It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:07 pm

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

Do we need worms to keep us healthy?

Fascinating theories on the emerging belief that our hyper-sterile world may be making us sick--and that we need worms in our GI tracts to help us stay healthy.

Focuses on Crohn's disease but multiple sclerosis is mentioned.

http://www.ivanhoe.com/channels/p_chann ... oryid=3573
Read more : Do we need worms to keep us healthy? | Views : 1045 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Hospital stays vs. steroids--equal in effectiveness

Got to talking with my neuro at yesterday's appointment about how I'm sure there's a correlation between stress and MS exacerbations, and she agreed. Then she told me something very interesting.

She said, in the 1970s, when docs were just at the beginning of studying steroid use and other means to alleviate MS exacerbations, they compared two things: a dose of steroids at home vs. hospitalization, which meant the patient was admitted into a caring, ...
Read more : Hospital stays vs. steroids--equal in effectiveness | Views : 1393 | Replies : 2 | Forum : General Discussion

Hormones - one for Sharon

Brains of male mice boast extra nerve insulation 01 February 2006

The brains and spinal cords of male mice contain more of the protective, fatty substance called myelin, which insulates nerve cells, than their female counterparts, new research reveals. The finding could help to explain why some neurological diseases, including multiple sclerosis, strike one sex more than another.

Robert Skoff of the Wayne State University School of Medicine in Detroit, US, and colleagues found an ...
Read more : Hormones - one for Sharon | Views : 1778 | Replies : 10 | Forum : General Discussion

Please vote for the Multiple Sclerosis Resource Centre!

Hi all.

Please can you vote for The Multiple Sclerosis Resource Centre at http://www.howtogivetocharity.org/ You will be sent a verify email which you need to click on the link to verify - please note if you use MS Hotmail, Yahoo or G-Mail your verify mail MAY go to your junkmail folder. :O(

Jessica Williams' royalties from the sales of her book How to Give to Charity, plus the same ...
Read more : Please vote for the Multiple Sclerosis Resource Centre! | Views : 1884 | Replies : 4 | Forum : General Discussion

Cost of Future Oral Drugs

Hi,

Does any one has some ideas about how much the Oral drugs I.e. FTY720 or Mylinax or BG12 etc would be priced if they are approved. Will they be priced in the same range as CARB?
Read more : Cost of Future Oral Drugs | Views : 1501 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General Discussion

Counselling - does it help?

Dear all,

Sorting through some paperwork I came across the letter that my neuro sent to my MS nurse. The final para reads 'Ian is very anxious about having a diagnosis of MS. In my opinion, his reaction is abnormal... He admitted to me that he commonly wakes in the early hours of the morning, worrying about his future.... I have recommended that he should seek formal counselling and possibly cognitive therapy to try and ...
Read more : Counselling - does it help? | Views : 7976 | Replies : 16 | Forum : General Discussion

Prions and stem cells

New insights into the functioning of stem cells...

Prions may hold key to stem cell function

30 January 2006 - NewScientist.com news service - The curative properties of stem cells may rely on prions, a new study suggests, the type of protein made infamous by mad cow disease.

Prions are a special class of protein that can change the shape and function of other proteins around them. While these are found throughout any mammal’s body, ...
Read more : Prions and stem cells | Views : 3578 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Stem Cells

pregnancy and Avonex

Plenty of info warning women to get off Avonex if they become pregnant. Also a handy registry to register yourself if you're pregnant and on Avonex at http://www.criver.com/clinical_services ... tml#Avonex.

That's all well and good. But where's the research? Where are the outcomes? Avonex has been around for years now, as have the other MS drugs. Aren't there any conclusions or initial hypotheses yet beyond just "don't do it"? ...
Read more : pregnancy and Avonex | Views : 2305 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Avonex

acetyl-L-carnitine

I had read some positive effects for acetyl-L-carnitine on fatigue in MS patients, based on a double-blinded study. I had also had some non-MS friends claim some energy benefits. The abstract on the MS study is below, I'm sure it has already been posted elsewhere.

I thought I would give it a go, starting with 250 mg with the idea of walking up to 1g total/day (in 4 250 mg increments), taking 250 mg for ...
Read more : acetyl-L-carnitine | Views : 2311 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Natural Approach

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 218660 • Total topics 22531 • Total members 14178