It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:10 pm

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

Epstein-Barr Virus Might Kick-Start MS

Here's another article outlining EBVs possible influence on MS. With an illustration!

May 01, 2006
Epstein-Barr Virus Might Kick-Start Multiple Sclerosis

Researchers have found that patients with multiple sclerosis (MS) carry a population of immune cells that overreact to Epstein-Barr virus. The virus, which causes mononucleosis and may contribute to some cancers, has long been suspected to play a role in MS. However, the mechanism linking the virus to the disease was poorly understood.

Scientists ...
Read more : Epstein-Barr Virus Might Kick-Start MS | Views : 4611 | Replies : 16 | Forum : General Discussion

Benign

The term benign MS has always concerned me - if it was so benign then why would someone go to the doctor in the first place?

Physical disability for a young adult would always be difficult to cope with, but what really annoys me with this disease is the added bonus (risk of) of cognitive dysfunction. It's like - design your worse nightmare of a disease and then throw in something even worse on top. ...
Read more : Benign | Views : 1001 | Replies : 2 | Forum : General Discussion

New treatments

Came across this list of treatments - probably a bit out of date but a good summary.

Ian

http://msrrtc.washington.edu/resources/NewMSDrugs.asp
Read more : New treatments | Views : 1631 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

Tysabri approved in EU

Just something i stumbled across this morning

The EU's CHMP has recommended approval of Elan and Biogen Idec's Tysabri (natalizumab), as a monotherapy for multiple sclerosis.

The product, which was launched in the US in late 2004 and voluntarily suspended two months later, has been given the go-ahead in the EU for use to delay the progression of disability and reduce the frequency of relapses in patients with high disease activity despite treatment with a ...
Read more : Tysabri approved in EU | Views : 1460 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Tysabri (Antegren or Natalizumab)

Considering Novantrone

My Doc recommeded that I go on Novatrone due to worsening symptoms. He gave me some info on it, and one thing I noticed is that due to the lowered white blood cell count after treatment, it is recommeded that I wear a mask to protect me 10 - 21 days after infusion.

Has anyone else experienced this? I guess it makes sense, but I really don't want to walk around like Michael Jackson for ...
Read more : Considering Novantrone | Views : 5361 | Replies : 7 | Forum : Novantrone

Stem cells for MS & other neurodegenrative diseases

Just thought I'd post an article which I found quite exciting.

http://www.genengnews.com/news/bnitem.aspx?name=993540

J.
Read more : Stem cells for MS & other neurodegenrative diseases | Views : 1689 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Stem Cells

MS and Lyme

Read more : MS and Lyme | Views : 1222 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General Discussion

Smoking

This sort of research really annoys me as someone who never smoked.

Smoking Increases Risk of Multiple Sclerosis -Study

Smokers are up to three times as likely to develop multiple sclerosis than nonsmokers, according to researchers.

Researchers at the University of Bergen in Norway and Harvard University in Massachusetts surveyed 22,000 people aged 40 to 47 from 1997 to 1999 and found the risk of developing multiple sclerosis nearly three times higher for men ...
Read more : Smoking | Views : 1279 | Replies : 4 | Forum : General Discussion

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 220762 • Total topics 22871 • Total members 14444

Contact us | Terms of Service