after phase I trials | Views : 800 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General Discussion

Fibroblast growth factor 2

I like that they were able to remyelinate even after chronic demyelination in this study -- lucky mice.

Endogenous Cell Repair of Chronic Demyelination.

J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 2006 Mar;65(3):245-256.
Armstrong RC, Le TQ, Flint NC, Vana AC, Zhou YX.
From the Department of Anatomy, Physiology, and Genetics (RCA, TQL, NCF, Y-XZ) and the Program in Neuroscience (RCA, NCF, ACV), Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland.

In multiple sclerosis lesions, remyelination typically ...
Read more : Fibroblast growth factor 2 | Views : 1004 | Replies : 2 | Forum : General Discussion

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 220735 • Total topics 22867 • Total members 14440

Contact us | Terms of Service