It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:51 am

News News of ThisIsMS

Site map of ThisIsMS » Forum : ThisIsMS

Welcome to the world's leading forum on Multiple Sclerosis research, support, and knowledge. For over 10 years, This is MS has provided an unbiased community dedicated to Multiple Sclerosis patients, caregivers, and affected loved ones.

Neurovax update

The Immune Response Corporation Announces New Business Strategy; Emphasizes Focus on Promising MS Treatment and Second Generation HIV Therapy

2/8/2006 - The Immune Response Corporation (OTCBB:IMNR) announced today that its management and the Board of Directors are implementing a new corporate and clinical strategy designed to position the Company for long-term success by more effectively leveraging its core immune-based technology for autoimmune and infectious diseases. Specifically, this strategy will focus on the accelerated development of ...
Read more : Neurovax update | Views : 1361 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

Depression and Alzheimer's

The ABC evening news on Monday had a story concerning a possible link between clinical depression and Alzheimer's. The researchers propose a link between the two, theorizing that people who suffer from depression were more likely to develope Alzheimer's. It suggested that there is a connection between the substances(?) involved in depression and the formation of plaques in the brain. Since MS suffers also exhibit plaques could there be a similar connection ? I don't ...
Read more : Depression and Alzheimer's | Views : 996 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General Discussion

LDN - How much Disability have you Overcome???

I am new here and new to LDN. I love it! I feel like I did before my MS Dx in Oct 2000.
My question is this "How much better have you gotten -- more specifically -- is there anyone out there who was bedridden before LDN and are not now??? or who has had substantial gain from this drug.
I know a lady who is bedridden from her MS and living in a nursing ...
Read more : LDN - How much Disability have you Overcome??? | Views : 2377 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Low Dose Naltrexone

Stem Cell/Placenta Implant

Not to sure what to think of this news item. Very very small study with some results.

http://www.transworldnews.com/NewsStory ... t=Politics

Dunmann.
Read more : Stem Cell/Placenta Implant | Views : 919 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Effectiveness of interferons

At last someone recognises that the real test of the interferons should relate to disability progression not relapses:

Defining the response to interferon-beta in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis patients.

Rio J, Nos C, Tintore M, Tellez N, Galan I, Pelayo R, Comabella M, Montalban X.

Unitat de Neuroimmunologia Clinica, Hospital Universitari Vall d'Hebron, Barcelona, Spain.

OBJECTIVE: Many patients with multiple sclerosis (MS) are currently receiving treatment with interferon (IFN)-beta. Early identification of nonresponder patients is crucial ...
Read more : Effectiveness of interferons | Views : 1091 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General Discussion

Update on MBP8298

Doesn't really say much about the effectiveness of the tratment

BioMS Medical's pivotal Multiple Sclerosis trial receives third positive review from Data Safety Monitoring Board 07 February 2006

EDMONTON, Feb. 7 /CNW/ - BioMS Medical Corp. a leading developer in the treatment of multiple sclerosis (MS), today announced that following the third meeting of the independent Data Safety Monitoring Board (DSMB), the Company has received a recommendation to continue its pivotal phase II/III clinical ...
Read more : Update on MBP8298 | Views : 1363 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

High-dose Methyprednisolone

Just for info

Effect of high-dose (Steroid) Methylprednisolone treatment on CCR5 expression on (blood cells) in (MS Exacerbation) 08 February 2006

This study concerning steroids & blood cells was conducted at the
Neuroimmunology Unit, Medical School, University of Tampere, Tampere, Finland.

(Summary):
Therapy of acute exacerbations of multiple sclerosis with high-dose intravenous methylprednisolone inhibits the potential transmigration of CCR5-expressing CD4(+) and CD8(+) blood cells into the central nervous system. This is consistent with the ...
Read more : High-dose Methyprednisolone | Views : 932 | Replies : 0 | Forum : General Discussion

Anti-inflammatory

Only trialled on mice, may not reach the market until 5-10 years time.

But could be another move in the right direction.

Inflammatory diseases drug developed 08 February 2006

Australian scientists say they have developed a drug that may help prevent and reverse debilitating inflammatory diseases, including rheumatoid arthritis.

The new drug, developed by the Garvan Institute of Medical Research in Sydney, also could help sufferers of multiple sclerosis (MS), asthma, sepsis, heart attack ...
Read more : Anti-inflammatory | Views : 1381 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Drug Pipeline

Vitamin D supplementation and antibiotics

http://www.davidwheldon.co.uk/vit_D.html

Vitamin D Supplementation in Multiple Sclerosis
An essential supplement for anyone using an antibiotic regime.

Brief introduction

Vitamin D is a steroid hormone; it has long been known to be concerned in the regulation of body levels of calcium and phosphorus, and in the mineralization of bone. In recent years it has become clear that Vitamin D receptors are present in numerous cell types. Evidently it has wide-ranging effects in a number of systems. ...
Read more : Vitamin D supplementation and antibiotics | Views : 1481 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Antibiotics

tricks to save energy....

Hello all.
I would be interesred in knowing all your tricks to save enegy. As you know, this DISEASE is all about saving energy as you go tbrough the day.

I have a few of my own and a few that the physiotherapist showed me:

1. I sit down slowly becaue it makes my quadriceps contract and get stronger
2. I drive a standard car to make my weak left leg work everyday.
3. At ...
Read more : tricks to save energy.... | Views : 1254 | Replies : 5 | Forum : General Discussion

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 220011 • Total topics 22748 • Total members 14352

Contact us | Terms of Service